Old 07-22-2008, 03:06 PM
NoOp

Default no more windows

On 07/21/2008 07:05 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:

> Because some of us receive mail via Exchange, and the frigin' clients won't
> let us have either IMAP access or automated forwarding of email... I _can_
> access the mail through the Exchange Web interface, but it's the most
> painful (and slowest) web interface I've ever used - even worse than
> Hotmail.

Does Evolution work?

Old 07-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Darren Mansell

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:06:47 -0700, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 07/21/2008 07:05 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
>

>> Because some of us receive mail via Exchange, and the frigin' clients
> won't
>> let us have either IMAP access or automated forwarding of email... I
> _can_
>> access the mail through the Exchange Web interface, but it's the most
>> painful (and slowest) web interface I've ever used - even worse than
>> Hotmail.
>
> Does Evolution work?

Exactly what I was wondering. I have to connect to an exchange and I use
Evolution. I have the ability to use Outlook on crossover office but I
prefer to work in Evolution, much nicer client.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Because some of us receive mail via Exchange, and the frigin' clients won't
> let us have either IMAP access or automated forwarding of email... I _can_
> access the mail through the Exchange Web interface, but it's the most
> painful (and slowest) web interface I've ever used - even worse than
> Hotmail.

Then you haven't tried using Horde here where I work. Outlook Web
Access is a major improvement. Replicates almost all functionality of
the Outlook client.
Now, I'm not saying I like Outlook/Exchange... I'm hoping to get
Evolution to work with our Exchange 2007 server with that plugin
mentioned earlier...

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,
From here to there,
Funny things
are everywhere."
--- Dr. Seuss

Old 07-22-2008, 07:23 PM
"debiani386@gmail.com"

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 08:06 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/21/2008 07:05 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
>

> > Because some of us receive mail via Exchange, and the frigin' clients won't
> > let us have either IMAP access or automated forwarding of email... I _can_
> > access the mail through the Exchange Web interface, but it's the most
> > painful (and slowest) web interface I've ever used - even worse than
> > Hotmail.
>
> Does Evolution work?

Note: Evolution does do Exchange, and though i have had no problems with
it at all, some have said that evolution doesnt do it very well.

I have used evolution on my schools Exchange service and it worked just
fine

--cj

Old 07-22-2008, 07:24 PM
"debiani386@gmail.com"

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 17:26 +0100, Darren Mansell wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:06:47 -0700, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > On 07/21/2008 07:05 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> >

> >> Because some of us receive mail via Exchange, and the frigin' clients
> > won't
> >> let us have either IMAP access or automated forwarding of email... I
> > _can_
> >> access the mail through the Exchange Web interface, but it's the most
> >> painful (and slowest) web interface I've ever used - even worse than
> >> Hotmail.
> >
> > Does Evolution work?
> >

> Exactly what I was wondering. I have to connect to an exchange and I use
> Evolution. I have the ability to use Outlook on crossover office but I
> prefer to work in Evolution, much nicer client.

and from my experiences, much faster then outlook anytime

--cj

Old 07-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Derek Broughton

Darren Mansell wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:06:47 -0700, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 07/21/2008 07:05 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
>>

>>> Because some of us receive mail via Exchange, and the frigin' clients
>> won't
>>> let us have either IMAP access or automated forwarding of email... I
>> _can_
>>> access the mail through the Exchange Web interface, but it's the most
>>> painful (and slowest) web interface I've ever used - even worse than
>>> Hotmail.
>>
>> Does Evolution work?
>>
> Exactly what I was wondering. I have to connect to an exchange and I use
> Evolution. I have the ability to use Outlook on crossover office but I
> prefer to work in Evolution, much nicer client.

No, they have a completely inappropriate level of paranoia - almost all
ports are blocked, unless they really could be used to infiltrate the local
network; they absolutely trust McAfee will keep machines free of viruses -
but if McAfee actually reports having caught and removed a virus, they'll
want to take your machine away to disinfect it; and they remove anything
that's attached to incoming mail whether it's executable or not...
--
derek

Old 07-23-2008, 08:50 PM
"Mark Haney"

Derek Broughton wrote:
> No, they have a completely inappropriate level of paranoia - almost all
> ports are blocked, unless they really could be used to infiltrate the local
> network; they absolutely trust McAfee will keep machines free of viruses -
> but if McAfee actually reports having caught and removed a virus, they'll
> want to take your machine away to disinfect it; and they remove anything
> that's attached to incoming mail whether it's executable or not...

IIRC, Evolution uses a modified wrapper of OWA for accessing Exchange.
So even if the network is firewalled you should be able to get Evolution
to work regardless. It's been a while since I"ve done that, they might
have changed it since, but I was able to do exactly that for a company I
worked for a few years back.

--
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Old 07-24-2008, 06:07 PM
"Sean Carolan"

> IIRC, Evolution uses a modified wrapper of OWA for accessing Exchange.
> So even if the network is firewalled you should be able to get Evolution
> to work regardless. It's been a while since I"ve done that, they might
> have changed it since, but I was able to do exactly that for a company I
> worked for a few years back.

I tried using Evolution with our Exchange server several months ago.
It was so slow that I found it completely un-usable. The calendar and
task list integration with the gnome-panel clock is really nice
though!

Old 07-24-2008, 06:17 PM
"Mark Haney"

Sean Carolan wrote:
>> IIRC, Evolution uses a modified wrapper of OWA for accessing Exchange.
>> So even if the network is firewalled you should be able to get Evolution
>> to work regardless. It's been a while since I"ve done that, they might
>> have changed it since, but I was able to do exactly that for a company I
>> worked for a few years back.
>
> I tried using Evolution with our Exchange server several months ago.
> It was so slow that I found it completely un-usable. The calendar and
> task list integration with the gnome-panel clock is really nice
> though!

You know, I've really felt like Evolution has become very bloated
recently. I don't know if that's just me or what. I did a test last
night with it and found that it's not quite as fast as IMAP in
Thunderbird, but it was usable. Granted, it seemed slower to me than
when I used it last time. As I've said, I've rather moved away from it
because it seems sluggish recently and have preferred Thunderbird more.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support