Old 07-17-2008, 12:06 PM
"Michael P. Varre"

Default hash sum mismatch when trying to upgrade

> Found the problem; it's the '-d' on the end of do-release-upgrade! The
> -d instructs the upgrade manager to try and load the _development_
> versions; however, 8.04.1 is fully released so there is no development
> packages to fetch. So give this a try:
>
> sudo aptitude upgrade
> sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
> sudo aptitude install update-manager-core
> sudo do-release-upgrade
>
> and you should be good to go. Note: don't forget to do the 'sudo
> aptitude dist-upgrade'.
>
> I also found a related bug:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager-
> core/+bug/223741
> I'll put a note on there about the '-d' screwing things up & also a
> note
> to the upgrade page on the website.
>
> Gary

[Michael P. Varre]
HAH, it was really that simple! It works great now.

Ok, so I blame myself for not realizing the 8.04.1 was fully released, but man am I happy it at least happened to you at first. Thanks for staying on top of this Gary!

Old 07-17-2008, 05:24 PM
NoOp

On 07/17/2008 05:06 AM, Michael P. Varre wrote:

>> Found the problem; it's the '-d' on the end of do-release-upgrade!
>> The -d instructs the upgrade manager to try and load the
>> _development_ versions; however, 8.04.1 is fully released so there
>> is no development packages to fetch. So give this a try:
>>
>> sudo aptitude upgrade sudo aptitude dist-upgrade sudo aptitude
>> install update-manager-core sudo do-release-upgrade
>>
>> and you should be good to go. Note: don't forget to do the 'sudo
>> aptitude dist-upgrade'.
>>
>> I also found a related bug:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager-
>> core/+bug/223741 I'll put a note on there about the '-d' screwing
>> things up & also a note to the upgrade page on the website.
>>
>> Gary
>>

> [Michael P. Varre] HAH, it was really that simple! It works great
> now.
>
> Ok, so I blame myself for not realizing the 8.04.1 was fully
> released, but man am I happy it at least happened to you at first.
> Thanks for staying on top of this Gary!

No need to blame yourself for anything. The upgrade inststructions on:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
specifically state:
<quote>
Network upgrade for Ubuntu servers (recommended)

If you run an Ubuntu server, you should use the new server upgrade system.

1. enable the "dapper-updates" repository
2. install the new "update-manager-core" package - dependencies
include python-apt, python-gnupginterface and python2.4-apt.
3. run "do-release-upgrade -d" in a terminal window
4. follow the steps on the terminal window
</quote>

You were following the directions.
That's why I mentioned in the bug report that this should now be
changed to "do-release-upgrade" without the '-d'.

What gave me the hint that the -d might be a problem was this:

http://lair.moria.org/blog/archives/13
<quote>
Finally the update can be performed

do-release-update -p

The -p parameter is due to the fact that the LTS as defined at
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/meta-release-lts is still showing dapper as
the LTS, and should be able to be omitted in the future. with the -p,
the meta-release-lts.proposed file is used instead.
</quote>

So I figured that the -d meant that meta-release-lts.development should
be used. Sure enough, that's what it is doing. See:
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/ for the differences.

Anyway, glad it's working for you. Now you get to deal with the issues
_after_ the upgrades :-)