-   -   Creating an ISO from INSTALLED UBUNTU. (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/129002-creating-iso-installed-ubuntu.html)

Leif Gregory 07-21-2008 08:47 PM

Creating an ISO from INSTALLED UBUNTU.

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:10:27 -0400
elmo <elmo@ne.rr.com> wrote:

> Instead of spending a lot time in my making copies of it on my DVDs.
> I would like to be able to send the whole package via email to
> acquaintances in ISO form and let them make their own DVDs.

Sending it via e-mail is most likely not going to happen. Putting it up
on FTP maybe is a better option.

> There's a lot of info about burning ISO Image disks but a scarcity
> about the reverse process, ie., create an ISO from a working program.

See here:
http://www.walkernews.net/2007/09/22/how-to-create-cd-iso-image-in-linux/

Now, if you're wanting to make a bootable live DVD, whole 'nother ball
of wax.

--
Leif Gregory
Power Wagon Registry: http://powerwagonregistry.org

elmo 07-21-2008 08:55 PM

Danyelle Gragsone wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 4:10 PM, elmo <elmo@ne.rr.com> wrote:
>

>> I have a 8,04 DVD version installed. I have done a lot of customizing
>> it, (full desktop, some additional software, for example), so it's
>> considerably larger than it was when I first installed it. In its
>> present size, it would definitely require a DVD to hold a copy of it.
>>
>> Instead of spending a lot time in my making copies of it on my DVDs. I
>> would like to be able to send the whole package via email to
>> acquaintances in ISO form and let them make their own DVDs.
>>

> Most email clients do not allow for large data transfers.
>

>> There's a lot of info about burning ISO Image disks but a scarcity about
>> the reverse process, ie., create an ISO from a working program.
>>
>> HELP!!!
>>
>> Elmo

Looks like I'll have to make a DVD copy and pass pass it around.

Thnaks, all

Elmo

Leif Gregory 07-21-2008 08:58 PM

Creating an ISO from INSTALLED UBUNTU.

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:17:09 -0600
Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> A whole DVD of data will on my modest speed system take about 14
> hours to download. I do not want this at all!

Oops! Karl doesn't want it. Somebody tell the Ubuntu Studio guys to stop
making their DVD ISO downloads available.

Karl Larsen 07-21-2008 09:15 PM

Leif Gregory wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:17:09 -0600
> Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
>

>> A whole DVD of data will on my modest speed system take about 14
>> hours to download. I do not want this at all!
>>

> Oops! Karl doesn't want it. Somebody tell the Ubuntu Studio guys to stop
> making their DVD ISO downloads available.

Relax. I already have Hardy and can buy a DVD if needed. I have a slow
Internet and that makes d/l a long process.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

"debiani386@gmail.com" 07-21-2008 10:58 PM

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 16:10 -0400, elmo wrote:
> I have a 8,04 DVD version installed. I have done a lot of customizing
> it, (full desktop, some additional software, for example), so it's
> considerably larger than it was when I first installed it. In its
> present size, it would definitely require a DVD to hold a copy of it.
>
> Instead of spending a lot time in my making copies of it on my DVDs. I
> would like to be able to send the whole package via email to
> acquaintances in ISO form and let them make their own DVDs.
>
> There's a lot of info about burning ISO Image disks but a scarcity about
> the reverse process, ie., create an ISO from a working program.
>
> HELP!!!
>
> Elmo

well it will take a long time to send it, even over a high speed
connection. Are you sure your email provider will even let you send big
files like that? (Presumably 4 or 8 gig)

if not, then there are services such as yousendit.com that will let you
send huge files via email

--cj

"debiani386@gmail.com" 07-21-2008 11:00 PM

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 14:17 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> elmo wrote:
> > I have a 8,04 DVD version installed. I have done a lot of customizing
> > it, (full desktop, some additional software, for example), so it's
> > considerably larger than it was when I first installed it. In its
> > present size, it would definitely require a DVD to hold a copy of it.
> >
> > Instead of spending a lot time in my making copies of it on my DVDs. I
> > would like to be able to send the whole package via email to
> > acquaintances in ISO form and let them make their own DVDs.
> >
> A whole DVD of data will on my modest speed system take about 14
> hours to download. I do not want this at all!
>
> Karl
how fast is your connection? mine is 1.5mbit and i can download 4 gig in
6 hours.

--cj

"debiani386@gmail.com" 07-21-2008 11:02 PM

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 16:55 -0400, elmo wrote:
> Danyelle Gragsone wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 4:10 PM, elmo <elmo@ne.rr.com> wrote:
> >

> >> I have a 8,04 DVD version installed. I have done a lot of customizing
> >> it, (full desktop, some additional software, for example), so it's
> >> considerably larger than it was when I first installed it. In its
> >> present size, it would definitely require a DVD to hold a copy of it.
> >>
> >> Instead of spending a lot time in my making copies of it on my DVDs. I
> >> would like to be able to send the whole package via email to
> >> acquaintances in ISO form and let them make their own DVDs.
> >>

> > Most email clients do not allow for large data transfers.
> >

> >> There's a lot of info about burning ISO Image disks but a scarcity about
> >> the reverse process, ie., create an ISO from a working program.
> >>
> >> HELP!!!
> >>
> >> Elmo
> >>

> Looks like I'll have to make a DVD copy and pass pass it around.
>
> Thnaks, all
>
> Elmo

... or what you could do is upload it to an ftp server, password protect
it, then email the clients the password to download the file

--cj

David Vincent 07-22-2008 03:04 AM

Creating an ISO from INSTALLED UBUNTU.