-   -   How to improve improve quality of audio in Linux (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/128305-how-improve-improve-quality-audio-linux.html)

Vincent Trouilliez 07-20-2008 06:35 PM

How to improve improve quality of audio in Linux

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 15:20:16 -0300
"Sergio Belkin" <sebelk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since a lot of years ago I don't use Windows no more, but a coworker
> has recently installed Linux (Ubuntu Hardy Heron) and he complains at
> me saying that sound is lower than in Windows, I had no much time to
> see it and sorry I don't remember which is the sound card, but of
> course I checked that mixer has high volumen... but still it sounds
> low. What can I do to improve the audio, what is better for a user
> with many years using Windows: Alsa, Pulse audio, OSS, any idea, tip,
> hint, etc...

Hmmm, I recently renewed my motherboard, and with it came a new sound
chip: out the old AC97, welcome to the RealTek ALC888 !
... and to the host of new sound related bugs that came with it !
The extremely low sound volume being one of them... searched the web...
well known problem... but no solution really, just live with it ! ;-/
I have amplified loudspeaker, set to 100% amplification, all controls
in the volumle control panels set to the max, and that only gives an
"acceptable" sound level.
I am seriously thinking of getting an add-on sound card with an old
fashioned AC97... at least that one "just worked".

Sorry for the bad news (in case your mate indeed has an ALC888 or
similar).

--
Vince

"David Fox" 07-20-2008 06:48 PM

How to improve improve quality of audio in Linux

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Vincent Trouilliez
<vincent.trouilliez@modulonet.fr> wrote:

> Hmmm, I recently renewed my motherboard, and with it came a new sound
> chip: out the old AC97, welcome to the RealTek ALC888 !

I did as well - from a 7 year old Asus to an ECS, with AMD64. I was
using Sound Blaster Live for the last 7 years, and now I'm using the
on board sound (nvidia hca or something) that comes with that
motherboard, and no longer using the SB. One of the first things I
noticed was that the sound volume most of the time is lower than it
was on the SB, but other than that sound works well. I don't use
pulseaudio at all, to my knowledge - haven't even set it up. ALSA
here.

> I have amplified loudspeaker, set to 100% amplification, all controls
> in the volumle control panels set to the max, and that only gives an

Here, I have the output of the sound "card" (header really) going out
through cables to the in jack on my big stereo - the same way I've
done it for years. Before, I had a pair of amplified computer
speakers, but there were too many shorts and I had bad audio.

"Chris Mohler" 07-21-2008 06:42 PM

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Sergio Belkin <sebelk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since a lot of years ago I don't use Windows no more, but a coworker
> has recently installed Linux (Ubuntu Hardy Heron) and he complains at
> me saying that sound is lower than in Windows, I had no much time to
> see it and sorry I don't remember which is the sound card, but of
> course I checked that mixer has high volumen... but still it sounds
> low. What can I do to improve the audio, what is better for a user
> with many years using Windows: Alsa, Pulse audio, OSS, any idea, tip,
> hint, etc...

On my laptop (Intel something soundcard), I had to double-click the
volume slider (in Gnome), and select edit->preferences. On that
screen, I had to make "front" visible and increase the volume. He may
try checking them all at once or one by one and then increasing the
volume on each slider.

'alsamixer' in a terminal will also show these "hidden" channels.

Good luck!
Chris