Old 07-19-2008, 04:30 PM
sktsee

Default Annoying behavious of Nautilus when drag+drop as link

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 13:53:50 +0200, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> 2008/7/19 Peter Garrett <peter.garrett@optusnet.com.au>:
>
>> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 12:42:05 +0200
>> Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
>>
>> > What I did mean was that "scripts (even system scripts) can fail on
>> > filenames with spaces" can not be a justification for such an option.
>>
>> Mario, it was a throw-away comment, not a justification.
>>
>> Let me rephrase it...
>>
>> There's no need to rename the link at all. An ordinary symlink pointing
>> at the file concerned would simply use the file's original name. The
>> user is free to change that name if desired. The icon can have an
>> arrow, or whatever seems appropriate, to show it as a link. The icon
>> could even have the words "Lnk to /path/to/foo" on it. Rox shows the
>> target location on mouseover of a link icon, for example.
>>
>> Nothing to see here, move along folks...
>>
>> --
>> Peter Garrett <peter.garrett@optusnet.com.au>
>>
>> --
>>
>> About Rox: I just installed it, but I couldn't find a way to make it
>> show
> the tree or something similar to the left panel in Nautilus. Did I miss
> something or just isn't there one?

You might check outthe PCMan File Manager project here:
http://pcmanfm.sourceforge.net

It's in the gutsy and hardy repos, but those versions are kind of crusty.
I just snagged and built the latest version from the Debian Sid repo and
its seems quite nice. It's certainly snappier than Nautilus, fairly well
integrated, and handles symlink naming like the old Nautilus did (no
"Link to" naming for a link outside the same directory as the target.)
and has tabbed windows(!).

My overall impression of it is good so far. It's worth a look if the
annoyances of Nautilus are getting to be too distracting.

--
sktsee