Old 07-22-2008, 02:49 AM
Jeffrey Needle

Default Accessing Windows XP programs in Ubuntu (was The pest again)

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 19:44 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/21/2008 03:19 PM, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
>

> > Gosh, it's rated as "garbage" on that website. You know, I've done some
> > more research, and there seems to be some agreement on this. It seems
> > that the files are indeed in Infobase format. Does this make the files
> > more accessible?
>
> No. It makes them _less_ accessible. Infobase is an incredibly
> proprietary format that has been in use for many years. I'd recommend
> using VirtualBox to install a small WinXP on your system. That way you
> can still use your existing CD. Check the archives on this list, or ask
> for help in installing VB and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how
> well it works.

I'll be sure to give it a try.

> > As a matter of further research, I've found much of what's of use on the
> > CD is also available from various sources on-line. It may be that, in
> > the end, I'll have to scrap GospeLink altogether and go with on-line
> > sources.
>
> Yes, from a little Google'ing I found the bulk of what that CD provides
> on the BYU servers. Disclaimer: I'm agnostic so any info/help provided
> isn't due to any religious affiliation or familiarity with the program.

And I'm not Mormon -- I am an "independent Mormon historian" -- a group
of folks who, although not LDS, have taken a professional and personal
interest in the religion and have spent much time studying, writing and
speaking. In fact, I'm off to Salt Lake City in a few weeks to give a
talk.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:57 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 19:44 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> Check the archives on this list, or ask
> for help in installing VB and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised
> how well it works.

All here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox
And yeah, it does work amazingly well