-   -   Removing Evolution (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/126566-removing-evolution.html)

Wally 07-17-2008 03:42 PM

Removing Evolution

Is there a way to remove the program Evolution?

When I try to uninstall it using the add/remove application, I get a
message that says to use the Synaptic package manager.

Thanks,

WALLY

Rashkae 07-17-2008 03:49 PM

Removing Evolution

Wally wrote:
> Is there a way to remove the program Evolution?
>
> When I try to uninstall it using the add/remove application, I get a
> message that says to use the Synaptic package manager.
>
> Thanks,
>
> WALLY

Then use the synapctic package manager :)

What this means, however, is that there are other programs on your
computer that depend on Evolution, and removing Evolution requires
removing those as well. On my Gutsy system, those are just Evolution
plugins and what not, so no worries

BTW, synaptic package manager is in your System -> Administration menu.

Pastor JW 07-17-2008 03:58 PM

Removing Evolution

On Thursday 17 July 2008 08:42:50 am Wally wrote:
> Is there a way to remove the program Evolution?

Yes, just use Synaptic Package manager.

> When I try to uninstall it using the add/remove application, I get a
> message that says to use the Synaptic package manager.

I suspect it is the recomended tool as there are dependencies to clean up
also. Of course it is the package manager of choice for me too. I did not
think I would like it but I was wrong, ....and not for the first time! :(

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

"drew einhorn" 07-17-2008 04:05 PM

Removing Evolution

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:

Wally wrote:

> Is there a way to remove the program Evolution?

> When I try to uninstall it using the add/remove application, I get a

> message that says to use the Synaptic package manager.

> Thanks,

> WALLY

Then use the synapctic package manager :)

What this means, however, is that there are other programs on your

computer that depend on Evolution, and removing Evolution requires

removing those as well. *On my Gutsy system, those are just Evolution

plugins and what not, so no worries

BTW, synaptic package manager is in your System -> Administration menu.

I can remove most, but not all of evolution without Synaptic complaining about dependencies,
but the next time I run an update they all come back.* Doesn't make sense to me.

--
Drew Einhorn

Wally 07-17-2008 04:23 PM

Removing Evolution

Thank you. That seems to have worked.

But since I had never use Synaptic, I was not familiar with it.

WALLY

Gilles Gravier 07-17-2008 04:25 PM

Removing Evolution

Evolution data server is a required part of GNOME... so don't try to
remove that part.

You can remove :

evolution
evolution-common
evolution-exchange
evolution-plugins

But leave evolution-data-server and evolution-data-server-common

Gilles

--
/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles@Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles@Gravier.org>
ICQ : *77488526*

wayward4now 09-18-2011 08:31 PM

removing evolution

Wow! Try to remove Evolution and it will jerk out half of my
installation. I assume if there is to be a migration to Thunderbird,
that there will be a safe and sane way to do that? Ric

Juan 09-18-2011 09:44 PM

removing evolution

El 18/09/11 16:31, wayward4now escribi:
Wow! Try to remove Evolution and it will jerk out half of my
installation. I assume if there is to be a migration to Thunderbird,
that there will be a safe and sane way to do that? Ric

I am running only Thunderbird on my system (11.04). In another install
(virtualized) the entire operating system was vapor ware after a
successful Evolution unistall that deleted vital files.

I choosed not to play with any linux system until now that my work asked
me to.

"Sharl.Jimh.Tsin" 09-19-2011 03:13 AM

removing evolution

在 2011-09-18日的 16:31 -0400,wayward4now写道:
> Wow! Try to remove Evolution and it will jerk out half of my
> installation. I assume if there is to be a migration to Thunderbird,
> that there will be a safe and sane way to do that? Ric

hmm,you could uninstall it in Ubuntu Package Manager,but not completely
maybe,such as some applet of Gnome status bar.

--
Best regards,
Sharl.Jimh.Tsin (From China **Obviously Taiwan INCLUDED**)

Using Gmail? Please read this important notice:
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/jstrap/gmail?10073.

Allan Aguilar 09-19-2011 04:18 AM

removing evolution