Old 07-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Pastor JW

Default dial up modems

On Friday 18 July 2008 11:23:44 am Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:09:33 -0400
>
> Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@comcast.net> wrote:
> > Been doing battle with Comcast I am their only customer at the very end
> > of a line. They won't repair the line problems because one customer does
> > not justify the cost. I am going back to dial up and am wondering what
> > type of dial up modem to get. I believe there is a list of hardware one
> > line someplace . I have Googled for it without any luck. Any help
> > will be appreciated. Doug
>
> My brother uses SupraExpress 56K external modems to transfer data all
> around the world. His company has several remote stations that are
> unmanned. They seem to work quite well, even when temps in the
> enclosure are hitting over 160 degrees F
>
> I don't know how compatible they are with Linux, though.

SupraExpress are fine with every Linux, Amiga OS, and Mac OS I have ever used.
They were my first choice of modem for trouble free use for over 20 years of
running a multi-line BBS on my Amiga 1000; the other one which was a durable
workhorse was Infotel.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 07-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Spruil

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:09:33 -0400, Douglas Pollard wrote:

> Been doing battle with Comcast I am their only customer at the very end
> of a line. They won't repair the line problems because one customer does
> not justify the cost. I am going back to dial up and am wondering what
> type of dial up modem to get. I believe there is a list of hardware one
> line someplace . I have Googled for it without any luck. Any help
> will be appreciated.

I have spoken to the people at Zoom's UK office and they assured me their
usb modem works perfectly with most Linux distros and It costs just under
20. I went with their 30 serial in the end because the same person told
me they tend to be slightly faster.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Spruil

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:49:19 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:

> Don't ask here. Most of us are using high speed Internet.

But surely we all need a back up in emergencies. Maybe you enjoy 100%
adsl uptime in the states, but we're not so lucky here in the UK.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Douglas Pollard

Thanks all, that is the info I was looking for. I live in an area where
many Minonites live ( fine people) but they are still using horses and
buggies. That is fine but it causes the area to be a little behind in
most things modern. If you go in a computer store and mention wanting
something for Linux they look at you like you are from Mars,
Thanks Doug

Old 07-18-2008, 07:37 PM

>Douglas Pollard wrote:

>> Been doing battle with Comcast I am their only customer at the
very end

>> of a line. They won't repair the line problems because one customer
does

>> not justify the cost. *I am going back to dial up and am
wondering what

>> type of dial up modem to get. *I believe there is a list
of hardware one

>> line someplace * . I have Googled for it without any luck.
*Any help

>> will be appreciated. * * * * * *
* * * * * * * Doug

>> *

> * *Don't ask here. Most of us are using high speed Internet.
Figure out

>what software your going to use for dialup, like netzero ect. and ask

>them what to use. They have todays experience.

>Karl

I am looking into setting up a dial
up for my wife's Buddhist temple. *One of the programs that you could
use PPP and it is either already installed or just an apt-get away. *They
are dragging their feet so the only other thing I have for you is that
Comcast's customer service does indeed have room for improvement and you
might want to look into 'Basic ISP'. *They provide the same services
for less in the long run. *They do not officially support Linux and
I do not know how their customer service is but it looks promising. *All
the parameters I talked to them about are in PPP. *Here is a how-to
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO/
* There was some work done on actual modems here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Outofthebox/Modem/Softmodem
*There are a lot links on that page that may help you too.

Good Luck :-)

GrokIt

This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message is prohibited -- please immediately and permanently delete this message.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Peter Garrett

Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> Don't ask here. Most of us are using high speed Internet.

Quite an eye-opener Karl.
I didn't know you were psychic ;-)

--
Peter Garrett <peter.garrett@optusnet.com.au>

Old 07-19-2008, 02:21 AM
squareyes

Douglas Pollard wrote:
> Been doing battle with Comcast I am their only customer at the very end
> of a line. They won't repair the line problems because one customer does
> not justify the cost. I am going back to dial up and am wondering what
> type of dial up modem to get. I believe there is a list of hardware one
> line someplace . I have Googled for it without any luck. Any help
> will be appreciated. Doug

Hi Doug,
I have 2 Netcomm serial modems different models, no problems, they just
work.

Can set up in terminal, type sudo pppconfig
Hope this helps, from one of the many with no other option but to use Dialup

Hope this helps.
Take Care
Winton

Old 07-19-2008, 02:27 AM
squareyes

> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Douglas Pollard wrote:
>>
>>> Been doing battle with Comcast I am their only customer at the very end
>>> of a line. They won't repair the line problems because one customer does
>>> not justify the cost. I am going back to dial up and am wondering what
>>> type of dial up modem to get. I believe there is a list of hardware one
>>> line someplace . I have Googled for it without any luck. Any help
>>> will be appreciated. Doug
>>>

>> Don't ask here. Most of us are using high speed Internet. Figure out
>> what software your going to use for dialup, like netzero ect. and ask
>> them what to use. They have todays experience.
>>
>> Karl

Take very little notice,
I have found the people here on the list to be extremely helpful, and
will (most) point
you in the right direction. There are still many who cannot escape
dialup for the same reason you mentioned above, "just not profitable"
but we have a government here who has promised high speed for all, we
aren't holding our breath. All you need to setup is already part of Ubuntu.
Take Care
Winton

Old 07-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Pastor JW

On Friday 18 July 2008 02:50:58 pm Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:49:19 -0600
>
> Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> > Don't ask here. Most of us are using high speed Internet.
>
> Quite an eye-opener Karl.
> I didn't know you were psychic ;-)

And from the sounds of it, not a very accurate one.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:34 AM
Derek Broughton

Peter Garrett wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:49:19 -0600
> Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
>
>> Don't ask here. Most of us are using high speed Internet.
>
> Quite an eye-opener Karl.
> I didn't know you were psychic ;-)

Well, I think it's a fairly safe bet, but asking your ISP what hardware to
use is pretty pointless. _My_ psychic sense says they'll tell you "we
don't support Linux".
--
derek