Old 07-19-2008, 06:54 AM
"Michael R. Head"

Default Problems with totem (both -xine and -gstreamer) with pulseaudio (frame drops/popping audio)

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this problem. I've seen it for a
while now and had hoped it would silently disappear.

I have a (large) number of xvid videos that I watch on a few machine
running 8.04LTS with all the latest updates. When watching these videos
with totem, using either -gstreamer or -xine, using pulseaudio for
playback, I experience period frame drops (with totem-gstreamer) or
audible pops (with totem-xine).

It's almost as if the video stream and audio stream are slightly off and
totem occasionally fixes this by either dropping a video frame or
stopping the audio momentarily.

I can workaround this problem a couple of ways:
1) use mplayer (with pulseaudio). This works perfectly, but I dislike
mplayer's interface
2) killall pulseaudio, let alsa directly control the audio hardware,
configure gstreamer to directly use alsa, and play the files with
totem-gstreamer.

Either way, no glitch. When I turn pulseaudio back on, switch gstreamer
to use the pulseaudio backend, and play the files again, I lose frames
again.

I like pulseaudio and would prefer to keep it running, but this is
really annoying. I haven't found any bug reports matching this, which is
surprising to me because this bug affects me on a daily basis on
multiple machines.

--
Michael R. Head <burner@suppressingfire.org>
http://www.cs.binghamton.edu/~mike/

Old 07-19-2008, 05:43 PM
sktsee

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 02:54:15 -0400, Michael R. Head wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this problem. I've seen it for a
> while now and had hoped it would silently disappear.
>

> I have a (large) number of xvid videos that I watch on a few machine
> running 8.04LTS with all the latest updates. When watching these videos
> with totem, using either -gstreamer or -xine, using pulseaudio for
> playback, I experience period frame drops (with totem-gstreamer) or
> audible pops (with totem-xine).
>
> It's almost as if the video stream and audio stream are slightly off and
> totem occasionally fixes this by either dropping a video frame or
> stopping the audio momentarily.
>
> I can workaround this problem a couple of ways: 1) use mplayer (with
> pulseaudio). This works perfectly, but I dislike mplayer's interface
> 2) killall pulseaudio, let alsa directly control the audio hardware,
> configure gstreamer to directly use alsa, and play the files with
> totem-gstreamer.
>
> Either way, no glitch. When I turn pulseaudio back on, switch gstreamer
> to use the pulseaudio backend, and play the files again, I lose frames
> again.
>
> I like pulseaudio and would prefer to keep it running, but this is
> really annoying. I haven't found any bug reports matching this, which is
> surprising to me because this bug affects me on a daily basis on
> multiple machines.

Here's a couple:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/190754

sktsee