-   -   The pest again (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/128295-pest-again.html)

Jeffrey Needle 07-20-2008 06:01 PM

The pest again

I just downloaded Wine and it installed just fine. It appears in my
Applications drop-down menu.

When I start Wine, I choose "Browse C: drive" and it gives me only two
folders -- Program Files and Windows. Under Program Files I should have
hundreds of folders, Common Files and Internet Explorer. There's no
starting point for running a WinXP program.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm using Wubi's install of Ubuntu with the
gnome desktop. Thanks again.

Mario Vukelic 07-20-2008 06:10 PM

The pest again

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 11:01 -0700, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
> When I start Wine, I choose "Browse C: drive" and it gives me only
> two folders -- Program Files and Windows. Under Program Files I
> should have hundreds of folders, Common Files and Internet Explorer.
> There's no starting point for running a WinXP program.

Excuse the question, but did you actually install any Windows programs,
using Wine? Your post doesn't make that clear to me.

Steven Davies-Morris 07-20-2008 06:58 PM

The pest again

Jeffrey Needle wrote:
> I just downloaded Wine and it installed just fine. It appears in my
> Applications drop-down menu.
>
> When I start Wine, I choose "Browse C: drive" and it gives me only two
> folders -- Program Files and Windows. Under Program Files I should have
> hundreds of folders, Common Files and Internet Explorer. There's no
> starting point for running a WinXP program.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? I'm using Wubi's install of Ubuntu with the
> gnome desktop. Thanks again.

Is this now a dual-boot Ubuntu/WinXP system? I get the distinct
impression that you are expecting WINE to magically give you access to
the "Windows side" of a dual-boot system. Which is not what it does
at all. What it will do is let you run some Windows applications
under control of its Win32 API compatibility layer (emulation). But
you've got to install the apps. Go here for more about WINE:

<http://www.winehq.org/>
NP: nothing

Pastor JW 07-20-2008 07:01 PM

The pest again

On Sunday 20 July 2008 11:01:44 am Jeffrey Needle wrote:
> I just downloaded Wine and it installed just fine. It appears in my
> Applications drop-down menu.
>
> When I start Wine, I choose "Browse C: drive" and it gives me only two
> folders -- Program Files and Windows. Under Program Files I should have
> hundreds of folders, Common Files and Internet Explorer. There's no
> starting point for running a WinXP program.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? I'm using Wubi's install of Ubuntu with the
> gnome desktop. Thanks again.

Lets see, you are in windoze running Ubuntu (Wubi runs Ubuntu in a windows
file), which you inturn are setting up to run windoze? The long way around
the house! Actually WINE works best for running just a windoze app, you
know, that game you can't live without which won't run on anything but
windoze? You are not running a whole windoze installation with WINE; just
enough to run the app is all.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org