Old 07-21-2008, 10:23 PM
richard

Default 8.04 plus 8GB RAM

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:24:18 -0700 (PDT)
eduardo fiss beloni <eduardobeloni@yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> [...]
The 64 bit rt kernel recognises my 8 MB of RAM without a hitch
/proc# cat meminfo
MemTotal: 8148796 kB
MemFree: 1448324 kB

> Linux version 2.6.24-19-rt (buildd@king) (gcc version 4.2.3 (Ubuntu
> 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)) #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Fri Jul 11 23:20:22 UTC 2008
HTH
Richard

Old 07-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Rashkae

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
>>> Well, I've never tried this with Ubuntu, but if this were me, I would
>>> just install the Nvidia drivers..
>
> Yeah, I have just come to the same conlusion after trying to follow
> instructions in the Ubuntu wiki... 99% wouldn't work, and it was
> complicated indeed.
> So I tried installing the nvidia driver, but the installer complains
> that the kernel (the server one then) is a "xen" kernel, and it refuses
> to install on "xen" kernel, it says !
>
> Great, so either way I have to recompile, be it to ADD large mem
> support to the generic kernel, or to REMOVE xen stuff from the server
> one. Ouch ! ;-/
> Okay I give up, I didn't though it would prove that challenging, so I
> will just be happy with my 3.2BG instead of 4.0 GB...
> I still wonder why the large mem option was not enabled in the generic
> kernel though, since RAM is mega cheap and many computers probably
> have, or will soon come, with 4GB.

Because Enabling PAE (that's the large memory stuff, couldn't remember
the acronym before) causes the kernel to hoark a hairball if you try to
boot on hardware that doesn't support it. As well, a kernel that
supports more memory needs to consume more memory (something about some
kind of kernel memory map that's a fixed size or some such) and is
therefore less efficient on systems that don't need it.

And finally, all those consumers with more than 2GB of ram probably have
a 64-bit CPU, and should therefore be investing energy in making the
switch to a 64-bit OS, rather than trying to shoehorn large memory
support in 32-bits.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:55 AM
"Corneil du Plessis"

You just need to use Synaptic to install the 'server' kernel. It should
support up to 64GB of RAM.
You should not that there is a performance penalty I am not sure how much,
but it is probably in the 1-5% range depending on what you are doing.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:58 AM
"xerces8"

Or you could use the 64 bit version of Ubuntu.

Regards,
David

Old 07-22-2008, 12:17 PM
"Corneil du Plessis"

If you have a 32bit laptop that can take 4GB of RAM but it has a 32bit CPU
you have a way to run demonstrations in virtual machines that would
otherwise not be possible.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:13:54 -0400
Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:

> Because Enabling PAE (that's the large memory stuff, couldn't remember
> the acronym before) causes the kernel to hoark a hairball if you try to
> boot on hardware that doesn't support it.

Ah yes, that would be a good reason indeed ;-)

> And finally, all those consumers with more than 2GB of ram probably have
> a 64-bit CPU, and should therefore be investing energy in making the
> switch to a 64-bit OS, rather than trying to shoehorn large memory
> support in 32-bits.

Yeah I sure thought about that, but from what I can see/read/sense, 64
bit on the desktop is far from "just work", mostly because of the
numerous proprietary things one might need here and there, now and in
the future, and by the looks of it it will take many years for the
proprietary scene to switch to 64 bit, judging by how little progress
has been made so far. When you add the existing zillions of
bugs/problems on the 32 bit arch that drive me nuts since I switched
to Linux 6 years ago, well all in all I felt that switching to 64 bit
would just add more trouble than joys. I am sure it works just fine for
servers or locked down workstations, but for joe's home desktop machine
(mine to start with, then), where things are lot less "stable"/locked,
I think I will wait 20 years or so ;-/ Hence why I was willing to make
a little effort to get 4.0 GB out of the 32 bit kernel.

This is not meant to start a 32/64 bit war, but to conclude
the thread instead ;-)

Vince, will do with 3.2 GB for now...