-   -   8.04 plus 8GB RAM (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/128953-8-04-plus-8gb-ram.html)

eduardo fiss beloni 07-21-2008 07:16 PM

8.04 plus 8GB RAM

Hello, I've installed 8.04 desktop version in a intel xeon 2.5 GHz 8 cores server with 8GB of RAM but ubuntu does not recognize all memory, but only 2.5GB...

What should I do to solve this problem?

Thanks, Eduardo Beloni

Rashkae 07-21-2008 07:23 PM

8.04 plus 8GB RAM

eduardo fiss beloni wrote:
> Hello, I've installed 8.04 desktop version in a intel xeon 2.5 GHz 8 cores server with 8GB of RAM but ubuntu does not recognize all memory, but only 2.5GB...
>
> What should I do to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks, Eduardo Beloni

Are you installing the 64-bit version of Ubuntu?

If you really want to install the 32-bit, version, I think you will need
to install the server Kernel from the packages, as that one has the
Large Memory support enabled.

eduardo fiss beloni 07-21-2008 07:42 PM

8.04 plus 8GB RAM

Thanks, I'll try. But as I know this xeon processor is a 32-bit one.

"Brie Gordon" 07-21-2008 07:49 PM

8.04 plus 8GB RAM

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 3:42 PM, eduardo fiss beloni
<eduardobeloni@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> Thanks, I'll try. But as I know this xeon processor is a 32-bit one.

Rashkae is on to it.
I found:
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/1553/

In a nutshell, do you have PAE hardware?

Regards,

Brie A. Gordon

http://granite.sru.edu/~bag6849/index.html

Vincent Trouilliez 07-21-2008 07:51 PM

8.04 plus 8GB RAM

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:23:23 -0400
Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:

> If you really want to install the 32-bit, version, I think you will need
> to install the server Kernel from the packages, as that one has the
> Large Memory support enabled.

Hi Rashkae,

I happen to have 4GB on my desktop machine, just followed your advice
and oh magic, with the server kernel, 32 Bit Ubuntu does indeed use the
full 4.0 GB of RAM, great ! :-)
But sadly this means no Nvidia 3D support since this the
repository doesn't offer this restricted driver for the
server kernel... which makes sense I admit.

So is there a way to enable (involves recompiling I guess?) this
"Large Memory" option in the "desktop" /generic 32 bit kernel, so that
the Nvidia driver still work ?
Or is it easier to just use the server kernel and install the nvidia
driver by hand using the nvidia installer ?

Vince

"Victor Padro" 07-21-2008 07:55 PM

8.04 plus 8GB RAM

So do you mean 8 cores or 8 processors?
If I recall well, most of the Xeon Dual Core(Woodcrest and lately ones) and Quad Core Processors are 64bit enabled or at least EM64T
Nevertheless it will certainly detect all you RAM if you install the server kernel as Rashkae stated.

Cheers,

Thanks, I'll try. But as I know this xeon processor is a 32-bit one.

--- On Mon, 7/21/08, Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:

> From: Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com>

> Subject: Re: 8.04 plus 8GB RAM

> To: eduardobeloni@yahoo.com.br, "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>

> Date: Monday, July 21, 2008, 4:23 PM

> eduardo fiss beloni wrote:

> > Hello, I've installed 8.04 desktop version in a

> intel xeon 2.5 GHz 8 cores server with 8GB of RAM but

> ubuntu does not recognize all memory, but only 2.5GB...

> > What should I do to solve this problem?

> > Thanks, Eduardo Beloni

> Are you installing the 64-bit version of Ubuntu?

> If you really want to install the 32-bit, version, I think

> you will need

> to install the server Kernel from the packages, as that one

> has the

> Large Memory support enabled.

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Rashkae 07-21-2008 08:29 PM

8.04 plus 8GB RAM

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:23:23 -0400
> Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:
>
>> If you really want to install the 32-bit, version, I think you will need
>> to install the server Kernel from the packages, as that one has the
>> Large Memory support enabled.
>
> Hi Rashkae,
>
> I happen to have 4GB on my desktop machine, just followed your advice
> and oh magic, with the server kernel, 32 Bit Ubuntu does indeed use the
> full 4.0 GB of RAM, great ! :-)
> But sadly this means no Nvidia 3D support since this the
> repository doesn't offer this restricted driver for the
> server kernel... which makes sense I admit.
>
> So is there a way to enable (involves recompiling I guess?) this
> "Large Memory" option in the "desktop" /generic 32 bit kernel, so that
> the Nvidia driver still work ?
> Or is it easier to just use the server kernel and install the nvidia
> driver by hand using the nvidia installer ?
>
> Regards,
>

> --
> Vince

Well, I've never tried this with Ubuntu, but if this were me, I would
just install the Nvidia drivers.. I've done it dozens of times on
Slackware and Red Hat distros, and Nvidia installer always just worked
for me (so did my own compiled kernels, but those are much more work)

The floor is open for other commentators :)

Phil Sexton 07-21-2008 08:41 PM

8.04 plus 8GB RAM

Rashkae wrote:
> Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:23:23 -0400
>> Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If you really want to install the 32-bit, version, I think you will need
>>> to install the server Kernel from the packages, as that one has the
>>> Large Memory support enabled.
>> Hi Rashkae,
>>
>> I happen to have 4GB on my desktop machine, just followed your advice
>> and oh magic, with the server kernel, 32 Bit Ubuntu does indeed use the
>> full 4.0 GB of RAM, great ! :-)
>> But sadly this means no Nvidia 3D support since this the
>> repository doesn't offer this restricted driver for the
>> server kernel... which makes sense I admit.
>>
>> So is there a way to enable (involves recompiling I guess?) this
>> "Large Memory" option in the "desktop" /generic 32 bit kernel, so that
>> the Nvidia driver still work ?
>> Or is it easier to just use the server kernel and install the nvidia
>> driver by hand using the nvidia installer ?
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> --
>> Vince
>>

> Well, I've never tried this with Ubuntu, but if this were me, I would
> just install the Nvidia drivers.. I've done it dozens of times on
> Slackware and Red Hat distros, and Nvidia installer always just worked
> for me (so did my own compiled kernels, but those are much more work)
>
> The floor is open for other commentators :)

I found these instructions for Ubuntu somewhere:

Get the driver from nvidia.com site, then:

1. Purge the nvidia restricted package if installed by doing "sudo
dpkg --purge nvidia-glx-new"

2. Kill the gdm server, "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop"

3. Install the driver mentioned above.

4. start gdm server "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start"

When X starts you should now see the nvidia logo. If you don't,
edit your xorg.conf file and replace nv with nvidia and restart X.

Vincent Trouilliez 07-21-2008 09:12 PM

8.04 plus 8GB RAM

> > Well, I've never tried this with Ubuntu, but if this were me, I would
> > just install the Nvidia drivers..

Yeah, I have just come to the same conlusion after trying to follow
instructions in the Ubuntu wiki... 99% wouldn't work, and it was
complicated indeed.
So I tried installing the nvidia driver, but the installer complains
that the kernel (the server one then) is a "xen" kernel, and it refuses
to install on "xen" kernel, it says !

Great, so either way I have to recompile, be it to ADD large mem
support to the generic kernel, or to REMOVE xen stuff from the server
one. Ouch ! ;-/
Okay I give up, I didn't though it would prove that challenging, so I
will just be happy with my 3.2BG instead of 4.0 GB...
I still wonder why the large mem option was not enabled in the generic
kernel though, since RAM is mega cheap and many computers probably
have, or will soon come, with 4GB.

Vince, a tad disappointed...

eduardo fiss beloni 07-21-2008 09:24 PM

8.04 plus 8GB RAM