Old 07-21-2008, 02:22 AM
Jeffrey Needle

Default The pest again

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 18:04 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/20/2008 03:46 PM, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
> >>
> >> That said, if the OP wants to have access to his existing Windows
> >> install and run that in a window under Ubuntu, this can be done with
> >> virtualization. At least vmware supports it (with may a bit of Windows
> >> profile fiddling), I don't know about other virtualization solutions
> >> like Virtualbox or others.

> >> Also: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/wine
> >>

> > The first link is very helpful -- thanks. The second page doesn't seem
> > to exist.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Try:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine

Thanks. Works nicely!

Old 07-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Derek Broughton

Steven Davies-Morris wrote:

> Mario Vukelic wrote:
>> On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 11:58 -0700, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
>>> Is this now a dual-boot Ubuntu/WinXP system? I get the distinct
>>> impression that you are expecting WINE to magically give you
>>> access to the "Windows side" of a dual-boot system. Which is not
>>> what it does at all.
>>
>> That said, if the OP wants to have access to his existing Windows
>> install and run that in a window under Ubuntu, this can be done
>> with virtualization. At least vmware supports it (with may a bit of
>> Windows profile fiddling), I don't know about other virtualization
>> solutions like Virtualbox or others.
>>
>>> <http://www.winehq.org/>
>>
>> Also: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/wine
>
> Yup. I use Virtualbox myself for the few things I have to have that
> won't run via WINE.

But not in the way that Mario suggests. VMWare has "raw disk" support,
allowing you (if you feel lucky) to run Windows from it's own partition.
Virtualbox only allows you to run it off a virtual disk image.
--
derek

Old 07-21-2008, 07:32 PM
NoOp

On 07/21/2008 05:44 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:

> But not in the way that Mario suggests. VMWare has "raw disk" support,
> allowing you (if you feel lucky) to run Windows from it's own partition.
> Virtualbox only allows you to run it off a virtual disk image.

Can you point me to a howto for doing this in VMWare? I use VB (and am
quite happy with it w/Win2KP), but I also have two systems with WinXPP
on them; one has XP on a partition, the other has XP on it's own drive.
Both were OEM installs, so no CD's etc & it's a pain to have to reboot
(I use them for troubleshooting customer issues w/new devices etc).

Old 07-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Leif Gregory

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:32:14 -0700
NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Can you point me to a howto for doing this in VMWare? I use VB (and am
> quite happy with it w/Win2KP), but I also have two systems with WinXPP
> on them; one has XP on a partition, the other has XP on it's own
> drive. Both were OEM installs, so no CD's etc & it's a pain to have
> to reboot (I use them for troubleshooting customer issues w/new
> devices etc).

I used this tutorial to set up two of my Ubuntu boxes to utilize the
existing Windows partitions on them.

http://www.venturecake.com/a-simple-guide-to-using-your-existing-windows-install-apps-in-ubuntu/

The very important piece is at the GRUB menu to make sure you
don't let it boot your host Linux partition again as a VM. Could get
all sorts of wonky things going on as your host and VM compete to write
to the same files.

Other than that, it was a piece of cake and works great.

Note: I think the tutorial is still valid, but I did this under Gutsy
on those machines. They still work after updating to Hardy.

--
Leif Gregory
Power Wagon Registry: http://powerwagonregistry.org

Old 07-21-2008, 09:20 PM
NoOp

On 07/21/2008 01:15 PM, Leif Gregory wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:32:14 -0700
> NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Can you point me to a howto for doing this in VMWare? I use VB (and am
>> quite happy with it w/Win2KP), but I also have two systems with WinXPP
>> on them; one has XP on a partition, the other has XP on it's own
>> drive. Both were OEM installs, so no CD's etc & it's a pain to have
>> to reboot (I use them for troubleshooting customer issues w/new
>> devices etc).
>
> I used this tutorial to set up two of my Ubuntu boxes to utilize the
> existing Windows partitions on them.
>
> http://www.venturecake.com/a-simple-guide-to-using-your-existing-windows-install-apps-in-ubuntu/
>
> The very important piece is at the GRUB menu to make sure you
> don't let it boot your host Linux partition again as a VM. Could get
> all sorts of wonky things going on as your host and VM compete to write
> to the same files.
>
> Other than that, it was a piece of cake and works great.
>
> Note: I think the tutorial is still valid, but I did this under Gutsy
> on those machines. They still work after updating to Hardy.

Thanks! I'll give it a go and let you know if I blow anything up :-)

Old 07-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Leif Gregory

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:20:50 -0700
NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Thanks! I'll give it a go and let you know if I blow anything up :-)

Hey, if it blows up, I'll be hiding out at some unnamed bar somewhere!
<grin>

Old 07-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Jeffrey Needle

> I used this tutorial to set up two of my Ubuntu boxes to utilize the
> existing Windows partitions on them.
>
> http://www.venturecake.com/a-simple-guide-to-using-your-existing-windows-install-apps-in-ubuntu/
>
> The very important piece is at the GRUB menu to make sure you
> don't let it boot your host Linux partition again as a VM. Could get
> all sorts of wonky things going on as your host and VM compete to write
> to the same files.
>
> Other than that, it was a piece of cake and works great.
>
> Note: I think the tutorial is still valid, but I did this under Gutsy
> on those machines. They still work after updating to Hardy.

Thanks. I"ve got the page saved, and I'll give it a go this evening.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:01 AM
Derek Broughton

NoOp wrote:

> On 07/21/2008 05:44 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
>

>> But not in the way that Mario suggests. VMWare has "raw disk" support,
>> allowing you (if you feel lucky) to run Windows from it's own partition.
>> Virtualbox only allows you to run it off a virtual disk image.
>
> Can you point me to a howto for doing this in VMWare? I use VB (and am
> quite happy with it w/Win2KP), but I also have two systems with WinXPP
> on them; one has XP on a partition, the other has XP on it's own drive.
> Both were OEM installs, so no CD's etc & it's a pain to have to reboot
> (I use them for troubleshooting customer issues w/new devices etc).

No can do - if they're OEM installs they aren't going to work under VMWare
raw-disk anyway. I know - I've been there, done that.
--
derek

Old 07-22-2008, 03:36 AM
NoOp

On 07/21/2008 07:01 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 07/21/2008 05:44 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
>>

>>> But not in the way that Mario suggests. VMWare has "raw disk" support,
>>> allowing you (if you feel lucky) to run Windows from it's own partition.
>>> Virtualbox only allows you to run it off a virtual disk image.
>>
>> Can you point me to a howto for doing this in VMWare? I use VB (and am
>> quite happy with it w/Win2KP), but I also have two systems with WinXPP
>> on them; one has XP on a partition, the other has XP on it's own drive.
>> Both were OEM installs, so no CD's etc & it's a pain to have to reboot
>> (I use them for troubleshooting customer issues w/new devices etc).
>
> No can do - if they're OEM installs they aren't going to work under VMWare
> raw-disk anyway. I know - I've been there, done that.

Thanks. I'll save the trouble & keep dualbooting.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:51 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 23:01 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> No can do - if they're OEM installs they aren't going to work under
> VMWare raw-disk anyway. I know - I've been there, done that.

Curious: what's the difference between an OEM install and another one
that makes this fail?

It failed when I tried it because of a "recovery partition" by Acronis
that insists on showing a menu on boot. This is a company laptop where I
can't change that part