Old 07-20-2008, 08:48 AM
"MARCO"

Default ubuntu installation on free continuous space....

Hi all and thanks for your help.
I' ve tested ubuntu*on my notebook for a few
from live cd and now i want to install it.
i've burned the cd with iso image.
on the notebook there are two hided partition
(config EISA), a windows vista partition c:, and a d: partition.
i've reduced th c: partition in order to create
space for ubuntu (about 59 GB of not allocated space...too small??) but when i
try to install ubuntu in the page where select the positon on HDD to install, i
have only two choices:
*
-use entire disk
-manual
*
there isn't the the possibility to select

"use the most continuous fre space..." or something
like this...
*
if i'm not wrong this let to install ubuntu on a
not allocated disk space.
anyone can help me?
i've download the iso image from ubuntu.com...have
i download the wrong image?
*
thanks for help
regards
*
Marco

Old 07-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Rashkae

MARCO wrote:
> Hi all and thanks for your help.
> I' ve tested ubuntu on my notebook for a few from live cd and now i want to install it.
> i've burned the cd with iso image.
> on the notebook there are two hided partition (config EISA), a windows vista partition c:, and a d: partition.
> i've reduced th c: partition in order to create space for ubuntu (about 59 GB of not allocated space...too small??) but when i try to install ubuntu in the page where select the positon on HDD to install, i have only two choices:
>
> -use entire disk
> -manual
>
> there isn't the the possibility to select
> "use the most continuous fre space..." or something like this...

59 GB of space is *plenty*. Even after years of adding extra packages,
my install still only needs 4 GB. However, you will have to choose
"manual" to specify the space where you will be install Ubuntu. This is
where it gets tricky.

A hard drive can only have 4 primary partitions, and you already have 3.
You need 2 more partitions for a linux Install (one for swap space, one
for the install.)

You will have to create a new extended partition. Within that extended
partition, you then need to create a new 1GB swap partition, and a new
EXT3 partition (which will automatically be chosen as "/", or root, of
your Linux install)

(Note: I'm not too familiar with how it works, but you might need a
larger swap partition if you want to use suspend to disk with your
notebook. At least 2X the size of your RAM can't hurt)

Old 07-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Leonard Bussey

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 10:48 +0200, MARCO wrote:
> Hi all and thanks for your help.
> I' ve tested ubuntu on my notebook for a few from live cd and now i
> want to install it.
> i've burned the cd with iso image.
> on the notebook there are two hided partition (config EISA), a windows
> vista partition c:, and a d: partition.
> i've reduced th c: partition in order to create space for ubuntu
> (about 59 GB of not allocated space...too small??) but when i try to
> install ubuntu in the page where select the positon on HDD to install,
> i have only two choices:
>
> -use entire disk
> -manual
>
> there isn't the the possibility to select
> "use the most continuous fre space..." or something like this...
>
> if i'm not wrong this let to install ubuntu on a not allocated disk
> space.
> anyone can help me?
> i've download the iso image from ubuntu.com...have i download the
> wrong image?
>
> thanks for help
> regards
>
> Marco

Try checking out this link. It might help.
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm
HTH

Len Bussey

Old 07-23-2008, 01:15 AM
"David Fox"

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 1:48 AM, MARCO <fantonmarco@alice.it> wrote:
> the page where select the positon on HDD to install, i have only two
> choices:
>
> -use entire disk
> -manual

You want manual partitioning. Unfortunately the installer isn't smart
enough to pick the partition that has the most contiguous free space,
you need to tell it that, so tell it to use the partition you worked
on before for use as root. If there are other available places that
are free, you can use them for swap, home etc. Did you have all that
partition dedicated to Windows before? Then you might be able to use
gparted to address the other partitions (apart from the windows one)
or remove that new partition and add in others, suitable for a smaller
root file system (10 gig is almost enough), and then divvy up the
other partition for swap and/or home depending on your available space
and needs.

59 megs is sufficient and probably overkill for a root file system,
but not if you have home directories in that space. Maybe you can
split that partition up - but that might be too difficult depending on
what's on the drive already.