-   -   Accessing Windows XP programs in Ubuntu (was The pest again) (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/128442-accessing-windows-xp-programs-ubuntu-pest-again.html)

Jeffrey Needle 07-21-2008 12:49 AM

Accessing Windows XP programs in Ubuntu (was The pest again)

> > Sigh. I wish it were just a game. I have a CD full of printed
> > works that I like to refer to on an ongoing basis. Should I use
> > Wine to re-install the app?
>
> That can be done, but may not be necessary. The drive that contains
> your WinXP will need to be mounted in /etc/fstab to make it visible to
> Ubuntu. I have an NTFS partition on one of the drives on my Ubuntu
> box. With both read and write enabled you could then also update them
> from the Ubuntu side. What format(s) are they in?

It's a proprietary format -- the app is called GospeLink. It's a
Mormon-based information center with access to hundreds of printed
works, and just invaluable.

> > I'm old enough to know that, if you're dumb about things, as I am,
> > you may as well ask...<grin>
>
> LOL! You're in the right place. And the only dumb thing would be to
> suffer in silence, or to give up and go back to Windows not knowing
> any better.
> --

Ha! Sure enough.

Incidentally, I typed /etc/fstab and got a message "Permission denied."
Do I need to place something else after the command to make it work?
Very exciting to think I might be able to access GospeLink again!

"Stuart A. Yeates" 07-21-2008 01:02 AM

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Jeffrey Needle <jeff.needle@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Sigh. I wish it were just a game. I have a CD full of printed
>> > works that I like to refer to on an ongoing basis. Should I use
>> > Wine to re-install the app?
>>
>> That can be done, but may not be necessary. The drive that contains
>> your WinXP will need to be mounted in /etc/fstab to make it visible to
>> Ubuntu. I have an NTFS partition on one of the drives on my Ubuntu
>> box. With both read and write enabled you could then also update them
>> from the Ubuntu side. What format(s) are they in?
>>

> It's a proprietary format -- the app is called GospeLink. It's a
> Mormon-based information center with access to hundreds of printed
> works, and just invaluable.

Then bug them about releasing it in an open format. Didn't we already
fight a war about locking up religious texts in a format that hardly
anyone understood?

>> > I'm old enough to know that, if you're dumb about things, as I am,
>> > you may as well ask...<grin>
>>
>> LOL! You're in the right place. And the only dumb thing would be to
>> suffer in silence, or to give up and go back to Windows not knowing
>> any better.
>> --
>
> Ha! Sure enough.
>
> Incidentally, I typed /etc/fstab and got a message "Permission denied."
> Do I need to place something else after the command to make it work?
> Very exciting to think I might be able to access GospeLink again!

/etc/fstab is an information file, not an executable. try "cat /etc/fstab"

"mount" is the command to mount a new filesystem.

cheers
stuart

NoOp 07-21-2008 01:22 AM

On 07/20/2008 05:49 PM, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
>> > Sigh. I wish it were just a game. I have a CD full of printed
>> > works that I like to refer to on an ongoing basis. Should I use
>> > Wine to re-install the app?
>>
>> That can be done, but may not be necessary. The drive that contains
>> your WinXP will need to be mounted in /etc/fstab to make it visible to
>> Ubuntu. I have an NTFS partition on one of the drives on my Ubuntu
>> box. With both read and write enabled you could then also update them
>> from the Ubuntu side. What format(s) are they in?
>>

> It's a proprietary format -- the app is called GospeLink. It's a
> Mormon-based information center with access to hundreds of printed
> works, and just invaluable.

I'm curious; the http://gospelink.com/ appears to be a web application
so it should work with one of the top three/four browsers. If you are
working on FamilySearch Indexing
(http://www.familysearchindexing.org/en/home/home.jsf?pname=homeTab)
Then you can use Windows, Mac, or Linux:
http://www.familysearchindexing.org/en/gettingstarted/computer_req.jsf

So perhaps if you can explain just exactly what it is you are having
problems with, someone may be able to assist. Also, I'm sure that if you
check the forums for that site you might find that someone has already
provided a solution. You might also want to check out some of the links on:
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=linix+%2BGospeLink>
<http://www.google.com/search?q=GospeLink+%2Blinux>

BTW: If you are into genealogy GRAMPS is in the repositories and does a
fine job: http://gramps-project.org/

Jeffrey Needle 07-21-2008 02:08 AM

Accessing Windows XP programs in Ubuntu (was The pest again)

> > It's a proprietary format -- the app is called GospeLink. It's a
> > Mormon-based information center with access to hundreds of printed
> > works, and just invaluable.
>
> Then bug them about releasing it in an open format. Didn't we already
> fight a war about locking up religious texts in a format that hardly
> anyone understood?

We've been after them for a long time. They don't even have a good
Mac-based system. Linux, to them, is in another universe.

> >> LOL! You're in the right place. And the only dumb thing would be to
> >> suffer in silence, or to give up and go back to Windows not knowing
> >> any better.
> >> --
> >
> > Ha! Sure enough.
> >
> > Incidentally, I typed /etc/fstab and got a message "Permission denied."
> > Do I need to place something else after the command to make it work?
> > Very exciting to think I might be able to access GospeLink again!
>
> /etc/fstab is an information file, not an executable. try "cat /etc/fstab"
>
> "mount" is the command to mount a new filesystem.

Got it. Now, how do I mount the c: drive on my Windows system? The
executable that accesses the CD-ROM is on the c: drive.

Jeffrey Needle 07-21-2008 02:21 AM

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 18:22 -0700, NoOp wrote:

> >> That can be done, but may not be necessary. The drive that contains
> >> your WinXP will need to be mounted in /etc/fstab to make it visible to
> >> Ubuntu. I have an NTFS partition on one of the drives on my Ubuntu
> >> box. With both read and write enabled you could then also update them
> >> from the Ubuntu side. What format(s) are they in?
> >>

> > It's a proprietary format -- the app is called GospeLink. It's a
> > Mormon-based information center with access to hundreds of printed
> > works, and just invaluable.
> >

> I'm curious; the http://gospelink.com/ appears to be a web application
> so it should work with one of the top three/four browsers.

I'm sick of giving them money. I've spent lots of money over the years
and don't want to give them another 50 bucks a year. Sheesh.

> If you are
> working on FamilySearch Indexing
> (http://www.familysearchindexing.org/en/home/home.jsf?pname=homeTab)
> Then you can use Windows, Mac, or Linux:
> http://www.familysearchindexing.org/en/gettingstarted/computer_req.jsf
>
> So perhaps if you can explain just exactly what it is you are having
> problems with, someone may be able to assist. Also, I'm sure that if you
> check the forums for that site you might find that someone has already
> provided a solution. You might also want to check out some of the links on:
> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=linix+%2BGospeLink>
> <http://www.google.com/search?q=GospeLink+%2Blinux>
>
> BTW: If you are into genealogy GRAMPS is in the repositories and does a
> fine job: http://gramps-project.org/

Thanks for it all. Not much in either search link above, and no,
genealogy isn't my interest right now.

Thanks

NoOp 07-21-2008 03:52 AM

On 07/20/2008 07:21 PM, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 18:22 -0700, NoOp wrote:

>> I'm curious; the http://gospelink.com/ appears to be a web application
>> so it should work with one of the top three/four browsers.
>
> I'm sick of giving them money. I've spent lots of money over the years
> and don't want to give them another 50 bucks a year. Sheesh.

Well nothing in your reply provided any useful information regarding
what you need to do with your application. So I reckon that you are on
your own with that. Good luck.

Jeffrey Needle 07-21-2008 04:28 PM

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 20:52 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/20/2008 07:21 PM, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 18:22 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>

> >> I'm curious; the http://gospelink.com/ appears to be a web application
> >> so it should work with one of the top three/four browsers.
> >
> > I'm sick of giving them money. I've spent lots of money over the years
> > and don't want to give them another 50 bucks a year. Sheesh.
> >

> Well nothing in your reply provided any useful information regarding
> what you need to do with your application. So I reckon that you are on
> your own with that. Good luck.

Sorry. I write a lot of book reviews and research papers, and I often
have to cite early Mormon documents, all located on this CD.

NoOp 07-21-2008 08:52 PM

On 07/21/2008 09:28 AM, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 20:52 -0700, NoOp wrote:

>> > I'm sick of giving them money. I've spent lots of money over the years
>> > and don't want to give them another 50 bucks a year. Sheesh.
>> >

>> Well nothing in your reply provided any useful information regarding
>> what you need to do with your application. So I reckon that you are on
>> your own with that. Good luck.
>>

> Sorry. I write a lot of book reviews and research papers, and I often
> have to cite early Mormon documents, all located on this CD.

OK, I'll bite: what specifically is the format of the documents on the
CD? BTW: if it is Gospelink 2001 that you are refering to & want to run
it with Wine, have a look at this:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=11964

So, I'd recommend reading up on VirtualBox, install VB, install Win2K or
WinXP in VB and run your program using that.

Jeffrey Needle 07-21-2008 10:19 PM

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 13:52 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/21/2008 09:28 AM, Jeffrey Needle wrote:

> >> Well nothing in your reply provided any useful information regarding
> >> what you need to do with your application. So I reckon that you are on
> >> your own with that. Good luck.
> >>

> > Sorry. I write a lot of book reviews and research papers, and I often
> > have to cite early Mormon documents, all located on this CD.
> >

> OK, I'll bite: what specifically is the format of the documents on the
> CD? BTW: if it is Gospelink 2001 that you are refering to & want to run
> it with Wine, have a look at this:
>
> http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=11964
>
> So, I'd recommend reading up on VirtualBox, install VB, install Win2K or
> WinXP in VB and run your program using that.

Gosh, it's rated as "garbage" on that website. You know, I've done some
more research, and there seems to be some agreement on this. It seems
that the files are indeed in Infobase format. Does this make the files
more accessible?

As a matter of further research, I've found much of what's of use on the
CD is also available from various sources on-line. It may be that, in
the end, I'll have to scrap GospeLink altogether and go with on-line
sources.

NoOp 07-22-2008 02:44 AM

On 07/21/2008 03:19 PM, Jeffrey Needle wrote:

> Gosh, it's rated as "garbage" on that website. You know, I've done some
> more research, and there seems to be some agreement on this. It seems
> that the files are indeed in Infobase format. Does this make the files
> more accessible?

No. It makes them _less_ accessible. Infobase is an incredibly
proprietary format that has been in use for many years. I'd recommend
using VirtualBox to install a small WinXP on your system. That way you
can still use your existing CD. Check the archives on this list, or ask
for help in installing VB and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how
well it works.

> As a matter of further research, I've found much of what's of use on the
> CD is also available from various sources on-line. It may be that, in
> the end, I'll have to scrap GospeLink altogether and go with on-line
> sources.

Yes, from a little Google'ing I found the bulk of what that CD provides
on the BYU servers. Disclaimer: I'm agnostic so any info/help provided
isn't due to any religious affiliation or familiarity with the program.