-   -   Bizarre problems in Hardy - system broke fsck this AM, no nvidia anymore (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/127583-bizarre-problems-hardy-system-broke-fsck-am-no-nvidia-anymore.html)

"Mumia W." 07-19-2008 06:49 AM

David Fox wrote:
> Guys
>
> I need some help. After several weeks - more like at least 6 weeks I
> have begun to see some serious stability problems with ubuntu Hardy
> [ edited out: possible file corruption / fsck ]
> But I'd rather not do that, is there a way to basically reinstall any
> missing pieces via aptitude, basically replacing any packages that
> might be installed officially according to dpkg, but have been
> obliterated in the fsck?

The program debsums can help you find out what installed packages have
changed or corrupted files.

> All help appreciated. Don't want to stay in gnome too much longer. :(

If you're into compiz-fusion, you're definitely not looking for a
minimalistic window manager like blackbox or sawfish ;-) , but I mention
them because they are useful for helping people get into X in emergencies.

Karl Larsen 07-20-2008 12:54 AM

David Fox wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:43 PM, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Looks like nvidia is still a no go. I have kde 4.1 running but only
>> with the nv driver, and I can't get any opengl programs to work -
>>

> Back using the nvidia driver. However, I had a whole boatload of
> problems trying to get the nvidia driver 169.12 reinstalled
> (nvidia-new-kernel-source, nvidia-glx, nvidia-common) so I gave up and
> ran the shell script to install 173.xx from nvidia's site.
>
> Oh well, it's working now (in Gnome) even with compiz.
>
> :)
>
> On the other hand, the nvidia kernel does not autoload on boot, and so
> the first try to get into X fails, using the nvidia driver. I have to
> drill down to where nvidia.ko lies, manually do an insmod nvidia.ko as
> root, and then startx, which gets me in gnome, not kde4.1 since my
> default display manager isn't running at the moment.
>
> As long as I don't reboot, or don't have to :) then this should be OK
> for now. :)
>
> I'm still working on the debsums audit. I managed to get most
> everything I thought should be reinstalled (I also ran across another
> post on the ML saying you could use aptitude to reinstall everything
> without having to reinstall, but I thought I didn't have enough disk
> space in my 10 gig root partition (1 gig or so full) to try that just
> yet. So I've spent the better part of a day trying to get this fixed.
> I might have been better off reinstalling the system, but what the
> hell, that probably would have taken longer.
>
> So far I can post what's left to fix debsums-wise as an attachment as
> well as an strace when I couldn't modprobe nvidia.
>

>> there is no GLX or other stuff here.

Well I have a nVidia computer and Hardy has been perfect about
keeping me supplied with the high performance nVidia kernel drivers. I
am very happy with what I have.

Your problems sound like they might be hardware problems.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User