Old 07-18-2008, 07:10 AM
"richard.bown@blueyonder.co.uk"

Default remote printing with cups

Hi
I'm trying to use cups for remote printing, both machines are on the
same subnet, the machine used as a cups server
has published the printer and is seen by the other machine.
Using Firestarter port 631 is open for both tcp & udp, but the print
request is beig refused.
Are there any futher security layers in Ubuntu 8.04 that need to be changed.
TIA
Richard

Old 07-19-2008, 12:07 PM
kapil singh

Hello,

Make sure that your setting is looking something like like,

server setting (where printer is installed)

file : /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

<Location />

# Allow remote administration...

Order allow,deny

Allow @LOCAL

Allow 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

Allow from 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

</Location>

Listen 127.0.0.1:631

Listen 192.168.1.8:631

client setting: (from where we have to make print)

file : /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

# Show shared printers on the local network.
BrowsePoll 192.168.1.8:631

replace I.P/subnet setting with your network settings, according to which
class of I.P address you are using.
Replace 192.168.1.8 with your printserver ip address.

Restart the cups service on both server and client computer after doing
that.

$ sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

Reply me if it works or having any problem. well, I am working with this
configuration right now.

Thanks and regards
Kapil singh Kushwah
Linux System Administrator
Hotwax Media Inc

Old 07-19-2008, 08:18 PM
richard

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 05:07:16 -0700 (PDT)
kapil singh <kapil.network@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Make sure that your setting is looking something like like,
>
> server setting (where printer is installed)
>

> file : /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
>

> <Location />
>
> # Allow remote administration...
>
> Order allow,deny
>
> Allow @LOCAL
>
> Allow 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
>
> Allow from 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
>
> </Location>
>

> Listen 127.0.0.1:631
>
> Listen 192.168.1.8:631
>

> client setting: (from where we have to make print)
>

> file : /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
>
> # Show shared printers on the local network.
> BrowsePoll 192.168.1.8:631

> replace I.P/subnet setting with your network settings, according to
> which class of I.P address you are using.
> Replace 192.168.1.8 with your printserver ip address.
>
> Restart the cups service on both server and client computer after
> doing that.
>
> $ sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart
>
> Reply me if it works or having any problem. well, I am working with
> this configuration right now.
>
> Thanks and regards
> Kapil singh Kushwah
> Linux System Administrator
> Hotwax Media Inc
>
> Thanks for the info Kapil

Watching the traffic between the two computers, this one the print
server is

21:14:27.673739 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 64, id 44930, offset 0, flags [DF],
proto TCP (6), length 40) g8jvm.ipp > 192.168.1.66.33616: ., cksum
0xce77 (correct), ack 132050 win 63784

21:14:27.673895 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 64, id 44931, offset 0, flags [DF],
proto TCP (6), length 65) g8jvm.ipp > 192.168.1.66.33616: P, cksum 0x8407
(incorrect (-> 0x9843), > 256780:256805(25) ack 132050 win 63784

My machine is rejecting with incorrect checksums, and it never seems to
get past that stage

thanks
Richard