Old 07-22-2008, 02:18 PM
Linda Hanigan

Default Way to view MS Office's new file format

Is there an open source way to view MS Office's new file format?
We are starting to get more of these annoying files as email
attachments.
Thanks
Linda

Old 07-22-2008, 02:28 PM

> From: Linda Hanigan

> Is there an open source way to view MS Office's new file format?
> We are starting to get more of these annoying files as email
> attachments.

Linda,

Sorry, I do not have answer for you. Does the latest version of Open
Office work with the new formats, yet?

However, I do have a response that you can give people that has nothing
to do with your choice of OS. Many folks have refused to migrate to the
new version of Office, myself included, because the corporate world has
not adopted it. It is actually banned in a number of places. When
someone sends a file in one of these newer formats, most of us can not
open the file and have to request a version in the older format. I have
gotten only one new format file this month. This was followed by an
apology with the same file in the older format. I didn't even have to
complain.

But, it would be nice to have a format converter, if nothing else.

Michael

product doctrine and thus protected from disclosure. If the reader
copies and backups thereof. Thank you.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Steve Grace

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 09:18 -0500, Linda Hanigan wrote:
> Is there an open source way to view MS Office's new file format?
> We are starting to get more of these annoying files as email
> attachments.
> Thanks
> Linda

I recently received a Word file with the extension ".docx" (which I
assumed was the new Office format). The file opened with no problem in
OpenOffice.org Writer.