Old 07-22-2008, 11:14 AM
"Rafael Barreto"

Default sharing folders

Anybody can tell me how I can share folders in
8.04? I can see, read and write shared folders in Windows network but Windows
cannot see Ubuntu. With 7.1 it was easy, almost automatic, but with 8.04 I don't
know possibility of sharing folders.
Thanks.
Rafael.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Georgi Kourtev

Dear all,

I tried to share a folder on my machine to be visible/used by others in my
network. When I go to folders properties and press 'Share', I got a message
that "SMB and NFS servers are not installed on this machine, to enable this
module the servers must be installed".

Which are the packages that I need to install to get this work? Thanks.
gk

Old 12-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Thomas Olsen

On Friday 04 December 2009 11:18:32 Georgi Kourtev wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I tried to share a folder on my machine to be visible/used by others in my
> network. When I go to folders properties and press 'Share', I got a
> message that "SMB and NFS servers are not installed on this machine, to
> enable this module the servers must be installed".
>
> Which are the packages that I need to install to get this work? Thanks.

Don't use SMB or NFS myself but I would guess samba samba-client samba-common
samba-common-bin nfs-client nfs-common nfs-server.

--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen

Old 12-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Steve

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:56:09 -0000, Thomas Olsen <tanghus@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday 04 December 2009 11:18:32 Georgi Kourtev wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I tried to share a folder on my machine to be visible/used by others in
>> my
>> network. When I go to folders properties and press 'Share', I got a
>> message that "SMB and NFS servers are not installed on this machine, to
>> enable this module the servers must be installed".
>>
>> Which are the packages that I need to install to get this work? Thanks.
>
> Don't use SMB or NFS myself but I would guess samba samba-client
> samba-common
> samba-common-bin nfs-client nfs-common nfs-server.

Does it not offer to install the appropriate packages, I seem to remember
it doing this when I‘ve set up sharing.

--
Steve

Old 12-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Georgi Kourtev

> > Don't use SMB or NFS myself but I would guess samba samba-client
> > samba-common
> > samba-common-bin nfs-client nfs-common nfs-server.
>
> Does it not offer to install the appropriate packages, I seem to remember
> it doing this when I‘ve set up sharing.

No, it does not.
gk

Old 12-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Abdullah Teke

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Georgi Kourtev <gkourtev@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Don't use SMB or NFS myself but I would guess samba samba-client
>> > samba-common
>> > samba-common-bin nfs-client nfs-common nfs-server.
>>
>> Does it not offer to install the appropriate packages, I seem to remember
>> it doing this when I‘ve set up sharing.
>>
> No, it does not.
> gk

You should install samba
sudo apt-get install samba then edit /etc/samba and modify them for your needs.

And use smbpasswd to add samba users for sharings. Thats all.

[share1]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = yes
path = /home/share1
guest ok = yes
readable = yes
writable = no
; valid users = %S
; valid users = MYDOMAIN\%S
[ateke]
comment = Home Dizini
browseable = no
path = /home/ateke
writable = yes
guest ok = no

--
Abdullah Teke

Old 12-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Perry

Le Friday 04 December 2009 11:56:09 Thomas Olsen, vous avez crit (you
wrote)*:
> On Friday 04 December 2009 11:18:32 Georgi Kourtev wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I tried to share a folder on my machine to be visible/used by others in
> > my network. When I go to folders properties and press 'Share', I got a
> > message that "SMB and NFS servers are not installed on this machine, to
> > enable this module the servers must be installed".
> >
> > Which are the packages that I need to install to get this work? Thanks.
>
> Don't use SMB or NFS myself but I would guess samba samba-client
> samba-common samba-common-bin nfs-client nfs-common nfs-server.
I thought NFS was mostly for sharing files on UNIX systems although you can
find M$ and MIntosh versions. I also thought Samba was the de facto M$ tool
but Linux has it an can use it against M$ or Linux machines. (Please correct
or update my knowledge if needed)

So why does the O.P. need both SMB and NFS?

Cheers Perry

--
BOFH excuse #388: Bad user karma