Old 07-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Sven

Default transcode FLV (YouTube flash) to MP4 (ISO MPEG v4)

Hi all

How to I convert a FLV video to MP4 (for iPod and PSP). I downloaded
flv2mpeg4 from getdeb.net, but I doesn't support audio.

regards
Sven

Old 07-20-2008, 07:16 PM
"David Fox"

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Sven <aluoor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> How to I convert a FLV video to MP4 (for iPod and PSP). I downloaded
> flv2mpeg4 from getdeb.net, but I doesn't support audio.

Try transcode or tovid. Tovid is a fairly extensive suite of programs
that depend on having things like mencoder, transcode, dvdauthor,
mpeg2enc, and ffmpeg to do the magic, mostly with shell scripts and a
bit of Python. Tovid can be found in the repositories (tovid-0.31
probably) but it's also at tovid.sourceforge.net, and it's best to get
the stuff direct from the SVN so you have the most up to date version.

ffmpeg probably could do it natively but I prefer using tovid because
it makes life easier, and I don't have to remember all the fancy
ffmpeg options (or transcodes, or mencoder either) from one run to the
next.

Tovid probably could do it as 'tovid -quality 10 -in file.flv -out
file.mp4' but I haven't tried it to make mp4s out of flvs. I have
successfully made a few nice dvd's out of a few flv files using the
tool.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Spruil

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:16:36 -0700, David Fox wrote:

> ffmpeg probably could do it natively but I prefer using tovid because it
> makes life easier, and I don't have to remember all the fancy ffmpeg
> options (or transcodes, or mencoder either) from one run to the next.

If you don't mind cheating and using wine, then you could use Mediacoder
from Sourceforge, which provides a nice GUI to FFMPEG and a few other
transcoders. It's tested to work with the latest version of Wine and in
my experience, it performs faster using Wine than XP.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Sven

On 07/20/2008 09:16 PM, David Fox wrote:
> Try transcode or tovid. Tovid is a fairly extensive suite of programs
> that depend on having things like mencoder, transcode, dvdauthor,
> mpeg2enc, and ffmpeg to do the magic, mostly with shell scripts and a
> bit of Python. Tovid can be found in the repositories (tovid-0.31
> probably) but it's also at tovid.sourceforge.net, and it's best to get
> the stuff direct from the SVN so you have the most up to date version.

Hi David

thank you

I seems to me Tovid is only for disc authoring (disc readable by most
DVD players). Not a general purpose transcoder.

== from Tovid wiki ==
Tovid is a collection of GPL video disc authoring tools; it can help you
create your own DVDs, VCDs, and SVCDs for playback on your home DVD player.

How are the options with transcode?

> ffmpeg probably could do it natively but I prefer using tovid because
> it makes life easier, and I don't have to remember all the fancy
> ffmpeg options (or transcodes, or mencoder either) from one run to the
> next.

How to do it with ffmpeg?

> Tovid probably could do it as 'tovid -quality 10 -in file.flv -out
> file.mp4' but I haven't tried it to make mp4s out of flvs. I have
> successfully made a few nice dvd's out of a few flv files using the
> tool.

$ tovid -in otto_walkes_apple_vs_pc-Muqu85jzsSU.flv -out
otto_walkes_apple_vs_pc-Muqu85jzsSU.mpeg4

gives me:

$ file otto_walkes_apple_vs_pc-Muqu85jzsSU.mpeg4.mpg
otto_walkes_apple_vs_pc-Muqu85jzsSU.mpeg4.mpg: MPEG sequence, v2,
program multiplex

regards
Sven