FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Jim Smith
 
Default Mount issue, more thoughts

Jim Smith wrote:
> Robert Spanjaard wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:23:04 -0700, Jim Smith wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>> Can you post a copy of /etc/fstab?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>> Here it is.
>>>
>>> /etc/fstab:
>>>
>>> # /etc/fstab: static file system information. #
>>> # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
>>> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 #
>>> /dev/sda4 -- converted during upgrade to edgy
>>> UUID=c8253db2-ac0b-4664-9e3c-837ce469a95d / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
>>> # /dev/sda3 -- converted during upgrade to edgy
>>> UUID=53682bbd-4fcd-4d8c-81a6-7da4e9dc3ece none swap sw 0 0
>>> UUID=81c37411-73dc-470b-a908-291e03841c94 none swap sw 0 0
>>> /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
>>> /dev/sda2 /media/Jim,s40HD ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
>>>
>>> The device shows uip in the devices list in a file browser, but still
>>> gives the same errors when attempting to mount.
>>>
>>>
>> What do you mean by the "devices list"? If it shows up, doesn't that mean
>> it's already mounted? What happens when you click on it? Can you view the
>> properties of the device?
>>
>>
>>
>>> I plugged it in to my
>>> other Ubuntu box, also running Hardy and it mounted normally. Whatever
>>> the problem is resides on this machine.
>>>
>>>
>> It does. The error is about the mount point. In the first column of
>> your fstab, you can see several devices/partitions which are normally
>> available on your computer. The second column lists the position (mount
>> point) where they will be added to your filesystem. Somehow, your
>> computer tries to add the USB-drive at an illegal position.
>> You could take another look at /etc/mtab after you plugged in the drive,
>> and see if sdb1 is listed there. (Proably not, if the mounting fails.)
>>
>> Another option would be to check if you have a udev.rules file with an
>> illegal rule for the USB hard disk. Check it by typing
>>
>> cat /etc/udev/udev.rules
>>
>> (udev.rules is a bit like fstab, but then for hotswappable devices)
>>
>>
>>
> Result of that is:
> jim@JimsBook:~$ cat /etc/udev/udev.rules
> cat: /etc/udev/udev.rules: No such file or directory
> jim@JimsBook:~$
>
> /etc/udev contains a subdirectory 'rules.d' which contains numerous
> files, many of which I looked at but none of which seem to have my
> device in mind.
> lsusb does show the device on the first line:
> jim@JimsBook:~$ lsusb
> Bus 005 Device 004: ID 0d49:7350 Maxtor
> Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0ac8:c002 Z-Star Microelectronics Corp.
> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 045e:00e1 Microsoft Corp. Wireless Laser Mouse
> 6000 Reciever
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> jim@JimsBook:~$
> Still mystified.
>
> Jim
>
>
>
Just for fun I took the USB drive to a Windows computer and mounted it
then renamed the volume, removing the space in the name. Then replugged
it into this computer running Hardy and still received the mount error
message. Guess I need to know exactly which file the error is in. Should
I think of trying to delete any references to /dev/sdb2? Would that
cause the device to re-initialize on plugging it in?

jim

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Robert Spanjaard
 
Default Mount issue, more thoughts

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:18:56 -0700, Jim Smith wrote:

>> Result of that is:
>> jim@JimsBook:~$ cat /etc/udev/udev.rules cat: /etc/udev/udev.rules: No
>> such file or directory jim@JimsBook:~$
>>
>> /etc/udev contains a subdirectory 'rules.d' which contains numerous
>> files, many of which I looked at but none of which seem to have my
>> device in mind.
>> lsusb does show the device on the first line: jim@JimsBook:~$ lsusb
>> Bus 005 Device 004: ID 0d49:7350 Maxtor Bus 005 Device 002: ID
>> 0ac8:c002 Z-Star Microelectronics Corp. Bus 005 Device 001: ID
>> 0000:0000
>> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 045e:00e1 Microsoft Corp. Wireless Laser Mouse
>> 6000 Reciever
>> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>> jim@JimsBook:~$
>> Still mystified.
>
> Just for fun I took the USB drive to a Windows computer and mounted it
> then renamed the volume, removing the space in the name. Then replugged
> it into this computer running Hardy and still received the mount error
> message. Guess I need to know exactly which file the error is in. Should
> I think of trying to delete any references to /dev/sdb2? Would that
> cause the device to re-initialize on plugging it in?

If you can find the right references, you might as well correct them
instead of deleting them.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Jim Smith
 
Default Mount issue, more thoughts

Robert Spanjaard wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:18:56 -0700, Jim Smith wrote:
>
>
>>> Result of that is:
>>> jim@JimsBook:~$ cat /etc/udev/udev.rules cat: /etc/udev/udev.rules: No
>>> such file or directory jim@JimsBook:~$
>>>
>>> /etc/udev contains a subdirectory 'rules.d' which contains numerous
>>> files, many of which I looked at but none of which seem to have my
>>> device in mind.
>>> lsusb does show the device on the first line: jim@JimsBook:~$ lsusb
>>> Bus 005 Device 004: ID 0d49:7350 Maxtor Bus 005 Device 002: ID
>>> 0ac8:c002 Z-Star Microelectronics Corp. Bus 005 Device 001: ID
>>> 0000:0000
>>> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>>> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>>> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>>> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 045e:00e1 Microsoft Corp. Wireless Laser Mouse
>>> 6000 Reciever
>>> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>>> jim@JimsBook:~$
>>> Still mystified.
>>>
>> Just for fun I took the USB drive to a Windows computer and mounted it
>> then renamed the volume, removing the space in the name. Then replugged
>> it into this computer running Hardy and still received the mount error
>> message. Guess I need to know exactly which file the error is in. Should
>> I think of trying to delete any references to /dev/sdb2? Would that
>> cause the device to re-initialize on plugging it in?
>>
>
> If you can find the right references, you might as well correct them
> instead of deleting them.
>
>
The problem is and has been finding the right references. Where exactly
is a USB disk supposed to mount? What determines that? Other USB devices
mount fine on this machine, so it looks like the problem is in some file
that references this device alone. Is this created upon the first
connection? Is it just this Maxtor drive or all Maxtor OneTouch drives
that this affects?
Too many questions, basically the problem is that it did work on this
machine and now it won't. It still works on my other machines and on
friend's machines. Think I'll just have to step back and forget it for a
while, as it has consumed entirely too much time.

Thanks to all for the attempts to help, you are all much appreciated.

Jim

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:04 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org