Old 07-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Jimmy Montague

Default new guy checking in

Hi all. I'm new here. I'm new to Ubuntu and almost new to Linux. I've
had dual-boot systems up and running several times in the past. I'm back
again only because I've discovered that OO will import my WordPerfect
files, and WordPerfect was the one thing that kept me glued to Mr. Bill.
Now I can bring my past life with me, I've decided to go with Linux
exclusively and wean myself from Mr. Bill in the process.

I was a DOS user in the days when DOS was all there was. I used MS-DOS
3.1, 4.5 and 5. Then I changed to DR-DOS 6 but shortly thereafter saw
I'd have to give it up. I installed Windows 3.1 in 1994 and have used
every version since -- until Vista. I never installed Vista and I never
will and I'll never pay $500 for an OS if I live to be 110 -- and I
won't. If it hadn't been for my WordPerfect habit I would have switched
long ago. I kept waiting, hoping Corel would see the light and give me a
real Linux version of WP, but they never did and they never will. Now OO
will do the chores, I'll go with OO.

Right now I need some help with hdd administration. My system has 3
hdds: I have two 80-gig ide Western Digitals. One is Master on the
primary strap; the other is Master on the secondary strap. The third
drive is an 80-gig Maxtor mounted externally via USB.

Ubuntu formatted the WD on the primary strap. It is hda. Ubuntu did NOT
format either of the other two drives. The master on the secondary strap
is still formatted NTFS. So is the Maxtor. I want EVERYTHING formatted
Linux, in whatever fashion you guys think is best.

How can I do that?

Old 07-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Rashkae

Jimmy Montague wrote:

> Ubuntu formatted the WD on the primary strap. It is hda. Ubuntu did NOT
> format either of the other two drives. The master on the secondary strap
> is still formatted NTFS. So is the Maxtor. I want EVERYTHING formatted
> Linux, in whatever fashion you guys think is best.
>
> How can I do that?

Installing Gparted is probably a good way to go. That will add a nice,
graphical, hard drive partition editor in your System -> Administration
menu.

course, we can always go old school and show you how to do this fun
stuff from a command line (Fdisk/cfdisk and mkfs.ext3 commands, in
this case.)

Old 07-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

Jimmy Montague wrote:
> Hi all. I'm new here. I'm new to Ubuntu and almost new to Linux.
> I've had dual-boot systems up and running several times in the
> past. I'm back again only because I've discovered that OO will
> import my WordPerfect files, and WordPerfect was the one thing that
> kept me glued to Mr. Bill. Now I can bring my past life with me,
> I've decided to go with Linux exclusively and wean myself from Mr.
> Bill in the process.
>
> I was a DOS user in the days when DOS was all there was. I used
> MS-DOS 3.1, 4.5 and 5. Then I changed to DR-DOS 6 but shortly
> thereafter saw I'd have to give it up. I installed Windows 3.1 in
> 1994 and have used every version since -- until Vista. I never
> installed Vista and I never will and I'll never pay $500 for an OS
> if I live to be 110 -- and I won't. If it hadn't been for my
> WordPerfect habit I would have switched long ago. I kept waiting,
> hoping Corel would see the light and give me a real Linux version
> of WP, but they never did and they never will. Now OO will do the
> chores, I'll go with OO.
>
> Right now I need some help with hdd administration. My system has 3
> hdds: I have two 80-gig ide Western Digitals. One is Master on the
> primary strap; the other is Master on the secondary strap. The
> third drive is an 80-gig Maxtor mounted externally via USB.
>
> Ubuntu formatted the WD on the primary strap. It is hda. Ubuntu did
> NOT format either of the other two drives. The master on the
> secondary strap is still formatted NTFS. So is the Maxtor. I want
> EVERYTHING formatted Linux, in whatever fashion you guys think is
> best.
>
> How can I do that?

I presume that you're running Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 (rather than Kubuntu
or Xubuntu). And I presume that you've already got anything that you
wanted off the two NTFS drives. :-)

I'm very partial to GParted. A very good tool much like Partition
Magic under Windows that you might want to have in your bag of tricks.

Go here to download the CD ISO image (0.3.7.7):
<http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php>

Reboot with it in place and use it to delete the partitions on the two
NTFS drives and replace them with whatever you're using for Ubuntu,
which is probably ext3 (the default).

HTH...and welcome aboard.
NP: nothing

Old 07-17-2008, 05:06 PM
"Jim Rosser"

I don't know the specifics because im at work and using windows but i believe you can use gparted which you should be able to find in Administration i think.* That should help you reformat your other drives.

[...]

Jim Rosser
Winchester Designs

Old 07-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Ulin the Tech Mage

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 10:04 -0700, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> Jimmy Montague wrote:
> > Hi all. I'm new here. I'm new to Ubuntu and almost new to Linux.
> > I've had dual-boot systems up and running several times in the
> > past. I'm back again only because I've discovered that OO will
> > import my WordPerfect files, and WordPerfect was the one thing that
> > kept me glued to Mr. Bill. Now I can bring my past life with me,
> > I've decided to go with Linux exclusively and wean myself from Mr.
> > Bill in the process.
> >
> > I was a DOS user in the days when DOS was all there was. I used
> > MS-DOS 3.1, 4.5 and 5. Then I changed to DR-DOS 6 but shortly
> > thereafter saw I'd have to give it up. I installed Windows 3.1 in
> > 1994 and have used every version since -- until Vista. I never
> > installed Vista and I never will and I'll never pay $500 for an OS
> > if I live to be 110 -- and I won't. If it hadn't been for my
> > WordPerfect habit I would have switched long ago. I kept waiting,
> > hoping Corel would see the light and give me a real Linux version
> > of WP, but they never did and they never will. Now OO will do the
> > chores, I'll go with OO.
> >
> > Right now I need some help with hdd administration. My system has 3
> > hdds: I have two 80-gig ide Western Digitals. One is Master on the
> > primary strap; the other is Master on the secondary strap. The
> > third drive is an 80-gig Maxtor mounted externally via USB.
> >
> > Ubuntu formatted the WD on the primary strap. It is hda. Ubuntu did
> > NOT format either of the other two drives. The master on the
> > secondary strap is still formatted NTFS. So is the Maxtor. I want
> > EVERYTHING formatted Linux, in whatever fashion you guys think is
> > best.
> >
> > How can I do that?
>
> I presume that you're running Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 (rather than Kubuntu
> or Xubuntu). And I presume that you've already got anything that you
> wanted off the two NTFS drives. :-)
>
> I'm very partial to GParted. A very good tool much like Partition
> Magic under Windows that you might want to have in your bag of tricks.
>
> Go here to download the CD ISO image (0.3.7.7):
> <http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php>
>
> Reboot with it in place and use it to delete the partitions on the two
> NTFS drives and replace them with whatever you're using for Ubuntu,
> which is probably ext3 (the default).
>
> HTH...and welcome aboard.
> --
> Cheers, SDM -- a 21st Century Schizoid Man
> Systems Theory internet music project: <www.systemstheory.net>
> on MySpace: <www.myspace.com/systemstheory>
> on Last FM: <www.last.fm/music/Systems+Theory>
> get "Codetalkers" *free* at <www.mikedickson.org.uk/codetalkers>
> NP: nothing

why go that route when you can "sudo apt-get install gparted"? and from
there you can graphicly repartion the drives and then create a FS

Old 07-17-2008, 05:33 PM

From: Steven Davies-Morris <sdavmor@systemstheory.net>
> Jimmy Montague wrote:
> >
> > Right now I need some help with hdd administration. My system has 3
> > hdds: I have two 80-gig ide Western Digitals. One is Master on the
> > primary strap; the other is Master on the secondary strap. The
> > third drive is an 80-gig Maxtor mounted externally via USB.
> >
> > Ubuntu formatted the WD on the primary strap. It is hda. Ubuntu did
> > NOT format either of the other two drives. The master on the
> > secondary strap is still formatted NTFS. So is the Maxtor. I want
> > EVERYTHING formatted Linux, in whatever fashion you guys think is
> > best.
> >
> > How can I do that?
>
> I presume that you're running Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 (rather than Kubuntu
> or Xubuntu). And I presume that you've already got anything that you
> wanted off the two NTFS drives. :-)
>
> I'm very partial to GParted. A very good tool much like Partition
> Magic under Windows that you might want to have in your bag of tricks.
>
> Go here to download the CD ISO image (0.3.7.7):
> <http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php>
>
> Reboot with it in place and use it to delete the partitions on the two
> NTFS drives and replace them with whatever you're using for Ubuntu,
> which is probably ext3 (the default).
>
> HTH...and welcome aboard.
> --

Since the two remaining drives are separate disks,

sudo apt-get install gparted

will install gparted which can then be run from within your installed distro.

Make sure you format hdb and hdc, not hda!!!
Paul

Old 07-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

Ulin the Tech Mage wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 10:04 -0700, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
>> Jimmy Montague wrote:
>>> Hi all. I'm new here. I'm new to Ubuntu and almost new to
>>> Linux. I've had dual-boot systems up and running several times
>>> in the past. I'm back again only because I've discovered that
>>> OO will import my WordPerfect files, and WordPerfect was the
>>> one thing that kept me glued to Mr. Bill. Now I can bring my
>>> past life with me, I've decided to go with Linux exclusively
>>> and wean myself from Mr. Bill in the process.
>>>
>>> I was a DOS user in the days when DOS was all there was. I used
>>> MS-DOS 3.1, 4.5 and 5. Then I changed to DR-DOS 6 but shortly
>>> thereafter saw I'd have to give it up. I installed Windows 3.1
>>> in 1994 and have used every version since -- until Vista. I
>>> never installed Vista and I never will and I'll never pay $500
>>> for an OS if I live to be 110 -- and I won't. If it hadn't been
>>> for my WordPerfect habit I would have switched long ago. I
>>> kept waiting, hoping Corel would see the light and give me a
>>> real Linux version of WP, but they never did and they never
>>> will. Now OO will do the chores, I'll go with OO.
>>>
>>> Right now I need some help with hdd administration. My system
>>> has 3 hdds: I have two 80-gig ide Western Digitals. One is
>>> Master on the primary strap; the other is Master on the
>>> secondary strap. The third drive is an 80-gig Maxtor mounted
>>> externally via USB.
>>>
>>> Ubuntu formatted the WD on the primary strap. It is hda. Ubuntu
>>> did NOT format either of the other two drives. The master on
>>> the secondary strap is still formatted NTFS. So is the Maxtor.
>>> I want EVERYTHING formatted Linux, in whatever fashion you guys
>>> think is best.
>>>
>>> How can I do that?
>> I presume that you're running Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 (rather than
>> Kubuntu or Xubuntu). And I presume that you've already got
>> anything that you wanted off the two NTFS drives. :-)
>>
>> I'm very partial to GParted. A very good tool much like Partition
>> Magic under Windows that you might want to have in your bag of
>> tricks.
>>
>> Go here to download the CD ISO image (0.3.7.7):
>> <http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php>
>>
>> Reboot with it in place and use it to delete the partitions on
>> the two NTFS drives and replace them with whatever you're using
>> for Ubuntu, which is probably ext3 (the default).
>
> why go that route when you can "sudo apt-get install gparted"? and
> from there you can graphicly repartion the drives and then create a
> FS

He certainly can do that too. I like to have the bootable Gparted CD
in my portable toolbox, which is why I suggested it.
NP: nothing

Old 07-18-2008, 05:00 AM
"debiani386@gmail.com"

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 11:53 -0500, Jimmy Montague wrote:
> Hi all. I'm new here. I'm new to Ubuntu and almost new to Linux. I've
> had dual-boot systems up and running several times in the past. I'm back
> again only because I've discovered that OO will import my WordPerfect
> files, and WordPerfect was the one thing that kept me glued to Mr. Bill.
> Now I can bring my past life with me, I've decided to go with Linux
> exclusively and wean myself from Mr. Bill in the process.
>
> I was a DOS user in the days when DOS was all there was. I used MS-DOS
> 3.1, 4.5 and 5. Then I changed to DR-DOS 6 but shortly thereafter saw
> I'd have to give it up. I installed Windows 3.1 in 1994 and have used
> every version since -- until Vista. I never installed Vista and I never
> will and I'll never pay $500 for an OS if I live to be 110 -- and I
> won't. If it hadn't been for my WordPerfect habit I would have switched
> long ago. I kept waiting, hoping Corel would see the light and give me a
> real Linux version of WP, but they never did and they never will. Now OO
> will do the chores, I'll go with OO.
>
> Right now I need some help with hdd administration. My system has 3
> hdds: I have two 80-gig ide Western Digitals. One is Master on the
> primary strap; the other is Master on the secondary strap. The third
> drive is an 80-gig Maxtor mounted externally via USB.
>
> Ubuntu formatted the WD on the primary strap. It is hda. Ubuntu did NOT
> format either of the other two drives. The master on the secondary strap
> is still formatted NTFS. So is the Maxtor. I want EVERYTHING formatted
> Linux, in whatever fashion you guys think is best.
>
> How can I do that?

well i like to take easy street when it comes down to formatting drives
on linux so i choose gparted. When it loads, it will search all the
drives on your computer and display what partition they are using. You
can then change and format the partitions from there

hth
--cj