-   -   Knode (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/127941-knode.html)

Jeffrey Needle 07-19-2008 11:55 PM

Knode

Well, I've tried Pan as a newsreader. It's not entirely satisfactory,
as some have warned me previously.

Knode is listed under both Add/Remove Programs and Synaptic as a news
reader. I installed it using Add/Remove, but it isn't anywhere to be
found under Applications. I reinstalled it using Synaptic, and it still
doesn't appear anywhere on the screen.

I see it's part of KDE PIM, but that's not anywhere on my system,
either. Does anyone have any insight into what's happening? I tried to
search for a file with the name Knode in the filename, but nothing turns
up.

I'm using Ubuntu installed using the Wubi installer.

Thanks.

"David Fox" 07-20-2008 04:34 AM

Knode

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Jeffrey Needle <jeff.needle@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I've tried Pan as a newsreader. It's not entirely satisfactory,
> as some have warned me previously.

What have you found that it's missing? Personally, I prefer it for
getting binary attachments as it does a terrific job of automatically
getting all the parts for you. It doesn't work at all for posting
binaries, however. There are other tools that one can use from the
command line, but I rarely do that.

> Knode is listed under both Add/Remove Programs and Synaptic as a news
> reader. I installed it using Add/Remove, but it isn't anywhere to be

It should be there if you've installed it. I don't use menus all that
often. Have you tried going to a konsole and running knode from the
command line?

> I see it's part of KDE PIM, but that's not anywhere on my system,
> either. Does anyone have any insight into what's happening? I tried to

Well it's part of kontact, which also includes some other programs,
but it's installable separately.

dfox@newbox:~$ aptitude show knode
Package: knode
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 4:3.5.9-0ubuntu3
Section: universe/net
Maintainer: Ubuntu Core developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>

Jeffrey Needle 07-20-2008 05:51 PM

Knode

On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 21:34 -0700, David Fox wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Jeffrey Needle <jeff.needle@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, I've tried Pan as a newsreader. It's not entirely satisfactory,
> > as some have warned me previously.
>
> What have you found that it's missing? Personally, I prefer it for
> getting binary attachments as it does a terrific job of automatically
> getting all the parts for you. It doesn't work at all for posting
> binaries, however. There are other tools that one can use from the
> command line, but I rarely do that.

One of the problems I'm having is that is seems to forget settings
between sessions. I always want to download just the new messages, but
occasionally it pops up and asks me which headers I want, the last 7
days, etc. When my fingers start flying, I'll occasionally press
<enter> and get a lot of stuff I don't want.

Less serious is the inability to assign hot keys to actions. I like to
work on the keyboard, and so far I haven't found a hotkey to follow-up
on a newsgroup posting. Sheesh, I'm old. I keep pressing ctrl-r, the
Windows way (in most apps) to reply to a posting, then I realize I've
messed up again and now have to click on an icon to follow up. Perhaps
I'm missing something here.

> > Knode is listed under both Add/Remove Programs and Synaptic as a news
> > reader. I installed it using Add/Remove, but it isn't anywhere to be
>
> It should be there if you've installed it. I don't use menus all that
> often. Have you tried going to a konsole and running knode from the
> command line?

Didn't think of that. When I just tried it, it eventually started the
app, but not before getting the following:

kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated
action.
kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated
action.
kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated
action.
kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated
action.
kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated
action.
kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated
action.
kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated
action.

I have no idea what that means.

> > I see it's part of KDE PIM, but that's not anywhere on my system,
> > either. Does anyone have any insight into what's happening? I tried to
>
> Well it's part of kontact, which also includes some other programs,
> but it's installable separately.

Indeed, I started kontact, but the news reader was nowhere to be
found.

Thanks for the help!

"David Fox" 07-22-2008 04:26 AM

Knode

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Jeffrey Needle <jeff.needle@gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the problems I'm having is that is seems to forget settings
> between sessions. I always want to download just the new messages, but

Sometimes that happens to me, and the other thing I wish pan would do
would be a way to clean out already read posts. I frequently find that
I'm deleting read articles after the fact manually rather than just
have it get rid of them on close/exit.

If I don't read a group in sometime, it seems to expire everything and
start over with the freshest articles, instead of just continuing
where it left off. But I think that could be adjusted by keeping more
days of retention. Problem when you do that, is that the thing takes
forever to get all the intervening days articles, and if you don;'t
have enough disk space, you run out downloading all the articles. This
is more troublesome in the high-usage binary newsgroups though.

I'm not that big into hotkeys though.

> Didn't think of that. When I just tried it, it eventually started the
> app, but not before getting the following:
>
> kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated
> action.

Probably normal noise. Some apps are really noisy when called from a
terminal session, or when you try to do work in the application as
well as in the terminal that called it (via app &). Still if you
prefer starting it from the desktop, via an icon, you may wish to
peruse the icon content to see whether or not it starts the app
correctly (properties, permissions and so forth).