Old 07-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Karl Larsen

Default dial up modems

Douglas Pollard wrote:
> Been doing battle with Comcast I am their only customer at the very end
> of a line. They won't repair the line problems because one customer does
> not justify the cost. I am going back to dial up and am wondering what
> type of dial up modem to get. I believe there is a list of hardware one
> line someplace . I have Googled for it without any luck. Any help
> will be appreciated. Doug

Don't ask here. Most of us are using high speed Internet. Figure out
what software your going to use for dialup, like netzero ect. and ask
them what to use. They have todays experience.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Rashkae

Douglas Pollard wrote:
> Been doing battle with Comcast I am their only customer at the very end
> of a line. They won't repair the line problems because one customer does
> not justify the cost. I am going back to dial up and am wondering what
> type of dial up modem to get. I believe there is a list of hardware one
> line someplace . I have Googled for it without any luck. Any help
> will be appreciated. Doug

External serial modems are about your best bet.

US Robotics, ironically the creators of WinModems, now sell a USB modem
that they specifically advertise as Linux compatible... costs 2x as much
as a cheap modem, but still very affordable.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Rashkae

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Douglas Pollard wrote:
>> Been doing battle with Comcast I am their only customer at the very end
>> of a line. They won't repair the line problems because one customer does
>> not justify the cost. I am going back to dial up and am wondering what
>> type of dial up modem to get. I believe there is a list of hardware one
>> line someplace . I have Googled for it without any luck. Any help
>> will be appreciated. Doug
>>

> Don't ask here. Most of us are using high speed Internet. Figure out
> what software your going to use for dialup, like netzero ect. and ask
> them what to use. They have todays experience.
>
> Karl

WTF? Seriously, this has got to stop.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Old 07-18-2008, 06:27 PM
David Curtis

Rashkae wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>> Douglas Pollard wrote:
>>> Been doing battle with Comcast I am their only customer at the very end
>>> of a line. They won't repair the line problems because one customer does
>>> not justify the cost. I am going back to dial up and am wondering what
>>> type of dial up modem to get. I believe there is a list of hardware one
>>> line someplace . I have Googled for it without any luck. Any help
>>> will be appreciated. Doug
>>>

>> Don't ask here. Most of us are using high speed Internet. Figure out
>> what software your going to use for dialup, like netzero ect. and ask
>> them what to use. They have todays experience.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> WTF? Seriously, this has got to stop.

Good luck with that. Karl's as incorrigible as they come.

Doug:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO-1.html

Talks a little bit about what to stay away from (second page).

Dave