Old 07-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Derek Broughton

Default The pest again

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 23:01 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> No can do - if they're OEM installs they aren't going to work under
>> VMWare raw-disk anyway. I know - I've been there, done that.
>
> Curious: what's the difference between an OEM install and another one
> that makes this fail?

Sorry, I really should have been more precise. It shouldn't "fail" - it's
just that you get 30 days, and then Windows (XP at least) stops working.
It should actually be possible with a Win98 SE install. With Vista you
won't even get 30 days.

> It failed when I tried it because of a "recovery partition" by Acronis
> that insists on showing a menu on boot. This is a company laptop where I
> can't change that part

No idea. My HP recovery partition doesn't do anything of the sort.
--
derek

Old 07-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Leif Gregory

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:21:03 -0300
Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Sorry, I really should have been more precise. It shouldn't "fail" -
> it's just that you get 30 days, and then Windows (XP at least) stops
> working. It should actually be possible with a Win98 SE install.
> With Vista you won't even get 30 days.

Hmmm. I know with both mine, I had to activate Windows again, but I
didn't have any problems with it. The laptop was OEM.

> > It failed when I tried it because of a "recovery partition" by
> > Acronis that insists on showing a menu on boot. This is a company
> > laptop where I can't change that part
>
> No idea. My HP recovery partition doesn't do anything of the sort.

Neither does my Gateway. Weird.

--
Leif Gregory
Power Wagon Registry: http://powerwagonregistry.org