-   -   Playback of MIDI files (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/127449-playback-midi-files.html)

"Christian" 07-18-2008 11:22 PM

Playback of MIDI files

Hi all,
What do you use for playback of MIDI files?
Any good sound fonts or program you would recommend?
Many thanks,
Christian

Frans 07-19-2008 03:57 PM

Playback of MIDI files

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 01:22:52 +0200, Christian wrote:

> Hi all,
> What do you use for playback of MIDI files? Any good sound fonts or
> program you would recommend? Many thanks,
> Christian

Timidity is a command line midi player. It uses the freepats sound font.
Both are in the Ubuntu repositories.

http://phorum.sf2midi.com/index.php/topic,65.0.html is another sound font.

Good luck!

-Frans

Christian 07-19-2008 04:37 PM

Playback of MIDI files

lr 2008-07-19 klockan 15:57 +0000 skrev Frans:
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 01:22:52 +0200, Christian wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > What do you use for playback of MIDI files? Any good sound fonts or
> > program you would recommend? Many thanks,
> > Christian
>
> Timidity is a command line midi player. It uses the freepats sound font.
> Both are in the Ubuntu repositories.
>
> http://phorum.sf2midi.com/index.php/topic,65.0.html is another sound font.
>
> Good luck!
>
> -Frans
> Many thanks for that info.
Since I am having problems with Alsa, Timidity doesn't support
Pulseaudio?
Many thanks,
Christian

Frans 07-19-2008 05:28 PM

Playback of MIDI files

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:37:46 +0200, Christian wrote:

> lr 2008-07-19 klockan 15:57 +0000 skrev Frans:
>> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 01:22:52 +0200, Christian wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> > What do you use for playback of MIDI files? Any good sound fonts or
>> > program you would recommend? Many thanks, Christian
>>
>> Timidity is a command line midi player. It uses the freepats sound
>> font. Both are in the Ubuntu repositories.
>>
>> http://phorum.sf2midi.com/index.php/topic,65.0.html is another sound
>> font.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> -Frans

> Many thanks for that info.
> Since I am having problems with Alsa, Timidity doesn't support
> Pulseaudio?

For me it just worked with a standard Ubuntu install. What is the problem?

http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup may help.

Good luck!

-Frans

"Christian" 07-19-2008 06:56 PM

Playback of MIDI files

On 2008-07-19 at 17:28 Frans wrote:

>This encoded message has been converted to an attachment.
>
>On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:37:46 +0200, Christian wrote:

> lör 2008-07-19
>klockan 15:57 +0000 skrev Frans:
>> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 01:22:52 +0200,
>Christian wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> > What do you use for playback of
>MIDI files? Any good sound fonts or
>> > program you would recommend? Many
>thanks, Christian
>>
>> Timidity is a command line midi player. It uses
>the freepats sound
>> font. Both are in the Ubuntu repositories.
>>

>http://phorum.sf2midi.com/index.php/topic,65.0.html is another sound
>>
>font.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> -Frans

> Many thanks for that info.
>
>Since I am having problems with Alsa, Timidity doesn't support
>
>Pulseaudio?

For me it just worked with a standard Ubuntu install. What is
>the problem?

http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup may help.

Good
>luck!

-Frans
I am not able to use applications that only supports Alsa.
Many thanks for that link, will have a look!
Christian
--
ubuntu-users mailing

Lorenzo Taylor 07-20-2008 07:04 AM

Playback of MIDI files

I use timidity with the fluid soundfonts. I had to use equivs to
generate a dummy freepats package, however, since timidity depends on
freepats, which is very much incomplete. My freepats-dummy package
provides, conflicts and replaces freepats and depends on
fluid-soundfont-gm and fluid-soundfont-gs. If interested, I can send you
the package which can be installed via gdebi.

Live long and prosper,
Lorenzo
--
Make a change. Make a difference.
Obama for America: our time has come!

Sven 07-20-2008 12:35 PM

Playback of MIDI files

On 07/19/2008 01:22 AM, Christian wrote:
> Hi all,
> What do you use for playback of MIDI files?

# aptitude install timidity

Timidity is a software midi synthesizer (you don't need to have midi
hardware support on your sound card)

I thought mplayer just plays everything. But not MIDI in software
emulation :-)

== Wikipedia ==
MIDI does not transmit an audio signal or media — it transmits digital
data "event messages" such as the pitch and intensity of musical notes
to play, control signals for parameters such as volume, vibrato and
panning, cues, and clock signals to set the tempo. As an electronic
protocol, it is notable for its widespread adoption throughout the
industry, and for continuing in use since its introduction in 1983.

> Any good sound fonts or program you would recommend?
> Many thanks,
> Christian

regards
Sven