KauÍ Linden 07-11-2008 02:16 PM

unsubscribing

"Brie Gordon" 07-11-2008 02:24 PM

unsubscribing

And try the form towards the bottom of the page, it might be easier for you.
Regards,

Brie Gordon

http://granite.sru.edu/~bag6849/index.html

"Michael "TheZorch" Haney" 07-11-2008 05:44 PM

unsubscribing

Brie Gordon wrote:

> And try the form towards the bottom of the page, it might be easier
> for you.
> Regards,
I'm not sure if anyone of you realize this or not (or even care) but you
drove this person away. This is one of the BIGGEST complaints I hear
from people about Linux is that the community isn't kind to newbies, and
you're proving their statement right with how this guy was treated in
this group. He didn't get flamed but nobody really tried to actually
help this guy in a way he'd understand. It was obvious from his post
that he was a complete newbie to Linux and not even really that computer
literate either. People's replies to his post either talked down to him
like he was stupid or failed to really give him the help he needed and
this is unacceptable considering that Ubuntu is all about Community.

We lost a possible Linux convert today, and it might be sometime if ever
that this person will consider trying it again. I think its really sad
that this happened especially in a forum for a OS which touts Community
Togetherness as its highest resource.

Just some food for thought.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

"Brie Gordon" 07-11-2008 06:10 PM

unsubscribing

I hope you don't mean that I single-handedly drove him away.* He asked a question and I provided him with a link that would allow him to do what he wanted to do!

Unsubscribing from the mailing list does not equal not using Linux.

Mario Vukelic 07-11-2008 06:34 PM

unsubscribing

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 15:22 -0300, Santiago HernŠndez Lemes wrote:
> As a newbie, I am with you Michael, I have done questions and people
> here never replied to me... Really sad...

Santiago,

I count 13 posts from you on the list since April, and a quick scan told
me that (nearly?) all of them had replies. Could you point out
unanswered posts in the list archives at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/ ? Thanks.

Also, if you received no answer to some posts, it might just mean that
nobody knew an answer.

Lastly, everybody here is a volunteer, donating his or her own time.
There is commercial support available here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/paid

Bart Silverstrim 07-11-2008 06:46 PM

unsubscribing

Santiago HernŠndez Lemes wrote:
> As a newbie, I am with you Michael, I have done questions and people here
> never replied to me... Really sad...

Hey! I have questions that aren't answered...I have one right now that I
haven't heard anything about, regarding VMWare. You didn't answer it.
Should I assume it's because you don't know, or because you are ignoring me?

It isn't sad. Sometimes you have a problem that people don't have an
answer to. Everyone here is a *volunteer*. If I had to choose between NO
list to ask questions to or one where I may get ignored or have to
occasionally get a snarky response, I'd choose the latter.

The original complaint about driving the newbie away, I don't know what
part of the message you quoted was negative? It had a link and said to
try the form at the bottom...what's wrong with that?

Karl Larsen 07-11-2008 06:48 PM

unsubscribing

Santiago HernŠndez Lemes wrote:
> As a newbie, I am with you Michael, I have done questions and people here
> never replied to me... Really sad...
>
> 2008/7/11 Brie Gordon <brie.gordon@gmail.com>:
>

>> I hope you don't mean that I single-handedly drove him away. He asked a
>> question and I provided him with a link that would allow him to do what he
>> wanted to do!
>>
>> Unsubscribing from the mailing list does not equal not using Linux.
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Brie Gordon
>>
>> http://granite.sru.edu/~bag6849/index.html<http://granite.sru.edu/%7Ebag6849/index.html>
>>

>> --

We need to be big enough to realize that Linux is not for everyone.
An old person who has used windows for 5 years and then tries Ubuntu and
this list can be blown away by the complexity. That is why it's such a
real milestone when a computer company will sell you a computer with
Ubuntu installed.

You bring it home and it comes up and works just like windows.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

"Santiago HernŠndez Lemes" 07-11-2008 06:57 PM

unsubscribing

** We need to be big enough to realize that Linux is not for everyone.

An old person who has used windows for 5 years and then tries Ubuntu and

this list can be blown away by the complexity. That is why it's such a

real milestone when a computer company will sell you a computer with

Ubuntu installed.

I think that Ubuntu is for me, I am a newbie, but I used it for 2 years, I am a software developer and I am working in a company as QA with Ubuntu machines.
I did not ask newbie quetions, I think that they where middle complex questions...

PD: Sorry for my english

2008/7/11 Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>:

Santiago HernŠndez Lemes wrote:

> As a newbie, I am with you Michael, I have done questions and people here

> never replied to me... Really sad...

> 2008/7/11 Brie Gordon <brie.gordon@gmail.com>:

>> I hope you don't mean that I single-handedly drove him away. *He asked a

>> question and I provided him with a link that would allow him to do what he

>> wanted to do!

>> Unsubscribing from the mailing list does not equal not using Linux.

>> Regards,

>> Brie Gordon

>> http://granite.sru.edu/~bag6849/index.html<http://granite.sru.edu/%7Ebag6849/index.html>

>> --

* *We need to be big enough to realize that Linux is not for everyone.

An old person who has used windows for 5 years and then tries Ubuntu and

this list can be blown away by the complexity. That is why it's such a

real milestone when a computer company will sell you a computer with

Ubuntu installed.

* * You bring it home and it comes up and works just like windows.

Karl

--

* * * *Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI

* * * *Linux User

* * * *#450462 * http://counter.li.org.

* PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C *ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7

"Michael "TheZorch" Haney" 07-11-2008 08:13 PM

unsubscribing

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Hey! I have questions that aren't answered...I have one right now that I
> haven't heard anything about, regarding VMWare. You didn't answer it.
> Should I assume it's because you don't know, or because you are ignoring me?
>
> It isn't sad. Sometimes you have a problem that people don't have an
> answer to. Everyone here is a *volunteer*. If I had to choose between NO
> list to ask questions to or one where I may get ignored or have to
> occasionally get a snarky response, I'd choose the latter.
>
> The original complaint about driving the newbie away, I don't know what
> part of the message you quoted was negative? It had a link and said to
> try the form at the bottom...what's wrong with that?
My post wasn't for Brie Gordon but to the community as a whole, maybe I
should have been clearly on that. It pertained to the guy's question
about installing Ubuntu. He downloaded, didn't really know how to use a
.ISO file and Windows being Windows tried to open it with Notepad. So,
let me be clear, this isn't about Brie Gordon's response on this thread,
but about the way people responded to this guy on his first one asking
for help.