Old 07-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Leif Gregory

Default sdb1???

I had a bunch of disk activity going on with my laptop which stopped
shortly after I started looking around to see what was causing it.

I did a dmesg which contained this:
[28595.603991] Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 786433

That doesn't quite make sense to me. I don't have an sdb1 AFAIK.

└──> sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xedaaedaa

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 894 3326 19543072+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 3327 15514 97900110 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 15515 19289 30322687+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 19290 19457 1349460 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 19290 19457 1349428+ 82 Linux swap /
Solaris

Disk /dev/sdc: 200.0 GB, 200049648128 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24321 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0d31cd31

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdc1 1 24321 195358401 7 HPFS/NTFS

└──> ls /dev/sd*
/dev/sda /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3 /dev/sda4 /dev/sda5 /dev/sdc /dev/sdc1

So what is it referring to do you think? If I could figure that out I
could use smartctl to try and more info.

Thanks.

--
Leif Gregory
Power Wagon Registry: http://powerwagonregistry.org

Old 07-19-2008, 05:09 AM
Nils Kassube

Leif Gregory wrote:
> I had a bunch of disk activity going on with my laptop which stopped
> shortly after I started looking around to see what was causing it.
>
> I did a dmesg which contained this:
> [28595.603991] Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 786433
>
> That doesn't quite make sense to me. I don't have an sdb1 AFAIK.
>
> └──> ls /dev/sd*
> /dev/sda /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3 /dev/sda4 /dev/sda5
> /dev/sdc /dev/sdc1
>
> So what is it referring to do you think? If I could figure that out I
> could use smartctl to try and more info.

You don't have sdb1 now, but once upon a time you had it for whatever
reason. You didn't tell us what device is connected as sdc - it is
probably an external disk connected via USB or firewire.

Now, this is speculation, but it happened to me with a USB stick: The
device which is now sdc was sdb previously. There was a file open on sdb1
when it was unplugged. Then when you plugged it in again, the device name
sdb was still in use due to the open file. Therefore the kernel assigned
it the new device name sdc. And the "Buffer I/O error on device sdb1"
message was logged while the disk was still connected the first time,
i.e. with the device name sdb1.

Nils

Old 07-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Leif Gregory

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 07:09:31 +0200
Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:

> You don't have sdb1 now, but once upon a time you had it for whatever
> reason. You didn't tell us what device is connected as sdc - it is
> probably an external disk connected via USB or firewire.
>
> Now, this is speculation, but it happened to me with a USB stick: The
> device which is now sdc was sdb previously. There was a file open on
> sdb1 when it was unplugged. Then when you plugged it in again, the
> device name sdb was still in use due to the open file. Therefore the
> kernel assigned it the new device name sdc. And the "Buffer I/O error
> on device sdb1" message was logged while the disk was still connected
> the first time, i.e. with the device name sdb1.

The only other drive connected at the time was a 200GB external USB
HDD. It shouldn't have had any files open (at least none I opened and
why I didn't mention it) as it's only purpose in life is as a backup
drive. I kick off the backup script usually on Sunday nights before I
go to bed.

I do usually connect it to the laptop when it's sitting on my desk just
because, but I don't normally do anything with it.

However, yesterday when this happened, I had disconnected the laptop
for a little while to do some stuff elsewhere, then reconnected it
about an hour later.

So I can see where your explanation is plausible. Something on that
drive must have gotten opened somewhere along the line.

Thanks.