Old 07-17-2008, 11:48 PM
"Christian"

Default VirtualBox and Hardy

Hi all,
I have just installed the latest version of VirtualBox on my Ubuntu hardy system.
However, I get no sound. I've set my virtual machine to use Pulseaudio and I have specified the sb16 as the soundcard but still no sound.
Has anyone else experienced the same?
Many thanks,
Christian

Old 07-18-2008, 05:05 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 01:48 +0200, Christian wrote:
> I have just installed the latest version of VirtualBox on my Ubuntu hardy system.
> However, I get no sound. I've set my virtual machine to use Pulseaudio and I have specified the sb16 as the soundcard but still no sound.
> Has anyone else experienced the same?

I have no solution, but at least I can tell you that it works for me,
without me having to do anything special.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:14 PM
"Christian"

Hi,
Many thanks for the info.
That's very strange.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Derek Broughton

Christian wrote:

> Hi,
> Many thanks for the info.
> That's very strange.
>

> On 2008-07-18 at 07:05 Mario Vukelic wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 01:48 +0200, Christian wrote:
>>> I have just installed the latest version of VirtualBox on my Ubuntu
>>hardy system.
>>> However, I get no sound. I've set my virtual machine to use Pulseaudio
>>and I have specified the sb16 as the soundcard but still no sound.
>>> Has anyone else experienced the same?
>>
>>I have no solution, but at least I can tell you that it works for me,
>>without me having to do anything special.

Maybe don't use Pulse? I _think_ I'm using ALSA...
--
derek

Old 07-18-2008, 03:52 PM
"Christian"

Hello there,

On 2008-07-18 at 11:50 Derek Broughton wrote:

>Christian wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Many thanks for the info.
>> That's very strange.

>>>hardy system.
>>>and I have specified the sb16 as the soundcard but still no sound.
>>>
>>>I have no solution, but at least I can tell you that it works for me,
>>>without me having to do anything special.
>
>Maybe don't use Pulse? I _think_ I'm using ALSA...
>--
>derek

I cannot use Alsa. Then I get an error message so I have to use Pulseaudio.
When you installed the latest version of VirtualBox, did you use
apt-get build-dep virtualbox-ose?
Many thanks,
Christian

Old 07-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Derek Broughton

Christian wrote:

> I cannot use Alsa. Then I get an error message so I have to use
> Pulseaudio.

ALSA should still work, so what's the error message?

> When you installed the latest version of VirtualBox, did you
> use apt-get build-dep virtualbox-ose?

No. I don't use the -ose version, but that really shouldn't make a
difference.
--
derek

Old 07-18-2008, 05:28 PM

>On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 01:48 +0200, Christian wrote:

>> I have just installed the latest version of VirtualBox on my Ubuntu

>hardy system.

>> However, I get no sound. I've set my virtual machine to use Pulseaudio

>and I have specified the sb16 as the soundcard but still no sound.

>> Has anyone else experienced the same?

>I have no solution, but at least I can tell you that it works for me,

>without me having to do anything special.

I'm at work and in the ms world right
now so I'm going from memory. *

Have you tried to set the audio driver
to the null audio choice before you start the vbox?

It sounds funny but it worked for me
- mostly. *I have never heard the startup sound but

everything else works OK. *Also
did you get virtualbox from the repositories or did

you download & install from the
website? *If you want a working usb you want to

get it from the website.

GrokIt

This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message is prohibited -- please immediately and permanently delete this message.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 11:50 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Maybe don't use Pulse? I _think_ I'm using ALSA...

I use Pulse, and it works fine (also with Virtualbox).

One thing came to mind that I don't understand: the OP said, "I've set
my virtual machine to use Pulseaudio". I can't check right now, but I
seem to remember that I never saw such an option in the Virtualbox
preferences. Mine simply had a checkbox "Use Sound" or similar.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 17:52 +0200, Christian wrote:
> When you installed the latest version of VirtualBox, did you use
> apt-get build-dep virtualbox-ose?

"aptitude install virtualbox-ose" in my case. What do you do with the
build-dep, did you compile virtualbox yourself? If so, you should have
told us right away

Old 07-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Spruil

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:50:54 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:

> Maybe don't use Pulse?

Yeah I found that. I had to install with either Alsa or Null to get it
working. Pulse messes things up in Hardy.