Old 11-20-2007, 01:19 PM
"John Dangler"

Default FF Bookmarks Gone?

Running Gutsy on a Dell 810.
This morning I opened FF to discover there are no bookmarks. I've
collected about 60 since loading Gutsy. Anyone seen this behavior with
the recent updates or otherwise?

Old 11-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Steve Grace

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 09:19 -0500, John Dangler wrote:
> Running Gutsy on a Dell 810.
> This morning I opened FF to discover there are no bookmarks. I've
> collected about 60 since loading Gutsy. Anyone seen this behavior with
> the recent updates or otherwise?

I've had a few issues like this on Dapper in the past. If I recall, the
entire Bookmarks and Help menus were gone, as well as the toolbar
buttons (from the Bookmarks Toolbar Folder). I was able to get the menus
and buttons back by disabling and re-enabling extensions.

The problems seemed to be related to installing/upgrading extensions or
to installing security updates to Firefox.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Thilo Six

John Dangler wrote the following on 20.11.2007 15:19
> Running Gutsy on a Dell 810.
> This morning I opened FF to discover there are no bookmarks. I've
> collected about 60 since loading Gutsy. Anyone seen this behavior with
> the recent updates or otherwise?

cd ~/.mozilla/firefox/_RaNdOm_/bookmarkbackups/

bye
--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 11-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Caleb Marcus

cd ~/.mozilla/firefox/_RaNdOm_/bookmarkbackups/

bye

Just thought I might add, you can re-import that html file of bookmarks with Bookmarks>Organize Bookmarks>File>Import. You may want to copy the file somewhere in case this somehow clobbers the backup file.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:54 PM
anthony baldwin

Thilo Six wrote:
> John Dangler wrote the following on 20.11.2007 15:19
>
>> Running Gutsy on a Dell 810.
>> This morning I opened FF to discover there are no bookmarks. I've
>> collected about 60 since loading Gutsy. Anyone seen this behavior with
>> the recent updates or otherwise?
>>

> cd ~/.mozilla/firefox/_RaNdOm_/bookmarkbackups/
>
> bye

I occasionally export mine and save them with regular backups.
Of course, at this point, I need to clean them up.
I think I have sites that I bookmarked three years ago that no longer
exist and stuff.

/tony

--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
Translation & Interpreting

Old 11-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Thilo Six

Caleb Marcus wrote the following on 20.11.2007 21:52

>> cd ~/.mozilla/firefox/_RaNdOm_/bookmarkbackups/
>>
> Just thought I might add, you can re-import that html file of bookmarks
> with Bookmarks>Organize Bookmarks>File>Import.

That has the disadvantage that maybe some bookmarks are duped afterwards.
I would close all FF windows then:

$ cd ~/.mozilla/firefox/_RaNdOm_/bookmarkbackups/
$ cp -v bookmarks-2007-XX-YY.html ../bookmarks.html

> You may want to copy the
> file somewhere in case this somehow clobbers the backup file.

To make backups is always a gooood recommendation.

bye
--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 11-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Bas Roufs

John Dangler wrote:
> Running Gutsy on a Dell 810.
> This morning I opened FF to discover there are no bookmarks. I've
> collected about 60 since loading Gutsy. Anyone seen this behavior with
> the recent updates or otherwise?

Ever since about one week I dealt with a similar problem. Probably I
managed to solve it. In my case, it had to do with problems related to
the add-on 'Foxmarks', software meant to synchronise the bookmarks of
Firefox running on two or more computers.

Step 1.
I started Firefox and I found the vanished bookmarks elsewhere under the
menu 'bookmarks'. Because of some bug in Foxmark, the 'personal
toolbar' had been shifted from the toolbar to another place that I found
via the 'bookmarks' menu, under the name 'personal toolbar'. There you
will might back all the 'lost' bookmarks, as I did.

Step 2.
Last Friday, an update of 'Foxmarks' had been issued. However, one day
later, it had been withdrawn because of several technical problems. What
I did:
UNinstall Foxmarks 2.0 via TOOLS>add-ons>extensions
than INSTALL the previous version, 1.01.

Ever since I re-installed Foxmark 1.01 I everything runs smoothly again.

Respectfully Yours,

Bas.

--
Viaconsensus