Old 12-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Kenneth Loafman

Default Restart Wireless Without Rebooting

Periodically my wireless connection dies and nothing seems to restart it
except the brain-dead Windows way of rebooting the whole system. In a
UNIX system, you should be able to restart anything except the kernel
without a reboot. I can't seem to figure out how.

Running 64-bit Ubuntu Feisty on a Dell 1501, ndiswrapper around bcmwl5
driver, Network Manager, the rest pretty normal. All up to date.

I have tried restarting the connection through Network Manager. No go.

I have tried /etc/init.d/networking restart. No go, of course.

I have used ndiswrapper to remove and reinstall the driver. No go.

I have no hair to pull, or dead chicken to wave over my head while
standing on one leg, so what magic incantation do I need to use?

...Thanks,
...Ken

Old 12-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Preston Boyington

Kenneth Loafman wrote:
> Periodically my wireless connection dies and nothing seems to restart it
> except the brain-dead Windows way of rebooting the whole system. In a
> UNIX system, you should be able to restart anything except the kernel
> without a reboot. I can't seem to figure out how.

try going to a terminal and typing:

sudo ifdown wifi0

to take down the wifi interface and then:

sudo ifup wifi0

to bring it back up again. just be sure to insert your correct network
device after the "ifup" or "ifdown" (eth0, wifi0, ath0)

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Old 12-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Chris

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 09:05:25 -0600
Preston Boyington <preston.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Kenneth Loafman wrote:
> > Periodically my wireless connection dies and nothing seems to
> > restart it except the brain-dead Windows way of rebooting the whole
> > system. In a UNIX system, you should be able to restart anything
> > except the kernel without a reboot. I can't seem to figure out how.
> >

> try going to a terminal and typing:
>
> sudo ifdown wifi0
>
> to take down the wifi interface and then:
>
> sudo ifup wifi0
>
> to bring it back up again. just be sure to insert your correct
> network device after the "ifup" or "ifdown" (eth0, wifi0, ath0)

While the above works, I myself have used a more encompassing way.

/etc/init.d/networking stop
/etc/init.d/networking start

--
Best regards,
Chris

Cleanse area thoroughly before applying.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 09:05 -0600, Preston Boyington wrote:
> sudo ifdown wifi0

This only works if the interface is managed by /etc/network/interfaces.
The OP however stated that his interface is managed by NetworkManager

Old 12-05-2007, 02:18 PM
AlgoMantra

thanks guys, I was facing a similar problem. cool!

Old 12-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Kenneth Loafman

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 09:05 -0600, Preston Boyington wrote:
>> sudo ifdown wifi0
>
> This only works if the interface is managed by /etc/network/interfaces.
> The OP however stated that his interface is managed by NetworkManager

I just found that you can restart NetworkManager with:

sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager restart

I will have to wait for it to wedge again to see if it restarts deep
enough to get the job done.

...Ken

Old 12-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Tony Arnold

Ken,

Kenneth Loafman wrote:
> Mario Vukelic wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 09:05 -0600, Preston Boyington wrote:
>>> sudo ifdown wifi0
>> This only works if the interface is managed by /etc/network/interfaces.
>> The OP however stated that his interface is managed by NetworkManager
>
> I just found that you can restart NetworkManager with:
>
> sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager restart
>
> I will have to wait for it to wedge again to see if it restarts deep
> enough to get the job done.

I've had the same problem. It usually occurs after waking up from
hibernation, but not every time!

I'll try the above when it happens next. It looks promising.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold, Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security, Fax: +44 (0) 870 136 1004