Old 07-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Oguz Yarimtepe

Default dimming problem

I have been trying to dim my backlight. Till now i couldn't find a
solution. Thats why i entered a bug report[1].

I decided to ask here also. There may be a problem with gnome power
manager and gnome brightness applet at ubuntu hardy, or maybe the latest
nvidia drievers dont support dimming. I dont know.

What i want is some ideas. I tried xbacklight and smartdimmer but as i
wrote at the bugreport i didnt get any result from them. I can try to
fix them if it will have a solution. So any one who is using a nvidia
5600 series graphic card under Hardy may share his/her experince about
dimming.

What i want is not to adjust the brightness from the nvidia-setting, to
adjust the voltage of the backlight in some way so i can save power. Any
ideas are also welcome related with my problem.

And how can i adjust the voltage coming to backlight? Is there any
library that i can use for that? I may try to write my own program.

[1]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+bug/250067

--
Oğuz Yarımtepe