Old 07-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Leonard Bussey

Default Switching from 64 bit to 32 bit version

Hello
I'm somewhat new to Ubuntu. I installed the 64 bit version on my Compaq
laptop. Is there an easy way to change it the 32 bit version or should
I do a re-install? Thank you for your assistance.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Karl Larsen

Leonard Bussey wrote:
> Hello
> I'm somewhat new to Ubuntu. I installed the 64 bit version on my Compaq
> laptop. Is there an easy way to change it the 32 bit version or should
> I do a re-install? Thank you for your assistance.

The only way to change is to re-install a 32 bit version. Sorry, but
that is how it is.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Leonard Bussey

On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 10:44 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Leonard Bussey wrote:
> > Hello
> > I'm somewhat new to Ubuntu. I installed the 64 bit version on my Compaq
> > laptop. Is there an easy way to change it the 32 bit version or should
> > I do a re-install? Thank you for your assistance.
> >

> The only way to change is to re-install a 32 bit version. Sorry, but
> that is how it is.
>

> Karl
>

> --
>
> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> Linux User
> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
> PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7

I did some searching on the forums and found that I could CHROOT the 32
bit programs (i.e. Firefox, Adobe Flash, etc..), but it looked like more
than what I want to get into right now. Installing the 32 bit version
looks like the best bet right now.

Thank you for the reply.

Len Bussey

Old 07-19-2008, 07:40 PM
"David Fox"

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Leonard Bussey <lbus42@gmail.com> wrote:

> I did some searching on the forums and found that I could CHROOT the 32
> bit programs (i.e. Firefox, Adobe Flash, etc..), but it looked like more

firefox is 64 bit.

You can get around doing a reinstall and not going through the hassle
of doing a 32-bit chroot by just installing ia32-libs for 32bit and
then installing the 32-bit programs you can't get in 64 bit (acroread,
flash, etc.)

Switching to 32-bit would require a reinstall, unless you want to do
something like run the 32 bit version alongside the 64-bit one in
virtualbox or something

Old 07-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

If you have enough room on your HDD, format in it
another partition and install a separate 32 bit
version. You then have both to play with.

Len
--- Leonard Bussey <lbus42@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 10:44 -0600, Karl Larsen
> wrote:
> > Leonard Bussey wrote:
> > > Hello
> > > I'm somewhat new to Ubuntu. I installed the 64
> bit version on my Compaq
> > > laptop. Is there an easy way to change it the
> 32 bit version or should
> > > I do a re-install? Thank you for your
> assistance.
> > >

> > The only way to change is to re-install a 32
> bit version. Sorry, but
> > that is how it is.
> >

> > Karl
> >

> > --
> >
> > Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> > Linux User
> > #450462 http://counter.li.org.
> > PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54
> FE23 53A7
> >

> I did some searching on the forums and found that I
> could CHROOT the 32
> bit programs (i.e. Firefox, Adobe Flash, etc..), but
> it looked like more
> than what I want to get into right now. Installing
> the 32 bit version
> looks like the best bet right now.
>
> Thank you for the reply.
>
> Len Bussey

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 07-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Pastor JW

On Saturday 19 July 2008 12:40:40 pm David Fox wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Leonard Bussey <lbus42@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I did some searching on the forums and found that I could CHROOT the 32
> > bit programs (i.e. Firefox, Adobe Flash, etc..), but it looked like more
>
> firefox is 64 bit.
>
> You can get around doing a reinstall and not going through the hassle
> of doing a 32-bit chroot by just installing ia32-libs for 32bit and
> then installing the 32-bit programs you can't get in 64 bit (acroread,
> flash, etc.)
>
> Switching to 32-bit would require a reinstall, unless you want to do
> something like run the 32 bit version alongside the 64-bit one in
> virtualbox or something

How do you tell which version you are currently running?

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 07-19-2008, 09:05 PM
"David Fox"

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Pastor JW
<pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org> wrote:

> How do you tell which version you are currently running?

cat /etc/lsb-release says I'm running Hardy 8.04.1. cat
/etc/debian-version says I'm running lenny/sid, but that's OK given
ubuntu is a debian derivative.

It doesn't tell what architecture I am running from either of those files.

uname -a says I'm running a 64 bit kernel, but then again, I could be
running a 32 bit userland, which I'm not, of course.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:27 AM
Brian Astill

On Sunday 20 July 2008 06:35:51 David Fox wrote:
> > How do you tell which version you are currently running?
Simplest answer - give each installation a different name.
If I see this at the terminal:
brian@brian-desktop:~$ I know I am in 32 bit mode
On the other hand, if I see this:
brian@brian-amd64:~$ I am using my 64 bit version

If you do install both 32 and 64 bit versions - as I have - it is
helpful to have a separate partition for /home which both
versions access.
This is what my drive looks like:
Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 32.3kB 15.7GB 15.7GB primary ext2 boot
2 15.7GB 48.6GB 32.9GB extended lba
5 15.7GB 17.8GB 2097MB logical linux-swap
6 17.8GB 48.6GB 30.8GB logical ext3
3 48.6GB 80.0GB 31.4GB primary ext3
Partition 6 is /home for the versions on the primary partitions 1
and 3.

Frankly, if you have an AMD64 you probably don't need to worry
about installing a separate 32bit installation, because the AMD64
chip runs 32-bit natively - but there is always the exception. A
little while ago Opera did not have a 64-bit version and the
32-bit version would not install on a 64-bit system. Opera now
has a 64-bit version, so that isn't an issue today.

HTH

--
Brian

Old 07-20-2008, 02:42 AM
Paul Hartman

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 10:49:16AM -0500, Leonard Bussey wrote:
> Hello
> I'm somewhat new to Ubuntu. I installed the 64 bit version on my Compaq
> laptop. Is there an easy way to change it the 32 bit version or should
> I do a re-install? Thank you for your assistance.

Hey;
To My knowlage the simplelst way would bo to reinstall. Remember to back up you data, and If you don't already have it set up
that way you may wish to consider making a seperate /home partion. It makes things a little bit easier when upgrade time comes
around.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:40 AM
Leonard Bussey

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 11:57 +0930, Brian Astill wrote:
> On Sunday 20 July 2008 06:35:51 David Fox wrote:
> > > How do you tell which version you are currently running?
> Simplest answer - give each installation a different name.
> If I see this at the terminal:
> brian@brian-desktop:~$ I know I am in 32 bit mode
> On the other hand, if I see this:
> brian@brian-amd64:~$ I am using my 64 bit version
>
> If you do install both 32 and 64 bit versions - as I have - it is
> helpful to have a separate partition for /home which both
> versions access.
> This is what my drive looks like:
> Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
> 1 32.3kB 15.7GB 15.7GB primary ext2 boot
> 2 15.7GB 48.6GB 32.9GB extended lba
> 5 15.7GB 17.8GB 2097MB logical linux-swap
> 6 17.8GB 48.6GB 30.8GB logical ext3
> 3 48.6GB 80.0GB 31.4GB primary ext3
> Partition 6 is /home for the versions on the primary partitions 1
> and 3.
>
> Frankly, if you have an AMD64 you probably don't need to worry
> about installing a separate 32bit installation, because the AMD64
> chip runs 32-bit natively - but there is always the exception. A
> little while ago Opera did not have a 64-bit version and the
> 32-bit version would not install on a 64-bit system. Opera now
> has a 64-bit version, so that isn't an issue today.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Brian

I have an AMD64 and was happy with the 64 bit version, but I could not use Adobe Flash with Firefox.
I now use the 32 bit version. Everything seems to work just fine and I
do not see much of a performance difference.