-   -   Bizarre problems in Hardy - system broke fsck this AM, no nvidia anymore (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/127494-bizarre-problems-hardy-system-broke-fsck-am-no-nvidia-anymore.html)

"David Fox" 07-19-2008 02:29 AM

Bizarre problems in Hardy - system broke fsck this AM, no nvidia anymore

Guys

I need some help. After several weeks - more like at least 6 weeks I
have begun to see some serious stability problems with ubuntu Hardy on
my 64 bit (ECS motherboard, AMD64) dydyrm. I normally am running
kde4.1 with compiz fusion installed and with the nvidia-glx-new driver
I haven't really experienced too many problems, but this morning I had
to reboot the system because it got in an inconsistent state. When I
booted up, it landed me in fsck, made me redo fsck manually, and when
I rebooted again, I had to change the partition to rewrite instead of
read only.

Then I couldn't get X to start at all. It claims the nvidia driver is
not found. So I am switiching temporarily to nv, and although I am
running in a higher-resolution, my system won't or can't do any GL
stuff anymore.

At this point I am seriously considering doing a reinstall of HH or
maybe switching back to debian.

But I'd rather not do that, is there a way to basically reinstall any
missing pieces via aptitude, basically replacing any packages that
might be installed officially according to dpkg, but have been
obliterated in the fsck?

All help appreciated. Don't want to stay in gnome too much longer. :(

"David Fox" 07-19-2008 05:27 PM

Bizarre problems in Hardy - system broke fsck this AM, no nvidia anymore

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 11:49 PM, Mumia W.

> The program debsums can help you find out what installed packages have
> changed or corrupted files.

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately there are a lot of packages that
are missing md5sums, and there are missing files. I think one of the
problem files was /usr/share/debhelper, so I reinstalled that package
and got some of the files back, but not all of them.

I guess I should aptitude reinstall anything that doesn't have md5sums
to be safe.

debsums: no md5sums for at
debsums: no md5sums for base-files
debsums: no md5sums for binutils
debsums: no md5sums for binutils-static
debsums: no md5sums for bogofilter
debsums: no md5sums for bzip2
debsums: can't open cups-pdf file /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf
(Permission denied)
debsums: can't open cupsys file /usr/lib/cups/backend-available/ipp
(Permission denied)
debsums: can't open cupsys file /usr/lib/cups/backend-available/lpd
(Permission denied)
debsums: can't open defoma file
/usr/share/debhelper/autoscripts/postinst-defoma (No such file or
directory)
debsums: can't open defoma file
/usr/share/debhelper/autoscripts/postinst-defoma-hints (No such file
or directory)
debsums: can't open defoma file
/usr/share/debhelper/autoscripts/postrm-defoma (No such file or
directory)
debsums: can't open defoma file
/usr/share/debhelper/autoscripts/prerm-defoma (No such file or
directory)
debsums: can't open defoma file
/usr/share/debhelper/autoscripts/prerm-defoma-hints (No such file or
directory)
debsums: can't open defoma file
/usr/share/debhelper/autoscripts/prerm-defoma2 (No such file or
directory)
debsums: no md5sums for dosfstools
debsums: no md5sums for ed
debsums: no md5sums for g++
debsums: no md5sums for gawk
debsums: no md5sums for gnupg
debsums: no md5sums for gpgv
debsums: can't open ia32-libs file
/usr/lib32/nvidia/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa (No such file or directory)
debsums: no md5sums for initscripts
debsums: no md5sums for java-gcj-compat
debsums: no md5sums for klogd
debsums: no md5sums for lib32ncurses5
debsums: no md5sums for libaudio-dev
debsums: no md5sums for libaudio2

There are more files that it says can't open on

debsums: can't open tex-common file
/usr/share/debhelper/autoscripts/postrm-tex (No such file or
directory)
debsums: can't open tex-common file
/usr/share/debhelper/autoscripts/postinst-tex (No such file or
directory)
debsums: can't open tex-common file
/usr/share/debhelper/autoscripts/postrm-texlsr (No such file or
directory)
debsums: can't open tex-common file
/usr/share/debhelper/autoscripts/postinst-texlsr (No such file or
directory)

ebsums: can't open xml-core file
/usr/share/debhelper/autoscripts/postinst-xmlcatalog (No such file or
directory)
debsums: can't open xml-core file
/usr/share/debhelper/autoscripts/postrm-xmlcatalog (No such file or
directory)
debsums: can't open xml-core file
/usr/share/debhelper/autoscripts/prerm-xmlcatalog (No such file or
directory)
debsums: no md5sums for xorg
debsums: no md5sums for xserver-xorg
debsums: can't open xserver-xorg-core file
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so (No such file or
directory)
debsums: can't open xserver-xorg-core file
/usr/lib/nvidia/libglx.so.xserver-xorg-core (No such file or
directory)

That last bit might be due to the broken nvidia x-server.

I tried to reinstall by doing a purge on nvidia-glx-new, followed by a
reinstall on nvdia-kernel-source, module-assistant auto-install
nvidia-kernel-source and finally an aptitude install nvidia-glx-new.

I've also attempted to install the nvidia-173 file from nvidia's
website. Still no go, as I have no GLX anymore and can only use the nv
driver. The nvidia driver fails to load. Unless I go into xorg.conf
and comment out nvidia for nv, the best I can hope for is either "no
screens found" or some pathetic low resolution (like lower than
800x600).

These are the ones that failed:

/usr/lib/libkopete.so.1.0.0 FAILED
/usr/lib/libarts_mpeglib-0.3.0.so.0.0.3 FAILED
/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/modules.pcimap FAILED
/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/modules.dep FAILED
/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/modules.ieee1394map FAILED
/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/modules.usbmap FAILED
/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/modules.isapnpmap FAILED
/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/modules.inputmap FAILED
/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/modules.seriomap FAILED
/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/modules.alias FAILED
/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/modules.symbols FAILED
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/modules.pcimap FAILED
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/modules.dep FAILED
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/modules.ieee1394map FAILED
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/modules.usbmap FAILED
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/modules.isapnpmap FAILED
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/modules.inputmap FAILED
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/modules.seriomap FAILED
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/modules.alias FAILED
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/modules.symbols FAILED
/usr/include/GL/gl.h FAILED
/usr/include/GL/glext.h FAILED
/usr/include/GL/glx.h FAILED
/usr/include/GL/glxext.h FAILED
/usr/bin/noatuntippecanoe.bin FAILED
/usr/bin/nvidia-bug-report.sh FAILED
/usr/bin/nvidia-xconfig FAILED
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so FAILED
/usr/share/man/man1/nvidia-xconfig.1.gz FAILED
/usr/bin/nvidia-settings FAILED
/usr/share/applications/nvidia-settings.desktop FAILED
/usr/share/man/man1/nvidia-settings.1.gz FAILED

nvidia stuff may have failed because I installed the binary package, right?

"David Fox" 07-19-2008 07:43 PM

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 10:27 AM, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess I should aptitude reinstall anything that doesn't have md5sums
> to be safe.

Later - I managed to get all those files reinstalled and going through
another md5sums audit just to be safe.

Looks like nvidia is still a no go. I have kde 4.1 running but only
with the nv driver, and I can't get any opengl programs to work -
there is no GLX or other stuff here.

"David Fox" 07-20-2008 12:29 AM

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:43 PM, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like nvidia is still a no go. I have kde 4.1 running but only
> with the nv driver, and I can't get any opengl programs to work -

Back using the nvidia driver. However, I had a whole boatload of
problems trying to get the nvidia driver 169.12 reinstalled
(nvidia-new-kernel-source, nvidia-glx, nvidia-common) so I gave up and
ran the shell script to install 173.xx from nvidia's site.

Oh well, it's working now (in Gnome) even with compiz.

:)

On the other hand, the nvidia kernel does not autoload on boot, and so
the first try to get into X fails, using the nvidia driver. I have to
drill down to where nvidia.ko lies, manually do an insmod nvidia.ko as
root, and then startx, which gets me in gnome, not kde4.1 since my
default display manager isn't running at the moment.

As long as I don't reboot, or don't have to :) then this should be OK
for now. :)

I'm still working on the debsums audit. I managed to get most
everything I thought should be reinstalled (I also ran across another
post on the ML saying you could use aptitude to reinstall everything
without having to reinstall, but I thought I didn't have enough disk
space in my 10 gig root partition (1 gig or so full) to try that just
yet. So I've spent the better part of a day trying to get this fixed.
I might have been better off reinstalling the system, but what the
hell, that probably would have taken longer.

So far I can post what's left to fix debsums-wise as an attachment as
well as an strace when I couldn't modprobe nvidia.