Old 07-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Karl Larsen

Default new guy checking in has new problem(s)

Jimmy Montague wrote:
> I did sudo nautilus. I gave it my password. Nautilus opened. So far as I
> can tell, Nautilus won't do anything with permissions. The word
> "Permissions" appears nowhere in Nautilus, so far as I can tell.
>
> Try again?
>
> Jimmy
>
> On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 12:22 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>
>> Jimmy Montague <rhetoric102@iowatelecom.net> said:
>>
>>> Problems include the fact that I have no idea where it mounts, and I
>>> can't write to it. If I try to write to it, a dialog tells me that I
>>> don't have permission and I should contact root to correct the problem
>>> (The poor penguin doesn't know that in this house, "root" is a
>>> dipshit). So the drive is there, but it's useless.
>>>
>>> Advice?
>>>
>> The typical mount point is in /media.
>> Open the drive in Nautilus and check permissions. You may have to sudo
>> into Nautilus in order to change permissions.
>> <sudo nautilus>
>>
>> Cybe R. Wizard
>> --
>> Nice computers don't go down.
>> Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
>> "The Barsoom Project"

I have lost track of what you have running! It sounds like some kind
of Linux is running as root! When you log into your Linux do you login
as root? I login as a user like 99% of others do.

So please give us a lot more info on your system(s).

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 12:54 -0500, Jimmy Montague wrote:
> I already tried right-click. It gave me nothing about preferences. I
> tried it again just now. Same result. When I right-click the 80.0 GB
> Media icon, I get a menu that offers "Open," "Open in New Window,"
> "Remove," "Rename," and "Unmount." "Remove" and "Rename" are greyed out.
> If I unmount and right-click again, my options are the same.

It seems you rightclicked the shortcut to the drive in the Nautilus
sidebar.

However, what you need to do is to navigate to File System (also in the
sidebar), and from there to /media. There you will find the directory in
which the disk is mounted. Now rightclick it, go to Properties at the
bottom, then to the tab Permissions.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:45 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Jimmy Montague <rhetoric102@iowatelecom.net> said:
> I already tried right-click. It gave me nothing about preferences. I
> tried it again just now. Same result. When I right-click the 80.0 GB
> Media icon, I get a menu that offers "Open," "Open in New Window,"
> "Remove," "Rename," and "Unmount." "Remove" and "Rename" are greyed
> out. If I unmount and right-click again, my options are the same.
>
> And yes, Nautilus presents me with a "root file manager" window.

that sounds like the menu on the left pane of the Nautilus window. Try
navigating to the same place under /media and right clicking there.

BTW, a root file manager window? Are you logged in as root or user?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 07-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 14:45 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

> BTW, a root file manager window? Are you logged in as root or user?

You told him that he might need to run Nautilus with superuser
privileges: "You may have to sudo into Nautilus in order to change
permissions. <sudo nautilus>"

When you do that, Nautilus shows "root" in the window title bar since it
starts in the /root directory.

(And BTW, it is generally not recommended to use sudo with GUI
applications, since it can create nasty lockfile issues. gksudo should
be used instead)

Old 07-21-2008, 08:29 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> said:
> You told him that he might need to run Nautilus with superuser
> privileges: "You may have to sudo into Nautilus in order to change
> permissions. <sudo nautilus>"

Ah, I understood the OP to mean that he got the root window without the
sudo. My bad.

> When you do that, Nautilus shows "root" in the window title bar since
> it starts in the /root directory.
>
> (And BTW, it is generally not recommended to use sudo with GUI
> applications, since it can create nasty lockfile issues. gksudo should
> be used instead)

I've never yet used gksudo and haven't yet perceived a problem. What
are the symptoms of the lockfile issues? Is this a recent development?
I was under the impression that a change of path was the only
difference. I must review the gksudo command, it seems.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 07-22-2008, 04:34 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 15:29 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> I've never yet used gksudo and haven't yet perceived a problem. What
> are the symptoms of the lockfile issues? Is this a recent
> development? I was under the impression that a change of path was the
> only difference. I must review the gksudo command, it seems.

There once was a short explanation here, but now it only says "don't do
it": https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

IIRC the issues were (a) the creation of (hidden) config files with root
permissions, when an app had been not run before and (b) some nasty
issue with a lock file being created in /var/somewhere, again with root
permission, that would sometimes lead to X not being able to restart.