Old 07-22-2008, 01:53 AM
NoOp

Default was The pest again

On 07/21/2008 02:39 PM, Leif Gregory wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:20:50 -0700
> NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Thanks! I'll give it a go and let you know if I blow anything up :-)
>
> Hey, if it blows up, I'll be hiding out at some unnamed bar somewhere!
> <grin>

Tried it on this Gutsy machine where the WinXP is on a separate hard
drive (sdb1) and it fails... Probably Operator Headspace. I'll see if I
can figure out the problem.

However, the other machine is Hardy and the install process for VMWare
is considerably different:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware/Server
It seems that Hardy, unlike Gutsy, no longer has it in
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu xyz partner
I'll fiddle with that one on a test machine later.

In the meantime, order a single malt scotch for me while you are at the
'unnamed bar' :-)

Old 07-22-2008, 05:03 PM
NoOp

On 07/22/2008 07:21 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Mario Vukelic wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 23:01 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>>> No can do - if they're OEM installs they aren't going to work under
>>> VMWare raw-disk anyway. I know - I've been there, done that.
>>
>> Curious: what's the difference between an OEM install and another one
>> that makes this fail?
>
> Sorry, I really should have been more precise. It shouldn't "fail" - it's
> just that you get 30 days, and then Windows (XP at least) stops working.
> It should actually be possible with a Win98 SE install. With Vista you
> won't even get 30 days.

I'm going to give this another go later today. But according to the link
that Leif provided:

<http://www.venturecake.com/a-simple-guide-to-using-your-existing-windows-install-apps-in-ubuntu/>
down in the comments:

<quote>
Matt Farley
July 9th, 2007 13:04

I’ve been running this setup for a few months, but I’ve always been
annoyed by the fact that each time I switch between booting in the VM
versus booting natively, Windows needs to phone home to Microsoft to
reactivate itself.

I’m worried I’ll eventually run out of activations.

Ed:Check meb’s suggestion below.
.
.
.
meb
July 9th, 2007 13:56

If you are worried about activation, you can try adding this to the vmx
file:

SMBIOS.reflectHost = TRUE
</quote>

Multiple other useful comments there as well - including using ide
instead of scsi. That could be the problem that I had yesterday - I
configured for scsi because I actually have a scsi controller in this
machine, but the hard drives are ide, and I'm trying to mount a physical
disk rather than a partition.
[http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?language=en_US&externalId=36]

Old 07-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Leif Gregory

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:03:34 -0700
NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I'm going to give this another go later today. But according to the
> link that Leif provided:

> If you are worried about activation, you can try adding this to the
> vmx file:
>
> SMBIOS.reflectHost = TRUE
> </quote>

I didn't do that on mine, but I never natively booted it anymore. The
first time I booted into it via VM, I did have to reactivate.

--
Leif Gregory
Power Wagon Registry: http://powerwagonregistry.org

Old 07-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Derek Broughton

NoOp wrote:

> On 07/22/2008 07:21 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Mario Vukelic wrote:

>>> Curious: what's the difference between an OEM install and another one
>>> that makes this fail?
>>
>> Sorry, I really should have been more precise. It shouldn't "fail" -
>> it's just that you get 30 days, and then Windows (XP at least) stops
>> working.
>> It should actually be possible with a Win98 SE install. With Vista you
>> won't even get 30 days.
>
> I'm going to give this another go later today. But according to the link
> that Leif provided:

<http://www.venturecake.com/a-simple-guide-to-using-your-existing-windows-install-apps-in-ubuntu/>
> down in the comments:
>
> <quote>
> Matt Farley
> July 9th, 2007 13:04
>
> I’ve been running this setup for a few months, but I’ve always been
> annoyed by the fact that each time I switch between booting in the VM
> versus booting natively, Windows needs to phone home to Microsoft to
> reactivate itself.
>
> I’m worried I’ll eventually run out of activations.
>
> Ed:Check meb’s suggestion below.
> .
> .
> .
> meb
> July 9th, 2007 13:56
>
> If you are worried about activation, you can try adding this to the vmx
> file:
>
> SMBIOS.reflectHost = TRUE
> </quote>

Ah-hah! That's new. Sneaky. It sounds like they're scraping the hardware
key of the underlying machine and reporting it to Windows instead of the
key constructed for the virtual machine. It's always possible that will
break other things, but it really shouldn't (that is, the hardware key is a
hash of certain features of your machine - in the same way that the VIN on
your car says where it was made, and what model it is, etc, and so could
probably be used to check if the machine supports certain operations - but
that would have to be a pretty stupid way to do it :-) ).
--
derek