Old 07-11-2008, 09:26 PM
NoOp

Default unsubscribing

On 07/11/2008 01:38 PM, Aquil H. Abdullah wrote:
> Kill this thread please. The user who started the thread was a linux
> newbie, in fact he may have been a computer newbie, and on top of that there
> may have been some things lost in translation. Anyway, Linux is not for the
> faint of heart. Ubuntu, has made it a lot easier for non-Linux folks to
> ease into the Linux world; the fact that Dell ships with it may serve to
> support my delirium. The bottom line Linux will appeal to some, but not to
> most, all we can do is continue to support each other on lists, forums, and
> blogs until the *most* have a need to be hackers like us.
>
> Regards

I doubt that he was a 'computer newbie' - here is his entire (and only)
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/150726
Anyone that has the stones to install Ubuntu on a MacBook Air certainly
has my respect.

Michael made the accusation that this list drove the OP away and that
the OP was treated badly by the list; I see no evidence of that, do you?

Old 07-11-2008, 09:27 PM

> That is not Writting it should be writing. Well a lot
> of us have trouble with writing. And yes I assumbed you were
> in a country that uses Spanish like Mexico.

Karl,

That's 'assumed', not 'assumbed'.

All,

As an immigrant to the United States, I have yet to see a problem, fault
or stupidity that I have not seen else where in the world.
Historically, the US has taken the debris of humanity and lifted it up.
Not painlessly, but you get what you put in. Keep up the good work!

product doctrine and thus protected from disclosure. If the reader
copies and backups thereof. Thank you.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Chris Jones

Brie Gordon wrote:
> I hope you don't mean that I single-handedly drove him away. He asked a
> question and I provided him with a link that would allow him to do what
> he wanted to do!
>
> Unsubscribing from the mailing list does not equal not using Linux.

I'm with you. I don't think your reply was bad in any way what so ever.
Helpful in fact. Michael's response itself was what was OT IMHO ...

Chris

Old 07-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Rashkae

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> Not too bad a result, I would think. Why do you think that Leslie was
> treated badly? I really want to know.

There was the glib reply I made to him on another thread when he seemed
to think that messages sent to the list were being directed to him
personally. That was probably as rude as Leslie got, and while I'm
likely not the best judge of my own actions, methinks it wasn't so bad.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Chris Jones

>> The original complaint about driving the newbie away, I don't know what
>> part of the message you quoted was negative? It had a link and said to
>> try the form at the bottom...what's wrong with that?
> My post wasn't for Brie Gordon but to the community as a whole, maybe I
> should have been clearly on that. It pertained to the guy's question
> about installing Ubuntu. He downloaded, didn't really know how to use a
> .ISO file and Windows being Windows tried to open it with Notepad. So,
> let me be clear, this isn't about Brie Gordon's response on this thread,
> but about the way people responded to this guy on his first one asking
> for help.

The thing is this thread is nothing to do with the above. It was all
about how to un-subscribe from the list. The OP's post in full was

""

Yes, nothing at all. It was just a title "unsubscribing". I thing Brie's
reply was very helpful under the circumstances.

Chris

Old 07-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Chris Jones

> Michael made the accusation that this list drove the OP away and that
> the OP was treated badly by the list; I see no evidence of that, do you?

I don't

Chris

Old 07-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Res

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Michael "TheZorch" Haney wrote:

> I'm not sure if anyone of you realize this or not (or even care) but you
> drove this person away. This is one of the BIGGEST complaints I hear
> from people about Linux is that the community isn't kind to newbies, and
> you're proving their statement right with how this guy was treated in
> this group. He didn't get flamed but nobody really tried to actually

This is very typical of the 'self appointed list controllers' here, I
had it out with them many months ago over the way they treat newbies,
thankfully I'm a veteran on unix and linux so I know there's nothing these
rude assholes will ever be able to help with me with, but I challenged
them because I do feel for the newbie, and one thing these idiots forget,
is that THEY TOO were once a newbie and needed help on what appears to
even them now days as stupid questions.

PS To the ones concerned (you know who you are) don't bother replying as I
still cant see your posts, as I have no desire to read your same 'ol
drivel rebutting what I've said, because I've heard your lame reasons so
many times before and I stil regard them/you as a joke.

> that this person will consider trying it again. I think its really sad
> that this happened especially in a forum for a OS which touts Community
> Togetherness as its highest resource.

Oh it's not just here, the fedora *cough* "community" *cough* is just
as anal, but... the blame lies with the 'real list moderators', for
letting these users drive the lists into such a state that scares 90%
of newbies into not asking for help and ultimately returning to whatever
other OS they used, so don't expect any change, not at least until the
moderators grow some balls and start reigning these people in.

Res

Old 07-12-2008, 12:10 AM
"Steve C. Lamb"

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 09:56:56AM +1000, Res wrote:
> This is very typical of the 'self appointed list controllers' here, I

Don't feed the trolls.

--
Steve C. Lamb | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
PGP Key: 8B6E99C5 | main connection to the switchboard of souls.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:51 AM
Bart Silverstrim

Res wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Michael "TheZorch" Haney wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if anyone of you realize this or not (or even care) but you
>> drove this person away. This is one of the BIGGEST complaints I hear
>> from people about Linux is that the community isn't kind to newbies, and
>> you're proving their statement right with how this guy was treated in
>> this group. He didn't get flamed but nobody really tried to actually
>
> This is very typical of the 'self appointed list controllers' here, I
> had it out with them many months ago over the way they treat newbies,
> thankfully I'm a veteran on unix and linux so I know there's nothing these
> rude assholes will ever be able to help with me with, but I challenged
> them because I do feel for the newbie, and one thing these idiots forget,
> is that THEY TOO were once a newbie and needed help on what appears to
> even them now days as stupid questions.

At the risk of being added to your sh*tlist (if I'm not
already)...wouldn't referring to people in such terms actually make you
just as rude and intolerant towards others?

Old 07-12-2008, 02:08 AM
Bart Silverstrim

Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Res wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Michael "TheZorch" Haney wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure if anyone of you realize this or not (or even care) but you
>>> drove this person away. This is one of the BIGGEST complaints I hear
>>> from people about Linux is that the community isn't kind to newbies, and
>>> you're proving their statement right with how this guy was treated in
>>> this group. He didn't get flamed but nobody really tried to actually
>>
>> This is very typical of the 'self appointed list controllers' here, I
>> had it out with them many months ago over the way they treat newbies,
>> thankfully I'm a veteran on unix and linux so I know there's nothing
>> these rude assholes will ever be able to help with me with, but I
>> challenged them because I do feel for the newbie, and one thing these
>> idiots forget, is that THEY TOO were once a newbie and needed help on
>> what appears to even them now days as stupid questions.
>
> At the risk of being added to your sh*tlist (if I'm not
> already)...wouldn't referring to people in such terms actually make you
> just as rude and intolerant towards others?

Well, I guess I am already on his list of offenders, as I just tried
sending him a private message and it was promptly bounced back as "For
<res@ausics.net>, Site (ausics.net/58.96.38.4) said: 550 5.0.0
<res@ausics.net>... Access Denied by Milter-CMTA"