Old 07-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Jeffrey Needle

Default Shortcut keys question

I'm using the Ubuntu install called Wubi -- still deciding whether I
will stick with Linux or return to Windows (yuck).

Is there a way to assign a shortcut key that will insert the current
date into a document or a database field? I know I can do this
individually by app, but I would love to have a common way of doing this
wherever I am in the system.

I'm using Gnome desktop.

Thanks.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:52:56 -0700
Jeffrey Needle <jeff.needle@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using the Ubuntu install called Wubi -- still deciding whether I
> will stick with Linux or return to Windows (yuck).
>
> Is there a way to assign a shortcut key that will insert the current
> date into a document or a database field? I know I can do this
> individually by app, but I would love to have a common way of doing this
> wherever I am in the system.
>
> I'm using Gnome desktop.

Hi,

Don't know about assigning a string to a short-cut in the general
sense, however until someone who knows helps you out, what you could do
is simply to right-click on the calendar applet in the gnome panel,
which then gives you the possibility to copy the current date (and
time too, should you wish) to the clipboard. Then you can just use Shift
+Insert to put it anywhere you want.

--
vince

Old 07-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Jeffrey Needle

On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 20:00 +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:52:56 -0700
> Jeffrey Needle <jeff.needle@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm using the Ubuntu install called Wubi -- still deciding whether I
> > will stick with Linux or return to Windows (yuck).
> >
> > Is there a way to assign a shortcut key that will insert the current
> > date into a document or a database field? I know I can do this
> > individually by app, but I would love to have a common way of doing this
> > wherever I am in the system.
> >
> > I'm using Gnome desktop.
>
> Hi,
>
> Don't know about assigning a string to a short-cut in the general
> sense, however until someone who knows helps you out, what you could do
> is simply to right-click on the calendar applet in the gnome panel,
> which then gives you the possibility to copy the current date (and
> time too, should you wish) to the clipboard. Then you can just use Shift
> +Insert to put it anywhere you want.
>

> --
> vince

Thanks -- works nicely. I'll wait to see if someone else has an idea.
I appreciate the tip!