-   -   no more windows (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/128293-no-more-windows.html)

norman 07-20-2008 05:57 PM

no more windows

> Some research led me to believe that I should change
> the NIC setup from
> NAT to bridged. I did this and then found that I was
> unable to access
> the internet.
>

> If you're going to use NAT you will need a router with a DHCP
> server included. Most home routers have this feature built
> it. Personally I use a WRT-54GL, it works great and allows my
> virtual machines to get on the internet just as you have
> mentioned.
>
> Er, I meant to say "if you're going to use *bridged*" - my bad!

Assuming I have got a DHCP server included in my router do I need to
give it any instructions before bridged will work? Routers and their use
is something I know very little about.

Norman

Pastor JW 07-20-2008 06:06 PM

no more windows

On Sunday 20 July 2008 07:38:38 am Kim Briggs wrote:
> On 7/20/08, norman <norman@littletank.org> wrote:
>
> > Could some kind person please point me in the correct direction so that
> > I can remove windows from my machine and have Ubuntu 8.04 only.
> >
> > Norman
>
> Hi Norman,
>
> Here is the ISO file: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
>
> You need to burn it as an "ISO image" and not as a data disk. One of
> the choices during setup will be "use entire disk". The Ubuntu setup
> program will format your disk for you and rid you of Windows.

While true, that was not his problem. He already has XP running in VM which
is done so he can play Bridge Baron. His problem is getting an online
connection from his brother's machine to his. With DHCP enabled in his
router and changed to bridged, it ought to do just what he wants.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Karl Larsen 07-20-2008 10:40 PM

no more windows

Pastor JW wrote:
> On Sunday 20 July 2008 07:38:38 am Kim Briggs wrote:
>
>> On 7/20/08, norman <norman@littletank.org> wrote:
>>

>>> Could some kind person please point me in the correct direction so that
>>> I can remove windows from my machine and have Ubuntu 8.04 only.
>>>
>>> Norman
>>>
>> Hi Norman,
>>
>> Here is the ISO file: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
>>
>> You need to burn it as an "ISO image" and not as a data disk. One of
>> the choices during setup will be "use entire disk". The Ubuntu setup
>> program will format your disk for you and rid you of Windows.
>>

> While true, that was not his problem. He already has XP running in VM which
> is done so he can play Bridge Baron. His problem is getting an online
> connection from his brother's machine to his. With DHCP enabled in his
> router and changed to bridged, it ought to do just what he wants.

I am wondering why so many people loading Ubuntu MUST also have
Windows XT or Vista? I should think that if they are not sure they will
like Ubuntu then load Ubuntu in it's own partition and have Grub boot to
it when you want to. All this pain and waste of time on VM seems to
generate many messages on how to get VM working.

Of course my computer has zero Windows and this is because nothing
on windows do I want. It sure makes it cleaner and easy.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

"Sean Carolan" 07-21-2008 02:19 PM

no more windows

> I am wondering why so many people loading Ubuntu MUST also have
> Windows XT or Vista? I should think that if they are not sure they will
> like Ubuntu then load Ubuntu in it's own partition and have Grub boot to
> it when you want to. All this pain and waste of time on VM seems to
> generate many messages on how to get VM working.
>
> Of course my computer has zero Windows and this is because nothing
> on windows do I want. It sure makes it cleaner and easy.

Some of us *MUST* keep a Windows installation around for running
programs that are not available in Ubuntu. In particular, I run
Windows XP inside a virtual machine for the express purpose of running
Outlook (LookOut!). I don't think using VMware is a waste of time at
all. Once VMware is set up correctly it works perfectly and allows
extra flexibility that dual-booting can never offer. Different
strokes for different folks.

And to the other poster who had trouble with his wireless connection -
the free VMWare server does not support bridging via wifi interfaces.
This feature might be available in the paid VMWare workstation.

Darren Mansell 07-21-2008 02:31 PM

no more windows

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:19:49 -0500, "Sean Carolan" <scarolan@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> I am wondering why so many people loading Ubuntu MUST also have
>> Windows XT or Vista? I should think that if they are not sure they will
>> like Ubuntu then load Ubuntu in it's own partition and have Grub boot to
>> it when you want to. All this pain and waste of time on VM seems to
>> generate many messages on how to get VM working.
>>
>> Of course my computer has zero Windows and this is because nothing
>> on windows do I want. It sure makes it cleaner and easy.
>
> Some of us *MUST* keep a Windows installation around for running
> programs that are not available in Ubuntu. In particular, I run
> Windows XP inside a virtual machine for the express purpose of running
> Outlook (LookOut!). I don't think using VMware is a waste of time at
> all. Once VMware is set up correctly it works perfectly and allows
> extra flexibility that dual-booting can never offer. Different
> strokes for different folks.
>
> And to the other poster who had trouble with his wireless connection -
> the free VMWare server does not support bridging via wifi interfaces.
> This feature might be available in the paid VMWare workstation.

Can I take this slightly OT and ask why you have to use Outlook?

thanks
Darren

Smoot Carl-Mitchell 07-21-2008 02:46 PM

no more windows

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 09:19 -0500, Sean Carolan wrote:

> Some of us *MUST* keep a Windows installation around for running
> programs that are not available in Ubuntu. In particular, I run
> Windows XP inside a virtual machine for the express purpose of running
> Outlook (LookOut!). I don't think using VMware is a waste of time at
> all. Once VMware is set up correctly it works perfectly and allows
> extra flexibility that dual-booting can never offer. Different
> strokes for different folks.

I do the same. However, I do not run Outlook, but use the Evolution
Exchange connector. It works well enough, but there are some problems
with limitations in the Exchage WebDAV API. Hopefully, the Evo folks
will eventually put together a native MAPI interface.

> And to the other poster who had trouble with his wireless connection -
> the free VMWare server does not support bridging via wifi interfaces.
> This feature might be available in the paid VMWare workstation.

The wireless protocol does not support bridging as I recall. It has to
do with having multiple MAC addresses on a single wireless interface. I
run my VMware instances using NAT which works fine unless you are
running a network service on your Windows instance.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Pastor JW 07-21-2008 04:56 PM

no more windows

On Monday 21 July 2008 07:31:00 am Darren Mansell wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:19:49 -0500, "Sean Carolan" <scarolan@gmail.com>

> > Some of us *MUST* keep a Windows installation around for running
> > programs that are not available in Ubuntu. In particular, I run
> > Windows XP inside a virtual machine for the express purpose of running
> > Outlook (LookOut!). I don't think using VMware is a waste of time at
> > all. Once VMware is set up correctly it works perfectly and allows
> > extra flexibility that dual-booting can never offer. Different
> > strokes for different folks.
>

> Can I take this slightly OT and ask why you have to use Outlook?

I thought that odd also. Outlook is the very reason I avoid and detest
windoze!

Derek Broughton 07-22-2008 02:05 AM

no more windows

Pastor JW wrote:

> On Monday 21 July 2008 07:31:00 am Darren Mansell wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:19:49 -0500, "Sean Carolan" <scarolan@gmail.com>
>
>> > Some of us *MUST* keep a Windows installation around for running
>> > programs that are not available in Ubuntu. In particular, I run
>> > Windows XP inside a virtual machine for the express purpose of running
>> > Outlook (LookOut!). I don't think using VMware is a waste of time at
>> > all. Once VMware is set up correctly it works perfectly and allows
>> > extra flexibility that dual-booting can never offer. Different
>> > strokes for different folks.
>>
>> Can I take this slightly OT and ask why you have to use Outlook?
>
> I thought that odd also. Outlook is the very reason I avoid and detest
> windoze!

Because some of us receive mail via Exchange, and the frigin' clients won't
let us have either IMAP access or automated forwarding of email... I _can_
access the mail through the Exchange Web interface, but it's the most
painful (and slowest) web interface I've ever used - even worse than
Hotmail.
--
derek

Pastor JW 07-22-2008 05:41 AM

no more windows

On Monday 21 July 2008 07:05:55 pm Derek Broughton wrote:

> Because some of us receive mail via Exchange, and the frigin' clients won't
> let us have either IMAP access or automated forwarding of email... I _can_
> access the mail through the Exchange Web interface, but it's the most
> painful (and slowest) web interface I've ever used - even worse than
> Hotmail.

Aw man, sorry about that, ...I've always used an email client. All the way
back to my C=64 days. Amiga came along and with it YAM. Coming to Linux I
looked for something close to Yam and found claws. Even my filters worked
with it!! Then Kmail started to come along in reasonable usability so I
worked over my filters and went with it. Not as good as Yam but them I no
longer have my 4000. It quit in 2004 after running 24/7 since 1991 as my BBS
computer. Down time in all that time was 43 minutes. Both my Yahoo and
Google accounts work with Kmail downloads and even with the uploads, although
my outgoing mail usually goes out from my ISP's smpt address as it is my
default, I can also smpt through both my yahoo and google accounts with
Kmail. I do not however, appreciate or like the bloated Kontact or Evolution
mega versions using the same basic mailer system. When you attain my age
you like lean and mean!

Derek Broughton 07-22-2008 02:23 PM

no more windows

Pastor JW wrote:

> On Monday 21 July 2008 07:05:55 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
>>

>> Because some of us receive mail via Exchange, and the frigin' clients
>> won't
>> let us have either IMAP access or automated forwarding of email... I
>> _can_ access the mail through the Exchange Web interface, but it's the
>> most painful (and slowest) web interface I've ever used - even worse than
>> Hotmail.
>
> Aw man, sorry about that, ...I've always used an email client.

me too. I've reached the point where I put a KVM switch on my desk at the
client's, and boot up their XP machine solely to check my mail. Anybody I
know there who has _real_ email needs uses a gmail account :-)

--
derek