-   -   The pest again (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/128333-pest-again.html)

Mario Vukelic 07-20-2008 07:33 PM

The pest again

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 11:58 -0700, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> Is this now a dual-boot Ubuntu/WinXP system? I get the distinct
> impression that you are expecting WINE to magically give you access to
> the "Windows side" of a dual-boot system. Which is not what it does
> at all.

That said, if the OP wants to have access to his existing Windows
install and run that in a window under Ubuntu, this can be done with
virtualization. At least vmware supports it (with may a bit of Windows
profile fiddling), I don't know about other virtualization solutions
like Virtualbox or others.

Also: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/wine

Steven Davies-Morris 07-20-2008 08:15 PM

The pest again

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 11:58 -0700, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
>> Is this now a dual-boot Ubuntu/WinXP system? I get the distinct
>> impression that you are expecting WINE to magically give you
>> access to the "Windows side" of a dual-boot system. Which is not
>> what it does at all.
>
> That said, if the OP wants to have access to his existing Windows
> install and run that in a window under Ubuntu, this can be done
> with virtualization. At least vmware supports it (with may a bit of
> Windows profile fiddling), I don't know about other virtualization
> solutions like Virtualbox or others.
>
>> <http://www.winehq.org/>
>
> Also: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/wine

Yup. I use Virtualbox myself for the few things I have to have that
won't run via WINE.
NP: nothing

Ed Greshko 07-20-2008 09:41 PM

The pest again

Jeffrey Needle wrote:
> I just downloaded Wine and it installed just fine. It appears in my
> Applications drop-down menu.
>
> When I start Wine, I choose "Browse C: drive" and it gives me only two
> folders -- Program Files and Windows. Under Program Files I should have
> hundreds of folders, Common Files and Internet Explorer. There's no
> starting point for running a WinXP program.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? I'm using Wubi's install of Ubuntu with the
> gnome desktop. Thanks again.

You could do yourself a favor, and others, by putting in a reasonable
Subject. A Subject of "The pest again" may not attract many readers.
Second, when people search the archives for something close to their own
problem they may miss what they were looking for due to a poorly worded Subject.

Make your Subjects meaningful please.

--
They're only trying to make me LOOK paranoid!

Jeffrey Needle 07-20-2008 10:40 PM

The pest again

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 20:10 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 11:01 -0700, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
> > When I start Wine, I choose "Browse C: drive" and it gives me only
> > two folders -- Program Files and Windows. Under Program Files I
> > should have hundreds of folders, Common Files and Internet Explorer.
> > There's no starting point for running a WinXP program.
>
> Excuse the question, but did you actually install any Windows programs,
> using Wine? Your post doesn't make that clear to me.

Ack! No! I thought Wine would find already installed programs and let
me be able to use them. Am I dumb or what???

Jeffrey Needle 07-20-2008 10:40 PM

The pest again

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 11:58 -0700, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> Jeffrey Needle wrote:
> > I just downloaded Wine and it installed just fine. It appears in my
> > Applications drop-down menu.
> >
> > When I start Wine, I choose "Browse C: drive" and it gives me only two
> > folders -- Program Files and Windows. Under Program Files I should have
> > hundreds of folders, Common Files and Internet Explorer. There's no
> > starting point for running a WinXP program.
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong? I'm using Wubi's install of Ubuntu with the
> > gnome desktop. Thanks again.
>
> Is this now a dual-boot Ubuntu/WinXP system? I get the distinct
> impression that you are expecting WINE to magically give you access to
> the "Windows side" of a dual-boot system. Which is not what it does
> at all. What it will do is let you run some Windows applications
> under control of its Win32 API compatibility layer (emulation). But
> you've got to install the apps. Go here for more about WINE:
>
> <http://www.winehq.org/>
> --

Yup. My bad. I really misunderstood the whole concept. Sorry!

Jeffrey Needle 07-20-2008 10:42 PM

The pest again

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 12:01 -0700, Pastor JW wrote:
> On Sunday 20 July 2008 11:01:44 am Jeffrey Needle wrote:
> > I just downloaded Wine and it installed just fine. It appears in my
> > Applications drop-down menu.
> >
> > When I start Wine, I choose "Browse C: drive" and it gives me only two
> > folders -- Program Files and Windows. Under Program Files I should have
> > hundreds of folders, Common Files and Internet Explorer. There's no
> > starting point for running a WinXP program.
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong? I'm using Wubi's install of Ubuntu with the
> > gnome desktop. Thanks again.
>
> Lets see, you are in windoze running Ubuntu (Wubi runs Ubuntu in a windows
> file), which you inturn are setting up to run windoze? The long way around
> the house! Actually WINE works best for running just a windoze app, you
> know, that game you can't live without which won't run on anything but
> windoze? You are not running a whole windoze installation with WINE; just
> enough to run the app is all.

Sigh. I wish it were just a game. I have a CD full of printed works
that I like to refer to on an ongoing basis. Should I use Wine to
re-install the app?

I'm old enough to know that, if you're dumb about things, as I am, you
may as well ask...<grin>

Jeffrey Needle 07-20-2008 10:46 PM

The pest again

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 21:33 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 11:58 -0700, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> > Is this now a dual-boot Ubuntu/WinXP system? I get the distinct
> > impression that you are expecting WINE to magically give you access to
> > the "Windows side" of a dual-boot system. Which is not what it does
> > at all.
>
> That said, if the OP wants to have access to his existing Windows
> install and run that in a window under Ubuntu, this can be done with
> virtualization. At least vmware supports it (with may a bit of Windows
> profile fiddling), I don't know about other virtualization solutions
> like Virtualbox or others.
>
> > <http://www.winehq.org/>
>
> Also: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/wine

The first link is very helpful -- thanks. The second page doesn't seem
to exist.

Thanks!

Jeffrey Needle 07-20-2008 10:52 PM

The pest again

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 05:41 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Jeffrey Needle wrote:
> > I just downloaded Wine and it installed just fine. It appears in my
> > Applications drop-down menu.
> >
> > When I start Wine, I choose "Browse C: drive" and it gives me only two
> > folders -- Program Files and Windows. Under Program Files I should have
> > hundreds of folders, Common Files and Internet Explorer. There's no
> > starting point for running a WinXP program.
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong? I'm using Wubi's install of Ubuntu with the
> > gnome desktop. Thanks again.
>
> You could do yourself a favor, and others, by putting in a reasonable
> Subject. A Subject of "The pest again" may not attract many readers.
> Second, when people search the archives for something close to their own
> problem they may miss what they were looking for due to a poorly worded Subject.
>
> Make your Subjects meaningful please.
>
> --

I agree. Sometimes my frustration, and my embarassment about being so
new, get in the way of common sense. Thanks.

Steven Davies-Morris 07-21-2008 12:10 AM

The pest again

Jeffrey Needle wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 12:01 -0700, Pastor JW wrote:
>> On Sunday 20 July 2008 11:01:44 am Jeffrey Needle wrote:
>>> I just downloaded Wine and it installed just fine. It appears
>>> in my Applications drop-down menu.
>>>
>>> When I start Wine, I choose "Browse C: drive" and it gives me
>>> only two folders -- Program Files and Windows. Under Program
>>> Files I should have hundreds of folders, Common Files and
>>> Internet Explorer. There's no starting point for running a
>>> WinXP program.
>>>
>>> Am I doing something wrong? I'm using Wubi's install of Ubuntu
>>> with the gnome desktop. Thanks again.
>> Lets see, you are in windoze running Ubuntu (Wubi runs Ubuntu in
>> a windows file), which you inturn are setting up to run windoze?
>> The long way around the house! Actually WINE works best for
>> running just a windoze app, you know, that game you can't live
>> without which won't run on anything but windoze? You are not
>> running a whole windoze installation with WINE; just enough to
>> run the app is all.
>>

> Sigh. I wish it were just a game. I have a CD full of printed
> works that I like to refer to on an ongoing basis. Should I use
> Wine to re-install the app?

That can be done, but may not be necessary. The drive that contains
your WinXP will need to be mounted in /etc/fstab to make it visible to
Ubuntu. I have an NTFS partition on one of the drives on my Ubuntu
box. With both read and write enabled you could then also update them
from the Ubuntu side. What format(s) are they in?

> I'm old enough to know that, if you're dumb about things, as I am,
> you may as well ask...<grin>

LOL! You're in the right place. And the only dumb thing would be to
suffer in silence, or to give up and go back to Windows not knowing
any better.
NP: nothing

NoOp 07-21-2008 01:04 AM

The pest again

On 07/20/2008 03:46 PM, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 21:33 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
>> On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 11:58 -0700, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
>> > Is this now a dual-boot Ubuntu/WinXP system? I get the distinct
>> > impression that you are expecting WINE to magically give you access to
>> > the "Windows side" of a dual-boot system. Which is not what it does
>> > at all.
>>
>> That said, if the OP wants to have access to his existing Windows
>> install and run that in a window under Ubuntu, this can be done with
>> virtualization. At least vmware supports it (with may a bit of Windows
>> profile fiddling), I don't know about other virtualization solutions
>> like Virtualbox or others.
>>
>> > <http://www.winehq.org/>
>>
>> Also: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/wine
>>

> The first link is very helpful -- thanks. The second page doesn't seem
> to exist.
>
> Thanks!

Try:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine