Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/)
-   -   HOW TO: PPTP Bridging (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/126846-how-pptp-bridging.html)

"Robert Dailey" 07-17-2008 11:44 PM

HOW TO: PPTP Bridging
 
I have my own personal LAN with 2 computers on it. One is my linux
server, which uses Ubuntu Server 8.04. The other is my windows machine
that I use as my personal desktop. There is a 3rd computer on the
internet somewhere that is hosting a Microsoft VPN server that I want
to bridge with my own LAN. What I want to do is have my Ubuntu server
maintain a constant connection to this remote VPN so that I can access
it at any time with no effort from my Windows machine on my LAN. Would
this be possible? I did a bit of google searching, however I didn't
find anything very helpful.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"Brian McKee" 07-22-2008 03:53 AM

HOW TO: PPTP Bridging
 
On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Robert Dailey <rcdailey@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have my own personal LAN with 2 computers on it. One is my linux
> server, which uses Ubuntu Server 8.04. The other is my windows machine
> that I use as my personal desktop. There is a 3rd computer on the
> internet somewhere that is hosting a Microsoft VPN server that I want
> to bridge with my own LAN. What I want to do is have my Ubuntu server
> maintain a constant connection to this remote VPN so that I can access
> it at any time with no effort from my Windows machine on my LAN. Would
> this be possible? I did a bit of google searching, however I didn't
> find anything very helpful.
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

Yes, it's doable.

See http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/routing.phtml#lan-to-lan

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"Robert Dailey" 07-22-2008 01:04 PM

HOW TO: PPTP Bridging
 
On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:53 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Robert Dailey <rcdailey@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have my own personal LAN with 2 computers on it. One is my linux

> server, which uses Ubuntu Server 8.04. The other is my windows machine

> that I use as my personal desktop. There is a 3rd computer on the

> internet somewhere that is hosting a Microsoft VPN server that I want

> to bridge with my own LAN. What I want to do is have my Ubuntu server

> maintain a constant connection to this remote VPN so that I can access

> it at any time with no effort from my Windows machine on my LAN. Would

> this be possible? I did a bit of google searching, however I didn't

> find anything very helpful.>



Yes, it's doable.



See http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/routing.phtml#lan-to-lan
Thanks for your reply.

What am I supposed to do with the code snippets in the green areas in the page you linked me to? Are those scripts?


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"Brian McKee" 07-22-2008 08:33 PM

HOW TO: PPTP Bridging
 
On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Robert Dailey <rcdailey@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:53 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Robert Dailey <rcdailey@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I have my own personal LAN with 2 computers on it. One is my linux
>> > server, which uses Ubuntu Server 8.04. The other is my windows machine
>> > that I use as my personal desktop. There is a 3rd computer on the
>> > internet somewhere that is hosting a Microsoft VPN server that I want
>> > to bridge with my own LAN. What I want to do is have my Ubuntu server
>> > maintain a constant connection to this remote VPN so that I can access
>> > it at any time with no effort from my Windows machine on my LAN. Would
>> > this be possible? I did a bit of google searching, however I didn't
>> > find anything very helpful.
>> >
>>
>> Yes, it's doable.
>>
>> See http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/routing.phtml#lan-to-lan
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> What am I supposed to do with the code snippets in the green areas in the
> page you linked me to? Are those scripts?

The code in the green areas is configuration information for the
iptables firewall.

Hopefully without offending anyone, I'm inclined to think that while
this is doable - perhaps you shouldn't. Setting it up will be
technically challenging, and troubleshooting issues later even more
so.

If someone else here has a more plug-n-pray solution please speak up now :-)

Maybe we can help a different way. Why do you not want to connect the
XP machine directly to the VPN server? PPTP tunnels start very
quickly usually so I'm not sure why you are trying to set up a middle
man. Maybe understanding the issue better will prompt other thoughts.

Brian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"Robert Dailey" 07-22-2008 11:48 PM

HOW TO: PPTP Bridging
 
On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Robert Dailey <rcdailey@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.

>

> What am I supposed to do with the code snippets in the green areas in the

> page you linked me to? Are those scripts?



The code in the green areas is configuration information for the

iptables firewall.



Hopefully without offending anyone, *I'm inclined to think that while

this is doable - perhaps you shouldn't. *Setting it up will be

technically challenging, and troubleshooting issues later even more

so.



If someone else here has a more plug-n-pray solution please speak up now :-)



Maybe we can help a different way. *Why do you not want to connect the

XP machine directly to the VPN server? *PPTP tunnels start very

quickly usually so I'm not sure why you are trying to set up a middle

man. *Maybe understanding the issue better will prompt other thoughts.
Well, partly just to play around with my server & become more familiar with linux, but mainly to resolve another issue that is out of the scope of this topic. Mainly, I'm having an issue on Windows XP where my VPN connection disconnects after about 5 minutes of idle time. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is, so as a work around I wanted to try to establish the VPN connection on my linux server. However, through my investigations I've found that doing so in linux is insanely complicated.


I may just forget about it unless I can find a fairly straight forward alternative. Again, thanks for helping out.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:19 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.