Old 07-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Bram Kuijper

Default zipsplit: Entry too big to split, read, or write

Hi all,

I am trying to use the program zipsplit (version 2.32) on a large zip
file (58 Mb) with the following command:

zipsplit -n 100000 my_zipfile.zip

zipsplit says:
Entry too big to split, read, or write

zipsplit however does work on smaller (< 5Mb) files.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug? I find it rather strange
for a program to choke on large files, since splitting very large files
is to my opinion the only thing for which zipsplit might be useful. But
I might be wrong of course...

Anyone experienced the same problem with zipsplit? Or should I file a bug?

thanks,

Bram

Old 07-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Jonathan Hudson

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 21:17:41 +0200
Bram Kuijper <a.l.w.kuijper@rug.nl> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to use the program zipsplit (version 2.32) on a large zip
> file (58 Mb) with the following command:
>
> zipsplit -n 100000 my_zipfile.zip
>
> zipsplit says:
> Entry too big to split, read, or write
>
> zipsplit however does work on smaller (< 5Mb) files.
>
> Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug? I find it rather strange
> for a program to choke on large files, since splitting very large files
> is to my opinion the only thing for which zipsplit might be useful. But
> I might be wrong of course...
>
> Anyone experienced the same problem with zipsplit? Or should I file a bug?

It means that there is an element (file) in the archive > 100000 bytes
(zipsplit does not split files, this is a feature). Chose a more
appropriate size value or use split(1).

-jh