FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-22-2008, 02:32 AM
'2+
 
Default to convert txt readable with simpletext@os9

am still using MacOS9 to have a script sang with SimpleText application
but it is only for that so
i want to edit the script itself on Ubuntu
and i even want to use python to algo-comp some weird songs

well
"is there anythang i can apt-get that can do the similar singings?"
is an another question but
what i want to ask with this thread is:

is there a utility
that would do the txt_created@linux.txt2txt_readable@os9.txt thang
@ cmd-line (if i could be greedy)?

tia


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-22-2008, 03:29 AM
komputes
 
Default to convert txt readable with simpletext@os9

I may be wrong here, but I thought that OS9 SimpleText and Ubuntu Text
Editor did the same thing and could read the same plain text files. I
don't know why conversion would be necessary. Can you attach/post an
example simpletext file from OS9 so I can take a look.

-komputes

'2+ wrote:
> am still using MacOS9 to have a script sang with SimpleText application
> but it is only for that so
> i want to edit the script itself on Ubuntu
> and i even want to use python to algo-comp some weird songs
>
> well
> "is there anythang i can apt-get that can do the similar singings?"
> is an another question but
> what i want to ask with this thread is:
>
> is there a utility
> that would do the txt_created@linux.txt2txt_readable@os9.txt thang
> @ cmd-line (if i could be greedy)?
>
> tia
>
>
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-22-2008, 10:48 AM
'2+
 
Default to convert txt readable with simpletext@os9

i've put the file to:
http://sarigama.namaste.jp/tmp/pt.txt

this one is made @ os9
actually it is a copy of the back up of the copy of ... so
maybe that made the file broken and as a result
am having trouble editting it @ ubuntu?

when i try to edit it
lots of ^M^M is making it difficult
and if i delete those ^M^Ms
the line that should have come next to it goes away to somewhere else

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 11:29:47PM -0400, komputes wrote:
> I may be wrong here, but I thought that OS9 SimpleText and Ubuntu Text
> Editor did the same thing and could read the same plain text files. I
> don't know why conversion would be necessary. Can you attach/post an
> example simpletext file from OS9 so I can take a look.
>
>
> '2+ wrote:
> >
> > is there a utility
> > that would do the txt_created@linux.txt2txt_readable@os9.txt thang
> > @ cmd-line (if i could be greedy)?
> >

--
'2+
http://micro.ispretty.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Andy
 
Default to convert txt readable with simpletext@os9

komputes wrote:
> I may be wrong here, but I thought that OS9 SimpleText and Ubuntu Text
> Editor did the same thing and could read the same plain text files. I
> don't know why conversion would be necessary.

Because Windows, Mac and Linux all have different ways of marking line
endings.

If your file ONLY contains Mac Line Endings try the following

tr '
' '
' < in_file.txt > out_file.txt

(where in_file.txt is the file with Mac line endings and out_file.txt is
the file you want to save to. DO NOT make these the same file!).

Andy

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-22-2008, 07:20 PM
"Chris Mohler"
 
Default to convert txt readable with simpletext@os9

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 9:32 PM, '2+ <electriclightheads@gmail.com> wrote:
> am still using MacOS9 to have a script sang with SimpleText application
> but it is only for that so
> i want to edit the script itself on Ubuntu
> and i even want to use python to algo-comp some weird songs
>
> well
> "is there anythang i can apt-get that can do the similar singings?"
> is an another question but
> what i want to ask with this thread is:
>
> is there a utility
> that would do the txt_created@linux.txt2txt_readable@os9.txt thang
> @ cmd-line (if i could be greedy)?
>
> tia

Ah, Simpletext singing - good stuff. There are at least three
text-to-speech programs in the repositories - espeak, ksayit, and
festival. IIRC, there are more voices for festival than for the
others - but I haven't played around with any of them for quite some
time.

Chris

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-22-2008, 09:13 PM
komputes
 
Default to convert txt readable with simpletext@os9

'2+ wrote:
> when i try to edit it
> lots of ^M^M is making it difficult
> and if i delete those ^M^Ms
> the line that should have come next to it goes away to somewhere else
>
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 11:29:47PM -0400, komputes wrote:
>
>> I may be wrong here, but I thought that OS9 SimpleText and Ubuntu Text
>> Editor did the same thing and could read the same plain text files. I
>> don't know why conversion would be necessary. Can you attach/post an
>> example simpletext file from OS9 so I can take a look.
>>
>>
>> '2+ wrote:
>>
>>> is there a utility
>>> that would do the txt_created@linux.txt2txt_readable@os9.txt thang
>>> @ cmd-line (if i could be greedy)?
>>>
From what I can see this document contains a lot of [[pmod XX]], [[rate
XX]] and [[pbas XX]] but no "^M"

Is this file supposed to be a normal paragraph or is it supposed to
contain all of this?

-komputes


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-23-2008, 09:39 PM
'2+
 
Default to convert txt readable with simpletext@os9

this worked perfect!! thanx
i didn't know about tr
now i can prepare songs on ubuntu ... great!
will make an alias for this command

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 12:27:50PM +0100, Andy wrote:
>
> If your file ONLY contains Mac Line Endings try the following
>
> tr '
' '
' < in_file.txt > out_file.txt
>

--
'2+
http://micro.ispretty.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 PM
'2+
 
Default to convert txt readable with simpletext@os9

well .. those make the simpletext sing a difficultsong

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 05:13:15PM -0400, komputes wrote:
> >>>
> From what I can see this document contains a lot of [[pmod XX]], [[rate
> XX]] and [[pbas XX]] but no "^M"
>
> Is this file supposed to be a normal paragraph or is it supposed to
> contain all of this?
>
--
'2+
http://micro.ispretty.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-23-2008, 09:44 PM
'2+
 
Default to convert txt readable with simpletext@os9

wow i already have festival installed
but couldn't love the guys voice
is there a way to apt-get a female voice for this app?

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 02:20:44PM -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:
>
> Ah, Simpletext singing - good stuff. There are at least three
> text-to-speech programs in the repositories - espeak, ksayit, and
> festival. IIRC, there are more voices for festival than for the
> others - but I haven't played around with any of them for quite some
> time.

--
'2+
http://micro.ispretty.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-23-2008, 11:43 PM
"Chris Mohler"
 
Default to convert txt readable with simpletext@os9

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 4:44 PM, '2+ <electriclightheads@gmail.com> wrote:
> wow i already have festival installed
> but couldn't love the guys voice
> is there a way to apt-get a female voice for this app?

I did a quick apt search and only hit on two female voices:
festvox-italp16k - Italian female speaker for Festival
festvox-suopuhe-lj - Finnish female speaker for Festival

Not sure if either of these will work. On the Festival website, they
have a demo page that lists a few female voices:
http://festvox.org/voicedemos.html

Maybe you can get other voices from their site if the others won't work?

Chris

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:07 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org