Old 07-18-2008, 11:01 PM

Default File/Hard Drive errors

I seem to be having an issue that has started showing symptoms in
Evolution. Starting this morning, Evolution shows no incoming emails.
It says it is downloading them via a pop server and no errors show up,
just no emails either. I can access that email account with a web based
email client and I am getting new emails. They are even marked as read,
so I'm sure that Evolution is downloading them properly.

Also, when I tried to reboot, it took forever and the only way to
actually get it to boot, was to press esc. I think it might be doing a
hard drive scan, but I cannot tell. My monitor just goes blank at
startup.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Is the a way to check my hard drive
from the command line?

Keith

Old 07-19-2008, 12:41 AM
Karl Larsen

keithclark@k-wbookworm.com wrote:
> I seem to be having an issue that has started showing symptoms in
> Evolution. Starting this morning, Evolution shows no incoming emails.
> It says it is downloading them via a pop server and no errors show up,
> just no emails either. I can access that email account with a web based
> email client and I am getting new emails. They are even marked as read,
> so I'm sure that Evolution is downloading them properly.
>
> Also, when I tried to reboot, it took forever and the only way to
> actually get it to boot, was to press esc. I think it might be doing a
> hard drive scan, but I cannot tell. My monitor just goes blank at
> startup.
>
> I'm not sure where to go from here. Is the a way to check my hard drive
> from the command line?
>
> Keith

It is not clear what happened. Suggest you boot up and watch close
that the hard drive is found and comes up. If you get to a Desktop there
is not much wrong with your hard drive.

Open a terminal and type top and then enter. Does top list a swap
partition that is working?

As for your Evolution problems the best fix is to change to
Thunderbird. It is easy to get Thunderbird from the Ubuntu servers.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-19-2008, 05:07 AM
Nils Kassube

keithclark@k-wbookworm.com wrote:
> I seem to be having an issue that has started showing symptoms in
> Evolution. Starting this morning, Evolution shows no incoming emails.
> It says it is downloading them via a pop server and no errors show up,
> just no emails either. I can access that email account with a web
> based email client and I am getting new emails. They are even marked
> as read, so I'm sure that Evolution is downloading them properly.

Could it be that your disk is full?

> Also, when I tried to reboot, it took forever and the only way to
> actually get it to boot, was to press esc. I think it might be doing a
> hard drive scan, but I cannot tell. My monitor just goes blank at
> startup.

You could remove the "splash" option from the kernel line in the grub
menu.

> I'm not sure where to go from here. Is the a way to check my hard
> drive from the command line?

Yes, but only if it isn't mounted. I think you should boot with a live CD.
Then open a terminal and use the command

sudo fdisk -l

to find out the device name of your disk. The relevant entry looks like
this line

/dev/sda1 * 1 2885 23168321 83 Linux

where it says "83 Linux" at the end of the line. Here the device name
is /dev/sda1. Then the command to check the disk would be

sudo e2fsck -f -C 0 /dev/sda1

The "-C 0" part isn't necessary, but it displays a progress bar so you
know it is working.

Nils