FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-17-2008, 04:59 PM
 
Default Is it a bug?

Hello,
I deleted two big files (about 2.5GB each) with restricted permission. Now I
cannot empty the trash: it says permission denied. I cannot change the
permission 'cause it says "cannot change permission on background"... I tried
many different ways: put them back to Desktop, change permission and delet...
It not works: the situation is the same.
If someone can help me I'll be very gratefull.

Carlos



----------------------------------------------------------------
This message was sent using IFUSP Webmail - USP/Sao Paulo/Brazil.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-19-2008, 07:10 AM
"Mumia W."
 
Default Is it a bug?

carmac@dfn.if.usp.br wrote:
> Hello,
> I deleted two big files (about 2.5GB each) with restricted permission. Now I
> cannot empty the trash: it says permission denied. I cannot change the
> permission 'cause it says "cannot change permission on background"... I tried
> many different ways: put them back to Desktop, change permission and delet...
> It not works: the situation is the same.
> If someone can help me I'll be very gratefull.
>
> Carlos

If you own the files, you should be able to change the permissions on
them so that you can delete them properly, but you might need to
logout/login first.

If it were me, I would not open any nautilus windows at all and delete
the files using an X terminal, but that's me.




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-19-2008, 08:10 PM
NoOp
 
Default Is it a bug?

On 07/17/2008 09:59 AM, carmac@dfn.if.usp.br wrote:
> Hello,
> I deleted two big files (about 2.5GB each) with restricted permission. Now I
> cannot empty the trash: it says permission denied. I cannot change the
> permission 'cause it says "cannot change permission on background"... I tried
> many different ways: put them back to Desktop, change permission and delet...
> It not works: the situation is the same.
> If someone can help me I'll be very gratefull.
>

Alt-F2|gksu nautilus
[that will get you into a root-type version of Nautilus]

Then go to: /home/<user>/.Trash
and you should be able to delete the file(s) or modify the permissions.
Note: in Nautilus you will need to turn on the delete option first:
Edit|Preferences|Behaviour|Trash|Include a Delete...

You can also delete the file from the command line:

cd /home/<user>/.Trash
sudo rm <filename>



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-20-2008, 05:19 AM
Rakotomandimby Mihamina
 
Default Is it a bug?

NoOp wrote:
> Then go to: /home/<user>/.Trash

That theory (the ".Trash" location to purge) might be different for a
tree with many partitions mounted on anything from everywhere.

--
Huile Essentielle de Camphre http://www.huile-camphre.fr
Infogerance http://www.infogerance.us
(Serveurs, Postes de travail, Développement logiciel)

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-20-2008, 05:38 AM
Mario Vukelic
 
Default Is it a bug?

On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 13:10 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>
> Then go to: /home/<user>/.Trash

This doesn't seem to exist for me anymore since the switch to gvfs in
8.04. I have the trash now in /home/<user>/.local/share/Trash/
Not sure whether I am the only one.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Peter Garrett
 
Default Is it a bug?

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 07:38:38 +0200
Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 13:10 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> >
> > Then go to: /home/<user>/.Trash
>
> This doesn't seem to exist for me anymore since the switch to gvfs in
> 8.04. I have the trash now in /home/<user>/.local/share/Trash/
> Not sure whether I am the only one.

$ ls ~/.local/share/Trash/
files info

The directory is only created on first using "Trash" , apparently.
Since I always use "rm" or the "Delete" option. it didn't exist here
until a minute ago, when I deliberately sent something to the "Trash".

(Hardy - evidently this has changed)
--
Peter Garrett <peter.garrett@optusnet.com.au>
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-20-2008, 04:33 PM
NoOp
 
Default Is it a bug?

On 07/20/2008 12:20 AM, Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 07:38:38 +0200
> Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 13:10 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>> >
>> > Then go to: /home/<user>/.Trash
>>
>> This doesn't seem to exist for me anymore since the switch to gvfs in
>> 8.04. I have the trash now in /home/<user>/.local/share/Trash/
>> Not sure whether I am the only one.
>
> $ ls ~/.local/share/Trash/
> files info
>
> The directory is only created on first using "Trash" , apparently.
> Since I always use "rm" or the "Delete" option. it didn't exist here
> until a minute ago, when I deliberately sent something to the "Trash".
>
> (Hardy - evidently this has changed)
>

Apparently so. I was using Gutsy when I posted that. Now I see the
/home/<user>/.local/share/Trash/ entry on Hardy. Interestingly, the way
that found the entry in Gutsy was by going to trash via Nautilus, then
doing a 'locate <filename>' and it found it. In Hardy, locate doesn't
find the file in the trash (/home/<user>/.local/share/Trash/) folder, it
instead finds where it was. For example, I moved the following file to
trash: Protractor1GG2Example.pdf from /home/gg-laptop/tempdir/
On Hardy, if I do a locate, it finds:

~$ locate Protractor1GG2Example.pdf
/home/gg-laptop/tempdir/Protractor1GG2Example.pdf

But if I do:
$ ls /home/gg-laptop/.local/share/Trash/files
Protractor1GG2Example.pdf
the file is there.

Another interesting thing; if I search for the file via Tracker or
Nautilus, the file is not found. However, if I search for the file using
Places|Search the file is found.

Seems to be pretty buggy overall. Note: I just use delete rather than
move to trash most of the time, so this is the first time that I've
messed with it in Hardy.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/baobab/+bug/209338
[ [Hardy] Move To Trash broken with new gnome-vfs]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libtrash/+bug/208277
[ trash can does not empty]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/baobab


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-20-2008, 06:35 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"
 
Default Is it a bug?

"Marcin ‘Qrczak’ Kowalczyk" <qrczak@knm.org.pl> said:
> This is because the locate database is updated daily. Wait until the
> next day and it will be found in its current place.

Or you can update it now with the command:
<sudo updatedb>

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
"The Barsoom Project"

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-20-2008, 07:18 PM
NoOp
 
Default Is it a bug?

On 07/20/2008 10:28 AM, Marcin ‘Qrczak’ Kowalczyk wrote:
> 2008/7/20 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:
>
>> In Hardy, locate doesn't
>> find the file in the trash (/home/<user>/.local/share/Trash/) folder, it
>> instead finds where it was.
>
> This is because the locate database is updated daily. Wait until the
> next day and it will be found in its current place.

Interesting, thanks I wasn't aware of that. Odd - having to wait for a
day to find a file. Using 'sudo updatedb' as Cybe R. Wizard suggests
fixes that problem.

>
>> Another interesting thing; if I search for the file via Tracker or
>> Nautilus, the file is not found.
>
> This is because Tracker and Nautilus skip hidden files and directories
> (those with the name beginning with a dot).
>
> Tracker uses a database like locate (which indexes file contents too,
> not just filenames), but it tracks filesystem changes in realtime.
>
>> However, if I search for the file using
>> Places|Search the file is found.
>
> This is strange, because it does skip hidden directories for me.
>

You have to add the search for hidden files feature:

>Select more options|Available options:Show hiden and backup files.


[snip added good info]

Thanks for the info!



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:48 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org