Old 07-20-2008, 12:54 AM
"Glenn Stegemeier"

Default Triple Booting

I am wondering if it is possible to Triple boot my machine. I am currently dual booting Windows XP and Vista Ultimate and I would like to add Ubuntu if it is possible, and how do I do it?
*
TIA

Old 07-20-2008, 12:58 AM
Chris

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:54:27 -0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
"Glenn Stegemeier" <roadrash1965@rogers.com> wrote:

> I am wondering if it is possible to Triple boot my machine. I am
> currently dual booting Windows XP and Vista Ultimate and I would like
> to add Ubuntu if it is possible, and how do I do it?
>
> TIA

Why not run something like VMWare or one of the other Virtual apps out
there. This way, you can stay within your choice of Windows while still
using Ubu?

Personally - I never found the logic in multi-booting. That's just me
tho.

--
Best regards,

Chris

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

Old 07-20-2008, 01:11 AM
"Glenn Stegemeier"

The only reason that I want to triple boot is for bragging rights (My buddy said it can't be done) thanks for the suggestion tho. I never thought of that. (Now if I can get OS X on here*as well...)*
*

*
Why not run something like VMWare or one of the other Virtual apps out
there. This way, you can stay within your choice of Windows while still
using Ubu?
*
Personally - I never found the logic in multi-booting. That's just me
tho.
*
--
Best regards,
*
Chris
*
()**ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
/**www.asciiribbon.org** - against proprietary attachments
*
* "There's no place like 127.0.0.1"
*
*
*
__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 3282 (20080719) __________
*
*
http://www.eset.com
*
*

Old 07-20-2008, 01:18 AM
Chris

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 19:11:09 -0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
"Glenn Stegemeier" <roadrash1965@rogers.com> wrote:

*** Formatted for ease of reading ***

> [...]

Ahh - now that would be a nice trick (OS X)!

--
Best regards,

Chris

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

Old 07-20-2008, 01:56 AM
David Curtis

Chris wrote:

>> The only reason that I want to triple boot is for bragging rights (My
>> buddy said it can't be done) thanks for the suggestion tho. I never
>> thought of that. (Now if I can get OS X on here as well...)
>
> Ahh - now that would be a nice trick (OS X)!

The number of OSes grub can boot are limited only by the number of
partitions you have, by using different methods people have literally
booted hundreds of OSes. Unfortunately the switch to the Pata names has
limited the number of partitions to 15 per disk. But there are ways to
get around this.

OS X? not a problem, google 'grub booting OS X'.

Dave

Old 07-20-2008, 01:58 AM
Chris

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:56:31 -0400
David Curtis <dcurtis@uniserve.com> wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>

> >> The only reason that I want to triple boot is for bragging rights
> >> (My buddy said it can't be done) thanks for the suggestion tho. I
> >> never thought of that. (Now if I can get OS X on here as well...)
> >
> > Ahh - now that would be a nice trick (OS X)!
> >

> The number of OSes grub can boot are limited only by the number of
> partitions you have, by using different methods people have literally
> booted hundreds of OSes. Unfortunately the switch to the Pata names
> has limited the number of partitions to 15 per disk. But there are
> ways to get around this.
>
> OS X? not a problem, google 'grub booting OS X'.
>
> Dave

I think the Op is referring to OS X on a Wintel (assuming because the Op
mentions both XP and Vista).

--
Best regards,

Chris

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

Old 07-20-2008, 02:05 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- Glenn Stegemeier <roadrash1965@rogers.com> wrote:

> I am wondering if it is possible to Triple boot my
> machine. I am currently
> dual booting Windows XP and Vista Ultimate and I
> would like to add Ubuntu if
> it is possible, and how do I do it?
>
> TIA> --
You can boot any number of OS's using
grub(/boot/grub/menu.lst); at least linux, windows and
OSx and probably others.
In menui.lst, default options there is a line, how
many = ?, where you can enter a number or all and get
as many boot entries as you wish. Be sure to make the
entries are added as directed, don't delete anything,
2# signs are directions, one # is the entry where you
just add a number or all. In my menu.lst I have 10
entries including rescue mode, memtest and Vista and
Vista recovery. Plan on adding Hardy 32 bit and Gutsy
64 bit to what I already have. Add all you want and
have fun.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 07-20-2008, 03:14 AM
Paul Hartman

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 08:18:34PM -0500, Chris wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 19:11:09 -0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
> "Glenn Stegemeier" <roadrash1965@rogers.com> wrote:
>

> *** Formatted for ease of reading ***

For OS X check this:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

From the looks of it a lot of people have done it.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:46 AM
David Curtis

Chris wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:56:31 -0400
> David Curtis <dcurtis@uniserve.com> wrote:

>>> Ahh - now that would be a nice trick (OS X)!
>>>

>> The number of OSes grub can boot are limited only by the number of
>> partitions you have, by using different methods people have literally
>> booted hundreds of OSes. Unfortunately the switch to the Pata names
>> has limited the number of partitions to 15 per disk. But there are
>> ways to get around this.
>>
>> OS X? not a problem, google 'grub booting OS X'.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> I think the Op is referring to OS X on a Wintel (assuming because the Op
> mentions both XP and Vista).

Yup, whether it's mac hardware or hacking OS X onto regular PC hardware,
grub should boot it with a chainloader.

Dave

Old 07-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Karl Larsen

Matt Georgetti wrote:
> A few years back, when I was going to school, we had 4 OS's on our computers
> (2000 Pro, 2003 Server, XP, Fedora) and it really wasn't that big of a deal.
> I believe the rule of thumb for the Windows OS's was that they were
> installed in order of oldest to newest with the Linux installed last.

Yes it is really simple if both windows are working now. All you do
is make a partition for Ubuntu and a swap partition. Then load Ubuntu
from the LiveCD. Be certain that the loader chooses the proper
partitions and you will reboot with grub being able to boot either
windows or Ubuntu.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI