Old 07-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Keith Clark

Default Hard Drive errors

I seem to be having an issue that has started showing symptoms in
Evolution. Starting this morning, Evolution shows no incoming emails.
It says it is downloading them via a pop server and no errors show up,
just no emails either. I can access that email account with a web based
email client and I am getting new emails. They are even marked as read,
so I'm sure that Evolution is downloading them properly.

Also, when I tried to reboot, it took forever and the only way to
actually get it to boot, was to press esc. I think it might be doing a
hard drive scan, but I cannot tell. My monitor just goes blank at
startup.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Is the a way to check my hard drive
from the command line?

Keith

Old 11-23-2009, 11:52 PM
lostson

Hello

I seem to be getting some messages via email and in var/log/messages as
well, i think its a hard drive gone bad but was wondering if anyone has
seen something similar to this or would have some ideas if its fixable
or not, here are the messages

This email was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

host name: localhost.localdomain
DNS domain: localdomain
NIS domain: (none)

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/hda, 993 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

For details see host's SYSLOG (default: /var/log/messages).

Nov 23 18:20:22 localhost kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51
{ DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Nov 23 18:20:22 localhost kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84
{ DriveStatusError BadCRC }
Nov 23 18:20:22 localhost kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
Nov 23 18:20:22 localhost kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51
{ DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Nov 23 18:20:22 localhost kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84
{ DriveStatusError BadCRC }
Nov 23 18:20:22 localhost kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
Nov 23 18:20:22 localhost kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51
{ DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Nov 23 18:20:22 localhost kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84
{ DriveStatusError BadCRC }
Nov 23 18:20:22 localhost kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown

thanks for any ideas.

LostSon

Old 11-24-2009, 12:17 AM
"nate"

lostson wrote:
> Hello
>
> I seem to be getting some messages via email and in var/log/messages as
> well, i think its a hard drive gone bad but was wondering if anyone has
> seen something similar to this or would have some ideas if its fixable
> or not, here are the messages

Run manufacturer diagnostics and replace the disk

nate

Old 11-24-2009, 08:16 AM
ken

On 11/23/2009 07:52 PM lostson wrote:
> Hello
>
> I seem to be getting some messages via email and in var/log/messages as
> well, i think its a hard drive gone bad but was wondering if anyone has
> seen something similar to this or would have some ideas if its fixable
> or not, here are the messages

> The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:
>
> Device: /dev/hda, 993 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

I get this kind of warning also, though the number of unreadable sectors
I get is in the single digits. All disks have some unreadable sectors.
It's just a product of the manufacturing process. A low-level format
discovers these and marks and maps them so that they aren't used... so
not a big deal. (You are, after all, getting the message about them,
right?) So having unusable sectors isn't in itself a problem. You've
got a lot of them, but then perhaps your drive and the part of it you're
using is much larger than mine. If this 993 sectors is a considerable
percentage of your disk, then you'd have cause to ask for a refund or
exchange on the purchase, but still no real cause for alarm. However,
if that number of sectors increases over time, then you have a sign of a
failing drive and obviously would want to replace it ASAP.

hth,
ken

Old 11-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Paul Heinlein

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, lostson wrote:

> Hello
>
> I seem to be getting some messages via email and in var/log/messages as
> well, i think its a hard drive gone bad but was wondering if anyone has
> seen something similar to this or would have some ideas if its fixable
> or not, here are the messages
>
> This email was generated by the smartd daemon running on:
>
> host name: localhost.localdomain
> DNS domain: localdomain
> NIS domain: (none)
>
> The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:
>
> Device: /dev/hda, 993 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

In my experience, 993 unreadable sectors is a high number. That's not
good. I'd definitely suggest replacing the disk.

If you're in the mood to do some tinkering, you might try following
the (somewhat complex) procedures on the bad block HOWTO:

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/badblockhowto.html

Old 11-24-2009, 02:45 PM

Paul wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, lostson wrote:
>>
>> I seem to be getting some messages via email and in var/log/messages as
>> well, i think its a hard drive gone bad but was wondering if anyone has
>> seen something similar to this or would have some ideas if its fixable
>> or not, here are the messages
>>
>> This email was generated by the smartd daemon running on:
>>
>> host name: localhost.localdomain
>> DNS domain: localdomain
>> NIS domain: (none)
>>
>> The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:
>>
>> Device: /dev/hda, 993 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
>
> In my experience, 993 unreadable sectors is a high number. That's not
> good. I'd definitely suggest replacing the disk.
<snip>
At work, I've got one with 70 or so, and am worried. 993? I'd be buying a
new drive *now*. There's no way you should have that many; if it was new,
I'd have taken it back, and demanded a replacement for a defective drive.

mark

Old 11-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 4:16 AM, ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:

> I get this kind of warning also, though the number of unreadable sectors
> I get is in the single digits. *All disks have some unreadable sectors.
> *It's just a product of the manufacturing process.

Interesting...I only get these when my drive is about to fail. In some
cases it took a week before the drive failed to the point that the
system was pausing, but most often failure occurred within a day or
two. It's a reliable enough indicator that I have my monitoring script
look specifically for these types of drive errors to make sure that I
don't miss any.

> A low-level format
> discovers these and marks and maps them so that they aren't used... so
> not a big deal. *(You are, after all, getting the message about them,
> right?) *So having unusable sectors isn't in itself a problem. *You've
> got a lot of them, but then perhaps your drive and the part of it you're
> using is much larger than mine. *If this 993 sectors is a considerable
> percentage of your disk, then you'd have cause to ask for a refund or
> exchange on the purchase, but still no real cause for alarm. *However,
> if that number of sectors increases over time, then you have a sign of a
> failing drive and obviously would want to replace it ASAP.

My understanding (which may be wrong) is that the drive electronics
automatically remapped the failing sectors. The point at which the OS
knows about it means that the drive is already out of reserve sectors.
Not sure if this is still the case.