Old 07-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Jason Crain

Default transcode FLV (YouTube flash) to MP4 (ISO MPEG v4)

Sven wrote:
> Hi all
>
> How to I convert a FLV video to MP4 (for iPod and PSP). I downloaded
> flv2mpeg4 from getdeb.net, but I doesn't support audio.
>
> regards
> Svev

The iPod has some very specific MP4 requirements. I usually use
mencoder and do it like this:
# encode video
mencoder in.avi -ovc x264 -x264encopts
crf=25:vbv_maxrate=768:vbv_bufsize=244:nocabac:lev el_idc=13:subq=6artitions=all:me=umh:frameref=5: subq=6:trellis=2:direct_pred=auto
-vf scale=320:-2,expand=320:240,crop=320:240,harddup -oac pcm -srate
8000 -af channels=1 -o out.avi -ofps 24000/1001
# encode audio
faac --tns --mpeg-vers 4 -o out.m4a
# extract raw video with MP4Box
MP4Box -aviraw video out.avi
# combine audio and video with MP4Box
MP4Box -new -fps 23.976 -add out_video.h264 -add out.m4a out.mp4

But I like doing things the hard way, so there may already be scripts
that do all this automatically.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:25 PM
NoOp

On 07/20/2008 12:04 PM, Sven wrote:
> Hi all
>
> How to I convert a FLV video to MP4 (for iPod and PSP). I downloaded
> flv2mpeg4 from getdeb.net, but I doesn't support audio.
>
> regards
> Sven

Very easy & nice GUI for ffmpeg is WinFF:
http://winff.org/
It's not in the repositories, but should be shortly:

In the interim, just download the deb and install.
<http://winff.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout= blog&id=34&Itemid=60>
I can't recall if it also pulls in ffmpeg, but if not you can install
that via:

sudo apt-get install ffmpeg

Old 07-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Sven

On 07/20/2008 11:25 PM, NoOp wrote:
> Very easy & nice GUI for ffmpeg is WinFF:
> http://winff.org/

Thank you. Works for me.

> It's not in the repositories, but should be shortly:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/172804
>
> In the interim, just download the deb and install.
> <http://winff.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout= blog&id=34&Itemid=60>
> I can't recall if it also pulls in ffmpeg, but if not you can install
> that via:
>
> sudo apt-get install ffmpeg

regards
Sven

Old 07-20-2008, 11:38 PM
"David Fox"

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Sven <aluoor@gmail.com> wrote:
> I seems to me Tovid is only for disc authoring (disc readable by most
> DVD players). Not a general purpose transcoder.

Yeah. I thought it might help with more general conversion but it
doesn't appear to be the right tool for the job. Not that it's a bad
tool, I use it all the time to make dvd's - even ones with fancy
animated submenus and such .

In fact, I'll probably get the same results as you shortly, which is
an mpeg2 file with a file name ending in .mp4. Tovid didn't even look
to see what the desired output file type was, but it could have, I
suppose - but then it's tailored to spit out stuff a DVD player will
accept. You could probably feed tovid some options to send to ffmpeg,
but then you're better off using ffmpeg in the first place, which is
designed to be a general purpose encoder.

> How to do it with ffmpeg?

This part is easy. ffmpeg -i file.flv file.mp4. It is fairly
straightforward but there's a slew of options to do other things.

I haven't tried using transcode directly in quite a while.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:47 PM
chris

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Sven <aluoor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> How to I convert a FLV video to MP4 (for iPod and PSP). I downloaded
> flv2mpeg4 from getdeb.net, but I doesn't support audio.

There is a Greasemonkey script to just download the video as MP4.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/30309

Works great. Put's a little download link on the right side where the
video info is at.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:50 PM
chris

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:47 AM, chris <lostpkts@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Sven <aluoor@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> How to I convert a FLV video to MP4 (for iPod and PSP). I downloaded
>> flv2mpeg4 from getdeb.net, but I doesn't support audio.
>>

> There is a Greasemonkey script to just download the video as MP4.
>
> http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/30309
>

> Works great. Put's a little download link on the right side where the
> video info is at.

Hrmm.. there are quite a few now.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/25105

Just search on userscripts.org for "Youtube MP4"

Old 07-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Sven

On 07/21/2008 05:50 PM, chris wrote:
> Hrmm.. there are quite a few now.
> http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/25105

Thank you.

Are YouTube videos also stored in MP4 format? Which other formats are
possible?

Old 07-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Rakotomandimby Mihamina

David Fox wrote:
>> How to I convert a FLV video to MP4 (for iPod and PSP). I downloaded
>> flv2mpeg4 from getdeb.net, but I doesn't support audio.
> Try transcode or tovid. Tovid is a fairly extensive suite of programs
> that depend on having things like mencoder, transcode, dvdauthor,
> mpeg2enc, and ffmpeg to do the magic, mostly with shell scripts and a
> bit of Python.

another wrapper again reloaded ;-)
Linux based systems really enjoy making wrappers.

--
Huile Essentielle de Camphre http://www.huile-camphre.fr
Infogerance http://www.infogerance.us

Old 07-23-2008, 04:14 PM
chris

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 12:39 PM, Sven <aluoor@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/21/2008 05:50 PM, chris wrote:
>> Hrmm.. there are quite a few now.
>> http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/25105
>
> Thank you.
>
> Are YouTube videos also stored in MP4 format? Which other formats are
> possible?
>
>> Just search on userscripts.org for "Youtube MP4"

I'm not sure. I did see a script in there that would do MP4, FLV, and
MP3. I've not tried it out though.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:16 PM
"Tom Hines"

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Sven <aluoor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> How to I convert a FLV video to MP4 (for iPod and PSP). I downloaded
> flv2mpeg4 from getdeb.net, but I doesn't support audio.

The easiest way is with VLC. It has a GUI and doesn't have any
dependencies. Use the wizard.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/