Old 07-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Allen Meyers

Default Superuser confusion or maybe critically confused

I am attempting to learn to use command line.
this check that universe mirror is listed in your /etc/apt/sources.list.
was my first challenge???
but I tried a command line anyway for VLC media player and I guess before accepting it my password was needed as it asked for it.
However it would take no typing at all so did a little research and thought maybe I needed to log in as super user.
Ok so I am confused. Would someone take my hand and lead me through this command line for the VLC or just the 101 of command line
As always thanks

Allen Meyers chef11994@sbcglobal.networtham_tx@yahoo.com
allenmeyers76693@gmail.com

*
*--

Old 07-21-2008, 07:12 PM
"Matthew Clarke"

When typing in passwords in the command line, the cursor does not move because it is hiding your password from anyone peering over your shoulder. This is similar to GUI interface that puts ***** when typing passwords.

Just type your password and press enter and you shoudl be good to go!
Cheers,
MC

Old 07-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Rashkae

Allen Meyers wrote:
> I am attempting to learn to use command line.
> this check that universe mirror is listed in your /etc/apt/sources.list.
> was my first challenge???
> but I tried a command line anyway for VLC media player and I guess before accepting it my password was needed as it asked for it.
> However it would take no typing at all so did a little research and thought maybe I needed to log in as super user.
> Ok so I am confused. Would someone take my hand and lead me through this command line for the VLC or just the 101 of command line
> As always thanks

What command was that you tried exactly? Was it a command to install VLC?

like, apt-get install vlc ?

Presumably, since you got the password prompt, then you already tried it
with sudo (sudo is what tells the system to execute the command with
Super user permission, and requires password)

ex: sudo apt-get install vlc

Then it should prompt you for password. go ahead and type your
password, press Enter. Nothing will show on the screen, but that
doesn't mean it's not working. It only means that on-lookers and other
snoops can't see a password being typed in, nor can they count the *'s
to know the length of the password.

If you have the password right, apt-get will go ahead and try to install
whatever you were installing.

If the password is wrong, you'll get a "sorry, Try again" and need to
put your password in again.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Karl Larsen

Allen Meyers wrote:
> I am attempting to learn to use command line.

The command line from Gnome? If that you need to get a terminal running.

> this check that universe mirror is listed in your /etc/apt/sources.list.
> was my first challenge???

In the terminal type $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list and it will list
the file. There are a lot of universe listed.

> but I tried a command line anyway for VLC media player and I guess before accepting it my password was needed as it asked for it.

You never start VLC from the command line. You need the Desktop to
run it.
> However it would take no typing at all so did a little research and thought maybe I needed to log in as super user.
> Ok so I am confused. Would someone take my hand and lead me through this command line for the VLC or just the 101 of command line
> As always thanks

If you need to be a super user start the call in your termial with
sudo. For example $ sudo more /boot/grub/menu.lst

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Peter Garrett

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:08:04 -0600
Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

[snips]
> You never start VLC from the command line. You need the Desktop to
> run it.

It's a miracle, evidently...
http://thoreauputic.boinc.ch/vlc-miracle.png

--
Peter Garrett <peter.garrett@optusnet.com.au>

Old 07-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Old 07-21-2008, 10:55 PM
"debiani386@gmail.com"

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 15:12 -0400, Matthew Clarke wrote:
> When typing in passwords in the command line, the cursor does not move
> because it is hiding your password from anyone peering over your
> shoulder. This is similar to GUI interface that puts ***** when typing
> passwords.
>
> Just type your password and press enter and you shoudl be good to go!
>
> Cheers,
> MC
>
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Allen Meyers
> <chef11994@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I am attempting to learn to use command line.
> this check that universe mirror is listed in
> your /etc/apt/sources.list.
> was my first challenge???
> but I tried a command line anyway for VLC media player and I
> guess before accepting it my password was needed as it asked
> for it.
> However it would take no typing at all so did a little
> research and thought maybe I needed to log in as super user.
> Ok so I am confused. Would someone take my hand and lead me
> through this command line for the VLC or just the 101 of
> command line
> As always thanks

well what ever you do, dont log into your computer as root, it poses a
security problem...

remember, if you have to do something as root, just use sudo

--cj

Old 07-21-2008, 11:44 PM
"Verde Denim"

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 07:01:29 +1000

Peter Garrett <peter.garrett@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:08:04 -0600

> Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> [snips]

> > * * You never start VLC from the command line. You need the Desktop to

> > run it.

> It's a miracle, evidently...

> http://thoreauputic.boinc.ch/vlc-miracle.png

> --

> Peter Garrett <peter.garrett@optusnet.com.au>

Says it all!

hrmm - a command line entry that starts a gnome app - what will they think of next?
*

Old 07-22-2008, 04:45 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 19:44 -0400, Verde Denim wrote:

> hrmm - a command line entry that starts a gnome app - what will they
> think of next?

Cats and dogs living together! The end is nigh!