Old 07-22-2008, 08:28 AM
"Michael Faber"

Default PnP Bios fatal error on startup

Hi,
I've got a new notebook: Samsung Q45-Aura T5550 Tisla with Windows Vista
Now I tried Ubuntu (live) on it and got some strange messages during startup

>>PnP Bios fault .. attempting recovery
>>PnP Bios: Warning! Your PnP Bios caused a fatal error attempting to continue
>>PnP Bios: You may need to reboot with pnpbios=off
>>PnP Bios: Check with your vendor for bios update
>>PnP get_dev_node: unexpected status 0x37

Ubuntu still starts. But before I intall it I would like to know what's wrong and what I have to do to make things right.
Thanks

Old 07-22-2008, 05:43 PM
NoOp

On 07/22/2008 01:28 AM, Michael Faber wrote:
> Hi, I've got a new notebook: Samsung Q45-Aura T5550 Tisla with
> Windows Vista Now I tried Ubuntu (live) on it and got some strange
> messages during startup
>
>>> PnP Bios fault .. attempting recovery PnP Bios: Warning! Your
>>> PnP Bios caused a fatal error attempting to continue PnP Bios:
>>> You may need to reboot with pnpbios=off PnP Bios: Check with your
>>> vendor for bios update PnP get_dev_node: unexpected status 0x37
>
> Ubuntu still starts. But before I intall it I would like to know
> what's wrong and what I have to do to make things right. Thanks

At startup press F6 and enter: pnpbios=off
and then boot.
You could try to upgrade your BIOS, but using pnpbios=off is probably
the better option if there is no upgrade for your bios. To do this
permanently after the install see the comment by Harvey Muller:
<quote>
Mark,

I should have been more clear. The intent of the running "dmesg | less"
is purely so that you can find the messages of interest, and review them
in detail. It looks like you hve done so.

Based on the messages you supplied, I personally recommend that if your
manufacturer has an updated BIOS available, that you update it.
Afterwards you would want to run "dmesg | less" again, and review the
messages for the pnpbios error again. To select just the messages of
interest, you could run:

$ dmesg | grep pnpbios

If you are not comfortable flashing your BIOS for any reason, simply run
the following to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst:

$ gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Then add "pnpbios=off" to the end of the # defoptions line:

# defoptions=ro quiet splash pnpbios=off

Your defoptions line may differ a little, just add the recommended text
to the end of the line, save the file, then close the editor.

Afterwards, in a terminal, run:

$ sudo update-grub

This will update grub to use the new option. Afterwards, reboot, and
then run the dmesg line again to review for pnpbios messages.
</quote>

Note: the above won't affect anything with Windows/Vista when you
dualboot. The change will only affect linux.

The issue stems from both buggy BIOS'. See:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/1/6/243

Old 07-23-2008, 02:12 AM
James Takac

Hi

On Tuesday 22 July 2008 18:28:55 Michael Faber wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got a new notebook: Samsung Q45-Aura T5550 Tisla with Windows Vista
> Now I tried Ubuntu (live) on it and got some strange messages during
> startup
>
> >>PnP Bios fault .. attempting recovery
> >>PnP Bios: Warning! Your PnP Bios caused a fatal error attempting to
> >> continue PnP Bios: You may need to reboot with pnpbios=off
> >>PnP Bios: Check with your vendor for bios update
> >>PnP get_dev_node: unexpected status 0x37
>
> Ubuntu still starts. But before I intall it I would like to know what's
> wrong and what I have to do to make things right. Thanks
> --
> GMX Kostenlose Spiele: Einfach online spielen und Spaß haben mit Pastry
> Passion!
> http://games.entertainment.gmx.net/de/entertainment/games/free/puzzle/61691
>96

I suspect it's just a setting in your bios. You can likely get rid of the
warning by loading the failsafe defaults in your bios and rebooting. Later
you can attempt to alter settings tho I'd suggest one at a time to see which
is the culprit

James

Old 07-24-2008, 07:15 AM
Philippe Didier

NoOp wrote:
> On 07/22/2008 01:28 AM, Michael Faber wrote:
>
> The issue stems from both buggy BIOS'. See:
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/1/6/243

Hi,

(very interesting article)

I was thinking. We are aware of some constructors who are kind with
Linux ... do we know some BIOS we would prefer or not for Linux ?
Any good or bad BIOS references , for the next time we buy a laptop or
desktop ?

Philippe

Old 07-24-2008, 08:20 PM
NoOp

On 07/24/2008 12:15 AM, Philippe Didier wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 07/22/2008 01:28 AM, Michael Faber wrote:
>>
>> The issue stems from both buggy BIOS'. See:
>> http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/1/6/243
>>

> Hi,
>
> (very interesting article)
>
> I was thinking. We are aware of some constructors who are kind with
> Linux ... do we know some BIOS we would prefer or not for Linux ?
> Any good or bad BIOS references , for the next time we buy a laptop or
> desktop ?
>
> Philippe

Good question. I suspect that there are as a brief google indicates that
some bios' are blacklisted in the ACPI driver.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=linux+%2Bbad+bios+blacklist
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/2/7/448

I reckon if you're adventurous you can roll your own with coreboot :-)
[*Disclaimer* I've not tried coreboot]
http://www.coreboot.org/Welcome_to_coreboot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LinuxBIOS